Using/changing Gas Bottles

Will avoid dropping it!!!! Good tip though, thank you.

One of the things I have to look at is the size of the locker, there is room for two bottles side by side but I'm not sure there is any spare height.

Weather not looking great but should be able to get there sometime today, take a photo or two and see what's what!

Ray, I wouldn't worry about 2 bottles a new bottle is about 4 times the cost of a refill, I last changed ours Sept 2016 and we spend 2 weeks every month on board cooking daily.

It's a 4.5kg calor gas bottle that I expect to have to change soon.

Unless you have a gas fridge that is, our last boat ate gas a refill every 3-4 months.

paul

Thanks Paul, I guess if it lasts that long it is hardly worth adding a second one "just in case" The worse that can happen is no coffee for a couple of hours! OK, that is serious... but not life or death :)

OK, I have photos! It's clearly a blue 15kg Butane bottle, there is room for a second but I think I'll stick with one (see above). The locker needs cleaning up and if there is a vent checking and unblocking if needed. Once tidied and cleaned the storage space will be useful.

My only question now that remains is I couldn't see how that connecter works, I'd be grateful for any advice on how that works please.

IMG_20180204_111602560_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180204_111612719_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180204_111734911_HDR.jpg

I have one on order :) Thanks to Alan's earlier post. Soon I will have the locker clean, the tube fixed and a guage fitted!

I can't say I'm looking forward to the BSS if I'm honest although getting prepared for it is a great way to learn about my boat.

I have the galley empty at the moment, took everything home to clean and sort as the boat is new to us, would it be best to leave it this way until after the inspection as there is access to the fuel lines underneath the galley locker and I assume easy access for the inspection is helpful to the tester?

38 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Can I add that it would fail a BSS if there is anything in that locker except a gas bottle.

(So Iv'e been told)

You beat me to it BB but it seems it's no longer the case going by this note in the current bss regs but must be removed for the check.

NOTE– prior to checking the condition of cylinder lockers and housings examiners must ensure all loose portable items are removed.

It's still worth making sure there's nothing in there that can damage the regulator or pipework, let's face it how many of us always keep a gas spanner in the gas locker (assuming a spanner is required).

You do need to make sure the examiner can get at all the bits that need checking and it's easier to rectify any issues found without extra clutter so if stuff isn't needed it doesn't hurt to leave it at home.

Don't worry about the bss check ,most examiners will try and sort small issues there and then rather than fail the boat, if they don't use a different examiner next time.

• Like 1

On our last BSS everything passed OK but the examiner thought that the flame on the gas hob was a bit orange. Out came his tools and he stripped the cooker down cleaned out the jets and put it back together again for us, it now gives a perfect flame. Talk about going the extra mile he even came back with a new piece of fuel hose for the Ebber 'because the one on there 'looked a bit tired' even though it was dry with no leaks and had passed the BSS.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to follow up on this discussion, the BSS inspection was yesterday. She passed and the examiner was everything you said, he sorted an issue, gave me lots of good advice and went the extra mile including pulling the fridge out to view the fuel tank.

It felt like having a more experienced friend round showing me the ropes rather than an inspection :)

• Like 1