Single Parent Hiring Boats

Loddonlad

I wonder if it’s partly down to the indemnity insurance of the boat yard.
Since we seem do have now adopted US litigation laws could someone who had an accident sue the boatyard because they hired a boat to an unsuitable party?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think JK that there is a great degree of truth in that which you have stated. I am also of the opinion that the boat yards, in the fullness of time, may be called upon to demonstrate that they have taken due care and attention with regard to their customers and just as importantly to the public in general. At this moment in time it is my belief that they are somewhat exposed.

Andrew

• Like 1

We have the internet. There must be single parent forums etc where such ideas could be suggested. My mum used to go off on over 70's trips with a coach load of people she had yet to make friends with.

The Broads needs to work out a way to cater for all hirer's rather than just the easier to service ones. We all complain at pub closures and boat yards disappearing but without the maximum possible holiday income more will follow. 

Three canal boats mentioned above is a few grand not going into the local economy. That's half a year's wages for a young trainee in a boatyard.....

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BB37 said:

We had booked a boat from Richardson's for April, they rung up and said they required 2 adult with children for to satisfy the insurance. So, now booked a different boat with Bridgecraft.

You wont go wrong with Bridgecraft. They really look after you, nothing is too much trouble. Excellent yard and always prepared to show flexibility. For example they are happy to hire to us in December when many yards don't want to know. Solid choice IMHO :91_thumbsup:

• Like 1

I will third what Mr Nog said too regarding Bridgecraft. They are an excellent well run and friendly yard. We have used them a number of times before our share purchase and they couldn't do enough for You.

Highly recommended.

We've always spoken to Bridgecraft directly, they are always happy to take bookings from us. 

The way it works is that Hoseasons get their commission irrespective whether you go through them or book direct. 

I suspect Hoseasons go by the 'script' whereas if you speak to the owners direct you can invariably get a much more satisfactory response. 

Same with Swancraft, always dealt direct - another great family yard, sadly missed 

I am sure that Clive will be along soon to tell us he is changing his insurer - either that or explaining why a hirecraft poses more risk to a single parent than either Center Parcs or a seaside holiday??

Either that or produce the statistics proving it is more hazardous - which he will not be able to do!!!

3 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I have long ago lost count of the number of times I have seen a hire boat brought into a mooring with an adult doing the mooring lines and a ten year old at the helm. They can often handle the boat a lot better than their parents!

Possibly due to having never learnt to drive, they dont have pre-conceptions about how steering should work.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I have long ago lost count of the number of times I have seen a hire boat brought into a mooring with an adult doing the mooring lines and a ten year old at the helm. They can often handle the boat a lot better than their parents!

My Dad taught me how to moor and was allowed to do it under his watchful supervision, my Mum taking the ropes. I loved it, I may have 'bumped' the boat coming in a couple of times but never damaged or smashed one up, that happened when I grew up :facepalm:

Grace

• Haha 5

That's why it should be left to the men and children, just like driving a road vehicle, women lack the necessary skills to do the job properly.

That comment should go down well

:default_hiding: