Single Parent Hiring Boats

Loddonlad

Peter, the Martham crowd are good people, deserving of your custom, not only that, Jayne is a woody, a proper boat. She's also a doddle to handle. I'm sure that you'll appreciate her pedigree.

If you get a chance to poke around the boatsheds then do so, if only to savor the scent of freshly worked timber, fascinating place. 

https://www.marthamboats.com/hire/motor-cruisers/14-jayne

• Like 2

I don't think that Richardsons would do anything that would impact their business without a great deal of thought and, as they see it, justification. I am actually quite surprised that so many people want to go solo! What also surprises me is that Clive, normally an affable sort of fellow, hasn't come along and explained this new policy as clearly it effects a number of forum members, especially as the forum has for so long been staunchly pro Richardsons. 

Clive had a explained on Facebook- it is to align to their booking agents and to remove the need for their staff to make decisions about who is competent. It is Not an insurance issue.

I have written the above in my own words- for the full text see the NBN Facebook group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

Finny, I'd encourage you to give them a try - they are the most relaxed, accommodating yard I have ever hired from. It's much better to book by phone than online - much more flexibility that way.

Thank you and it's the flexibility I need .my boat when I had her was great for two ok for four but out of the question when it was for the six of us and many a time would sit there bobbing on her mooring whilst we was out and about on a hire boat that could accommodate then of course there is the time factor through working shifts which we both do .effectivly I had a bit of plastic floating on a marina which only became a boat when we could get our backsides on her - all things considered selling was a no brainer which is why I keep a keen eye on the hire market and what direction it moves 

finny

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Clive had a explained on Facebook- it is to align to their booking agents and to remove the need for their staff to make decisions about who is competent. It is Not an insurance issue.

Don't do Facebook now so cant read the reply.

However I find this still a bit odd.

Hoseasons have always been awkward about solo hire but some yards have been OK when called direct.

As for staff having to access competence.

Surely they have to do this at takeover time with any party.

I had always assumed in the past that my bookings, always made direct with Richardsons were accepted on the basis of my proven competence hiring from them and other yards.

Anyway.

If I ever manage to get to the Broads again then it will be another yard that gets the business.   Even if I am not solo hiring.

• Like 1

Susie tells me that there is a lively discussion going on on Facebook including 2 statements from Clive, and so this thread seems to have dried up.

I seems a bit silly that an important debate about the broads seems to happen half on here and the other half on Facebook. Can't we share the same information? Or am I just showing my ignorance of social media?

• Like 2

By the way, I gather Clive has said it is difficult to expect his staff to decide on a person's competence. In which case, the instructor seeks advice from his management, doesn't he?

When I am doing a trial run, I reckon I can tell within about 10 seconds of going on board, whether the party know about boats or not.  I am sure Wussername would agree with that!

• Like 5

I no longer get involved with Facebook as I found the intrusive adverts among other things made the site impossible to use.

This is the Norfolk Broads Network Forum and like you Vaughan I expect Broads related discussions to be on here where all can see them.

Not hidden away on Facebook.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Surely when you make a booking they can see your previous bookings and weather or not you're capable and I'm sure the majority of solo hirers will choose a boat they know they're capable of handling alone 

Why can't they make an informed decision based on that also take into account the age of the hirer as surely a 30/40 year old is less likely to suffer from any health issues

3 hours ago, finny said:

And that's what happens . Hoseasons don't own the yards they are only booking agents and unless  this Equity company that has just bought hoseasons plans to invest in its own yards I cannot see how they can dictate........the plot thickens 

finny

Hi Finny, 

Clive has said that their booking agent which is indeed Hoseasons; their policy is against solo or single parent (single adult) bookings, Richardsons have fallen in line with this policy or maybe just supporting their booking agent.

I find this rather bazar when the booking agent is in a state of flux that any of their clients are indeed changing their policies at this time, it would have made more sense to wait until later in the year or even next season.

Regards

Alan   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Finny, 

Clive has said that their booking agent which is indeed Hoseasons; their policy is against solo or single parent (single adult) bookings

Barnes brinkcraft also use hoseasons as their booking agents but they will accept solo crews

And they even have the hoseasons logo on their boats as opposed to Richardsons who use their own "R" logo

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Finny, 

Clive has said that their booking agent which is indeed Hoseasons; their policy is against solo or single parent (single adult) bookings, Richardsons have fallen in line with this policy or maybe just supporting their booking agent.

I find this rather bazar when the booking agent is in a state of flux that any of their clients are indeed changing their policies at this time, it would have made more sense to wait until later in the year or even next season.

Regards

Alan   

Or just simply honour all existing bookings then implement a new policy moving forwards .its interesting that re-booking with other operators under the same agent is taking place 

finny

• Like 1

It would not take much to set up a database - accessible by the boatyards - which would have details of past hires across all the companies, together with any damning evidence which might preclude the odd percentage of people Richardsons might not want to hire to. Then perhaps the  90+% of responsible, experienced hirers could still enjoy their holiday.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

It would not take much to set up a database - accessible by the boatyards - which would have details of past hires across all the companies, together with any damning evidence which might preclude the odd percentage of people Richardsons might not want to hire to. Then perhaps the  90+% of responsible, experienced hirers could still enjoy their holiday.

That idea sounds too much like common sense lol

I have hired single handed for the best part of 40 years.

Hoseasons have always refused the booking on the basis that they do not allow solo hire.  Therefore this is nothing new.

That is why I ignored Hoseasons, ( who after all are only an agency)  and always booked direct with the yards.

Well as far as I am concerned if Richardsons wish to alienate some of their loyal customers then it will be their loss as long as other yards do not follow.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

I would be very surprised if details of seriously dodgy hirers were not shared among the hire yards.  Even if not on an official database.

This is not just about bad customers though.   Richardsons are canceling the bookings of those who already have a good track record with their company.

• Like 3