Jump to content
  • Announcements

    Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

    You can Sign up or log in with your Facebook account and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

    Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

  • If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

    Forum Shop

Waterglade

Another New Member Saying Hi! :d

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone. Like others I’ve arrived here after following the adventures of Indy from Plymouth. Sadly I came late to his party as he was already on the Broads  when I found his blog. We are currently berthed in Plymouth and would have been interested in seeing the boat in the flesh.

Anyway, our first visit to the Broads was 43 years ago when my husband and I hired a small narrowboat for a week and fell in love with being on the water. Over the years we enjoyed many boating holidays on canals, rivers and on the Broads. The most memorable being crossing Breydon water towards Great Yarmouth with the tide in full flow and being swept around the bend at a hair-raising speed with our little mirror dinghy bouncing along behind. We had no idea what was happening. It didn’t put us off boating and over the years we’ve nearly always had a little water craft of our own from canoes and small sailing dinghies through rhibs which introduced us to the sea and 5 years ago we bought our first little motor cruiser which happened to be in Plymouth so that’s where we’ve stayed.

After a year we decided the sea was the place for us but we ‘needed’ a bigger boat. We found what we were looking for at NYA in Brundall, a Beneteau 980 which we had transported by road to Plymouth. We were not as brave as the Indy crew. The boat served us well for 3 years but again we outgrew her. Having both retired we are very lucky to have the time to spend on the boat and we wanted more space and more comfort. Unbelievably NYA had just what we were looking for again. An Atlantic 38, similar to the Brooms, same hull as the Haines 38, called Waterglade, which has now been in Plymouth for the past year.

We always thought that when our sea faring days are over we would return to the Broads but now I’m not so sure. Cruising on the south coast we have so many places to visit and I don’t know that there would be enough variety to keep our interest if we moved inland. Also, there are so many boats up there now, would my nerves stand it? I think we have a nostalgic view of peaceful trips up the river finding a quiet pub for lunch or secluded spot to stop overnight. Can you still do that? I’m looking forward to browsing the forum and learning more about the area.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi

a warm welcome to the forum, the broads can be peaceful especially the southern rivers ,the north is best avoided during the summer holidays1, out of season better,

ps we know of a crew who knows the way if you fancy a visit !:default_biggrin:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to you Waterglade. 

Im a newbie to the site, a great place to be !!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Waterglade said:

I think we have a nostalgic view of peaceful trips up the river finding a quiet pub for lunch or secluded spot to stop overnight. Can you still do that?

Warm welcome Waterglade.

Yes you most definitely can, at quieter times of the year and/or in the quieter parts of the broads. It must be less stressful than the sea.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Wyndham. We don't find the sea stressful though, we just avoid going out at bank holidays, and certain weekends when the raggies like to use mobos for target practice. :default_badday:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome Waterglade. The Broads is truly a restful and relaxing place for boating, but I’ve enjoyed plenty of boating off the Devon and Cornwall coast having originally come from Plymouth and spending many years back there before ending up near the Broads again. Boats never far away.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to see you here and while you may have missed the boat in Plymouth, you can still follow along with the adventures on my Blogs..There is a real difference between the Broads and the 'salty' marinas but what I did find was a really sense of a community in Plymouth and I have been so spoilt by the facilities at Sutton Harbour - really friendly staff, keeping the pontoon clean, salting them when frosty nights were forecast, spotless warm toilets and showers and really good washer dryers too. Short walk from the centre of town and the historic Barbican - but all this at a considerably higher cost than on the good old Broads.

What I think is nice about the Broads is you haev lots of cruising and changing landscapes and then two entry points to the sea meaning if you want to explore the east coast it is easily done. For my part I guess the familiar area and having some friends from here who can help at times makes perfect sense to keep Indy in Norfolk not to mention easier, cheaper and less travel time to get to from London

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi and a warm welcome to you

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warm welcome to the forum :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

Good to see you here and while you may have missed the boat in Plymouth, you can still follow along with the adventures on my Blogs..There is a real difference between the Broads and the 'salty' marinas but what I did find was a really sense of a community in Plymouth and I have been so spoilt by the facilities at Sutton Harbour - really friendly staff, keeping the pontoon clean, salting them when frosty nights were forecast, spotless warm toilets and showers and really good washer dryers too. Short walk from the centre of town and the historic Barbican - but all this at a considerably higher cost than on the good old Broads.

What I think is nice about the Broads is you haev lots of cruising and changing landscapes and then two entry points to the sea meaning if you want to explore the east coast it is easily done. For my part I guess the familiar area and having some friends from here who can help at times makes perfect sense to keep Indy in Norfolk not to mention easier, cheaper and less travel time to get to from London

 

I hope you're not planning white knuckle rides on the Broads. If you manage to cross the channel that will be interesting. We love Plymouth and have many friends down here but as you say it is expensive. When our money runs out I'll either be stacking shelves at Tesco or we'll move up north. We'll always have a boat of some description.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the welcomes everyone. I cannot post any more reactions today :default_crying1animated: but I am reading all of them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another welcome to you Waterglade from me. I was surprised to see that you hired a small narrowboat all those years ago, I thought narrowboats on the Broads was a fairly new thing. There are still some wonderfully tranquil spots thank goodness and, provided you keep clear of school holidays, the northern rivers are not too bad. Being retired, we spend the majority of the spring and autumn on the boat and only avoid school summer holidays. I can honestly say that I never get bored, we just go with the flow (sorry!) and chill. 

Whatever you end up doing (even stacking shelves in Tesco’s) I hope you enjoy your boating days. :default_stinky:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Another welcome to you Waterglade from me. I was surprised to see that you hired a small narrowboat all those years ago, I thought narrowboats on the Broads was a fairly new thing. 

I'll see if I can find a photo. I seem to remember having the box brownie with us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • NBN Mobile App

    Our new mobile app is available now on Android and iOS!

    Get it on Google Play

×

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.