Single Parent Hiring Boats

Loddonlad

7 hours ago, eastleigh33 said:

Haha yes indeed, if everyone's as friendly on the actual Broads as they are on here, then I'll be really happy. Looking forward to saying hello to some of you in August!

You will find most people on the rivers are friendly and helpful.

Regards

Alan 

On 30/06/2019 at 06:08, Maxwellian said:

Freedom may be able to help.

Indeed, we may be able to. 

The issue with single parent hirers is one of safety. This is always our principal concern and acceptance of a booking for a single parent holiday is not guaranteed by any stretch. We will ask relevant questions about the age of the child, ability to help or distract  etc. 

We have had many single parent hires in the past and will again. 

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

Hi all I just came upon this via a search as I am a single Dad having the same issue - so rang Brinks who said we are OK to book.  I have a lot of narrowboat experience including working at a boatyard (a long time ago) but none on the Broads - daughter is 15.  Looking forward to thanks for the tip.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, xbillups said:

Hi all I just came upon this via a search as I am a single Dad having the same issue - so rang Brinks who said we are OK to book.  I have a lot of narrowboat experience including working at a boatyard (a long time ago) but none on the Broads - daughter is 15.  Looking forward to thanks for the tip.

Have a great time.  Best wishes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, xbillups said:

Hi there. My children are adults now but because I like to hire more often than I can get a crew I've hired solo regularly. Barnes are great in my experience, as are Ferry Marina. I believe Bridgecraft,  Pacific Cruisers and Martham Boats are also options, although I've no experience of hiring solo myself from these.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, xbillups said:

At least you won’t have locks to contend with, and presumably 15 year old daughter will know her ropes! The main thing on the Broads is to take the tides into consideration. If necessary, turn around and moor against the tide, so you have more control of the boat. The ‘Aweigh’ app is a great help with tides. If you are thinking about going from north to south (or vice versa) read advice beforehand, either in the free Broadcaster paper or here:

https://www.mynorfolkbroadsboating.co.uk/

• Like 1

If going south be aware the tides flow and range is far more than you will experience on the northern rivers, nothing to be afraid of but something to understand and respect. 

The monsters on breydon are another matter,  be afraid,  very afraid!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As luck would have it, and more by accident than design (we had a more limited range once Hoseasons told us we were not welcome), I have booked a boat with bow thrusters - a new thing for me although I hear they are becoming more popular on narrowboats now too - never had such things back in my boatyard days.  Back then I was king of toilet pump outs and unblocking - the job no-one else wanted. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Bow thrusters are not essential by any means but very helpful in trickier situations. 

Like SwanR there are 2 of us so even more useful.

Assuming if your daughter can assist with mooring it's well worth trying to get both bow and stern ropes ready and step carefully ashore (with lifejacket). The bow thruster can give a useful nudge here. Good luck and please let us know how you get on. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well we are here, had a nice couple of days at Great Yarmouth (and some decent stops on the way).  We moored overnight at Ludham bridge on our first night, and Stracey Arms the second.  We are doing less cruising and more lazing around than I expected but none the worse for that.  The dog fell in for the first time today - partly my fault as I was trying to stop him leaping on to the drivers seat as he had muddy paws.  Having his life jacket was great as I used the handle to pull him up - in fact only his back end got wet. He was getting more confident up to that point, not sure what he’ll do now, but he is back on board sleeping, smellier than ever.

• Like 8