Chart plotter issues

Guest plesbit

Our boat came with a Navman 5600 chart plotter which a good friend of mine also had on his last boat and says it was brilliant. However there was no chart in the unit when we got the boat. Back in January at the Boat Show we bought the appropriate chart but only finally got around to fitting it last weekend. Alas the chart plotter does not recognise it.

Sunday afternoon we had the opportunity to exchange the chart card with a fellow forumite who lives in the neighbourhood and owns a shiny new Horizon chart plotter. We discovered that a) our chart worked fine in his Horizon and B) his chart didn't work at all in our Navman.

Any suggestions as to a course of action? I've inspected the contacts and they are shiny, clean and properly positioned so the implication is that the plotter is somehow not talking to them at all (broken solder or something?) or there is some larger issue with software having fouled up (though it works fine in all other respects). At the moment the plan is that my friend who formerly had the same unit himself (and still has the pieces of one at home) is going to take it away and check the joints etc. If that doesn't yield anything then it's a bin job. If anyone has any other ideas then I am listening....

Are they C map charts Simon?

Think there have been a fair number of non backward compatible chart releases in the last few years, NT, Max and Pro. Dependent on the age of your plotter you will need to go back to the right chart format.

I don't know what the age of the plotter is, though Navman are now defunct which doesn't help. It was ordered specifically for the 5600 and the retailer assured me it would work with it. The chart, IIRC, is a C-Map Max.

hi guys,

I too have a navman 5600 and my understanding is that it does not support NT max. When I bought a card for it it was NT+.

However, as you may have seen on another thread, the card is fine but my Navman doesnt want to pick up a satellite signal.

If anyone has any clues as to why...would be grateful to hear.

adam :pirate :pirate :pirate

Sorry Adam - my Navman picks up satellites at the drop of a hat. Knocks spots off the Garmin GPS also installed.

Ian, I may be talking rubbish about the chart type. A fellow forumite is presently in Brundall and will check on the unit. I'll do some Googling and see if I can come up with a definitive answer on what it will and will not accept and what I have given it. I don't know whether the NT / Max cards are a different physical form factor or just or whether the differences are just in software but one thing is certain - the card was the same physical form factor as Mark's and he says his is a Max card so if the 5600 isn't able to read Max cards then we have our problem.

Sorry Adam - my Navman picks up satellites at the drop of a hat. Knocks spots off the Garmin GPS also installed.

Ian, I may be talking rubbish about the chart type. A fellow forumite is presently in Brundall and will check on the unit. I'll do some Googling and see if I can come up with a definitive answer on what it will and will not accept and what I have given it. I don't know whether the NT / Max cards are a different physical form factor or just or whether the differences are just in software but one thing is certain - the card was the same physical form factor as Mark's and he says his is a Max card so if the 5600 isn't able to read Max cards then we have our problem.

Same size different software I am afraid Simon, mine is also Max so I am afraid you can't try mine either. Marks will definately be Max as his is the same age/type as mine, he is just a posh sod with a bigger one :grin:

Yeah I've just spoken to my friend Steve (you know the one!) and he confirms definitely not Max. Now all I need to establish is exactly what card I bought - I made it quite clear at the time what plotter it was for and trusted the judgment of the retailer that it would be the right one.

I'll swing by the boat on the way home, grab the card and see what I can find out. Fingers crossed it is just the wrong type of card because I don't fancy having to replace the unit at the moment!

Hi,

We had a Navman 5500 on our Rinker. I bought a c-map nt+ card for it as I was assured that the Navman did not support Max cards. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news. I kept my nt+ card which covers the Dover Strait to Great Yarmouth as I intend to get a Standard Horizon similar to Marks. How much did you pay for your Max card. We could maybe trade cards?

Regards

R&R

Well I think we've established that the plotter can't use the Max cards. We retrieved the card from the boat on the way home and, confusingly, it says C-Map NT on it, but underneath a huge mAx symbol. So I guess it's really a max card, hence why it doesn't work.

R&R, I'll try my luck with the retailer first and then look at other options but certainly a trade sounds good. How old is your card?

post-81-136713688466_thumb.jpg