Single Parent Hiring Boats

Loddonlad

So sorry to hear this Simon, I can't think of anyone who would take care of their hire boat more.

You have Simon who has been hiring boats for years both solo and with family who would care for the boat as if he owned it, then you would have all male and all female parties and the first timers. Nothing wrong with any of them, everyone has to start somewhere, nothing wrong with well behaved same sex parties but I'd know who I'd prefer to hire to

So if Simon takes the upgrade option he can't take one of his children along unless with another adult, this is health and safety at it's maddest

I hope you get sorted Simon

Grace

• Like 6

I was hoping that the OP had mis-interpreted the ban but sadly it seems not.

A sensible stance would be restrict single hire to a particular style of boat, be it solo or solo + kids.

Maybe the yard should offer a cruise in company boat where singles or couples can book an appropriate cabin on the boat and then cruise in company.

But the really sad thing is that people book a solo holiday because they want to experience the tranquility that the Broads can provide and there appears to be a move afoot to render this impossible.

Very very sad!!!!

• Like 2

This all seems very strange to me, and I can't help but wonder if there are matters involved of which we are unaware. The fact that Clive hasn't made comment also (to me) supports these doubts of mine.

One phrase that usually gets my hackles up is "Duty of care". I wonder if that is involved in this issue.

I don't know and I shall not be calling out "unfair" until I do... if ever I do! 

This all seems crazy to me, how to lose business without really trying! I’m sure Silverline allow solo cruisers and wonder if Pacific do. Also the Broads Boating Company. I’m surprised we haven’t yet heard anything from Freedom, they have a couple of good solo sized boats. To ban solo cruisers and single parent cruisers and still allow stag and hen hirers is daft, I know who I would rather meet on the river or moor alongside! (I do accept that there are exceptions to every rule though.)

I am also surprised that clive has not posted to explain and clarify.

There are a few thoughts going through my mind but perhaps best not posted unless there is some proof

Another  question I have.

Is  this new policy only Richardsonss or have any other yards recently changed their policy on solo hires.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arthur said:

I am also surprised that clive has not posted to explain and clarify.

There are a few thoughts going through my mind but perhaps best not posted unless there is some proof

Another  question I have.

Is  this new policy only Richardsonss or have any other yards recently changed their policy on solo hires.

I guess the only way to find out is to ring round and enquire. 

I’ve just thought of a great business idea !  I could rent my mum out to single parents who want to cruise with under 18’s, she would need help on and off the boat though.

She loves the Broads.

She is happy to quietly sit looking out the window at the scenery.

Doesn’t mind where you cruise.

Doesn’t drink alcohol anymore or eat much food.

Is a really good cook.

Has good knowledge of the Broads dating back to the 50’s.

She does know how to drive a boat but is half blind so it’s probably not a good idea to let her near a steering wheel.

Knows it takes 190 turns on the winch to close the roof on Richardson’s San Francisco !!

Lots of experience with children and has a frown that would stop a riot in Cairo !!

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

7 minutes ago, smellyloo said:

To compare the willingness to allow stag/hen hiring to solo hiring is not really an appropriate comparison, I think the augument to support solo/single parent hiring is justified in it's own right.

I was actually comparing the willingness to allow hirers who have a (not always representative) reputation of being rowdy and sometimes dangerous, to hirers who want to enjoy the Broads for what they are. 

My mum’s exactly the same Neil almost 87, loves the Broads, enjoys 2 holidays afloat each year.

could be a nice little business here.

Sorry to make light of this, It’s such a shame for Simon and anyone else who’s had their holiday plans spoiled by this change.

• Like 3

Extract from Hoseasons conditions of hire :

Section A clause 1

You as the person in charge of the party must be at least 18 at the time of the booking. There must be 2 adults over 18 in every party unless we say differently in our brochure that you must have 3 adults for a particular location.

This is a new one on me!

Extract from Richardsons conditions of hire (on their website) :

No boat may normally carry more persons than advertised by us.

They say nothing (that I can find) about minimum number of persons. They also say :

We have the right to refuse any booking before we send you written confirmation.

They say later, however, that they can cancel a booking up to 8 weeks before the departure date, although I take this to mean for operational reasons.

So as Richardsons rules stand, and if you are making a direct booking (as I have) then I can't see why they won't allow a regular customer like Simon to book single handed by prior arrangement - which he did.

• Like 3

Sometimes I try to be a touch discrete about things. More often than not it works, but sometimes it doesn't and however unpleasant it might be, I have to spell it out.  Consider the following...

!. Duty of care.

2. Recently a football coach has been convicted of unspeakable activities with youngsters.

3. Richardson's have decided that a single adult will not be permitted to hire a boat alone or with a child on board.

4. Wake up and smell the coffee. There may be reasons that they cannot or will not, hire out under certain circumstances.

Sorry to be blunt but have all those who have complained about this new ruling thought through ALL the possibilities?

• Like 1

I hear what you are saying MM bit extreme when you throw in a hire boat into the   Stituation though 

as regards any male solo hirer then rather than a life jacket boxing gloves may take care of any " duty of care " 

thats if it floats yer boat 

finny

7 hours ago, Gracie said:

So sorry to hear this Simon, I can't think of anyone who would take care of their hire boat more.

You have Simon who has been hiring boats for years both solo and with family who would care for the boat as if he owned it, then you would have all male and all female parties and the first timers. Nothing wrong with any of them, everyone has to start somewhere, nothing wrong with well behaved same sex parties but I'd know who I'd prefer to hire to

So if Simon takes the upgrade option he can't take one of his children along unless with another adult, this is health and safety at it's maddest

I hope you get sorted Simon

Grace

Thanks for your kind words, Grace and others who've offered supportive words as well. 

Well, I am sorted! Out goes Symphony from Richardsons, in comes Lady of Freedom from Freedom Boat Hire which I've booked today for the exact same dates. I'm pretty pleased with that because it seems an age since I was last on the South Broads. This will be my first Southern start since 2006 and my first non-Richardsons hire since 2012 (which was with Freedom when they were in Horning). I'm long overdue a change. 

I spoke to Chris from Richardsons again to cancel the booking and he offered me a £50 voucher as well as the refund which I thought was a nice gesture. 

• Like 10

Wow, this is bad news as I've had a few single hires from Richardsons and was thinking I might do this again for an impromptu break at some point this year.

I'm more suprised though that as others have said existing bookings taken have been cancelled.  Richardsons normally set a pretty good standard of how to do things and sorry but this just doesn't fit that.  

I always admire big companies who avoid that disastrous (in the longer term) corporate manager or accountant type of thinking, which appears  (on the face of it) to have been the reaction here  As this appears out of character my first thoughts are something really awful must have happened to force such an unenviable handling/policy change and to cancel long term customers bookings.

After long term experiences with them letting people down is not what I would expect from them, ever.

No doubt the reasons will become clear with time, hopefully once so it will seem more reasonable, and the business is not changing personality

Dan

• Like 5

Not sure we are any closer to the real truth - I guess only Richardsons can tell us that and they apparently do not want to!! Clearly it would appear that there is still more to this than meets the eye

I have to say that in the past I have always thought of them as being a relatively progressive company, but at this moment in time there seems to be a lot of "shooting oneself in the foot" going on - still thats down to them but sadly I think this whole episode is beginning to impact their business. But only marginally!!!!

• Like 2

I don't think that Richardsons would do anything that would impact their business without a great deal of thought and, as they see it, justification. I am actually quite surprised that so many people want to go solo! What also surprises me is that Clive, normally an affable sort of fellow, hasn't come along and explained this new policy as clearly it effects a number of forum members, especially as the forum has for so long been staunchly pro Richardsons. 

• Like 5

The only good part of this is that I have just booked Jayne from Martham boats for the spring meet weekend, as a solo hirer - I have had the confirmation email, and nothing yet asking questions (give them time I hear the cry) this is going to be a big adventure for me as a first solo hire, though not my first time on the broads.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1