The Broads Is Not A National Park!

JennyMorgan

53 minutes ago, JohnK said:

If people believe that’s happening I can see why they would too.
But as someone who’s undecided the constant “its not a National Park” makes me want to turn off every forum and facebook group where it’s posted over and over again on everything about the BA. We never get to talk about what the BA or anyone else is doing, we just talk about how they’re calling the Broads a National Park again.
If other people feel the same as me I guess the problem is when nobody who hasn’t already decided you’re right is listening anymore.
For me, the scary part is if I do leave the forums etc the only place I’m left with to get Broads news from is the BA and I don’t like single sources of information.

John, you asked the question! Anyway, that aside, no reason why there shouldn't be a a link to all that is good about the BA!

https://mailchi.mp/d38efb72185f/broads-briefing-february-345063?e=[UNIQID&utm_content=buffer818ed&utm_medium=social&utm_source=bufferapp.com&utm_campaign=buffer

John, you asked the question! Anyway, that aside, no reason why there shouldn't be a a link to all that is good about the BA!
https://mailchi.mp/d38efb72185f/broads-briefing-february-345063?e=[uNIQID&utm_content=buffer818ed&utm_medium=social&utm_source=bufferapp.com&utm_campaign=buffer

That’s a fair point but I’m not complaining about threads talking about whether it’s an NP or not, I’m complaining about how every press release by the BA shared descends into “it’s not a National Park”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Just now, JohnK said:

That’s a fair point but I’m not complaining about threads talking about whether it’s an NP or not, I’m complaining about how every press release by the BA shared descends into “it’s not a National Park”

Just in case there are any new members who are unaware! Perhaps some of us are equally jarred off with every BA press release promoting the BNP.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JohnK said:

As someone who is fairly neutral can I answer that by saying its because JP keeps promoting it as such in every press release, if he allowed the Authority and its employees to just  go about its and their business without promoting this fallacy and intruding into areas that don't concern it then we could get back to congratulating the authority on all the good work it does do that we rarely hear about.

Fred

• Like 4

10 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

I have tried to remain detached while following this thread as there are good and bad aspects of every organisation and unfortunately its the bad rather than the good that attracts most attention, there are a lot of very good things and people within the BA but there is also a minority with their own objectives this being one of them.

As the BA is not a marketing authority and has no responsibilities as such there can be no justification for using the NP status in its various signage and communications, apart from the obvious conclusion that it can only be a means to an end in my opinion it is also misrepresentation from a public office and I am sure we are all aware that this wouldn't be the first case of this occurring from public bodies with an agenda.

Fred

What is a “marketing authority”? You use it like it has some specific meaning, but I’ve searched the Internet to find some reference. 

The BA does have a duty to promote all the blah blahs to the general public. 

Now to those not implacably turned against the BA promoting sounds very much like marketing. And according to an academic description I found from a U.K. university, Promotion is in fact a subset of Marketing. That is all promotion is marketing but not all marketing is promotion 

But perhaps I’ve missed something and a marketing authority is a real thing?

2 minutes ago, batrabill said:

What is a “marketing authority”? You use it like it has some specific meaning, but I’ve searched the Internet to find some reference. 

Now to those not implacably turned against the BA promoting sounds very much like marketing. And according to an academic description I found from a U.K. university, Promotion is in fact a subset of Marketing. That is all promotion is marketing but not all marketing is promotion 

Bill. the BA is not the local tourist authority. 

With respect looking at your public profile this is a field you are well conversant with and I am beginning to wonder if you have a commercial interest, the only legal justification for using the name is for marketing purposes and as the BA continues to promote itself as such they are then setting themselves up as a marketing body totally outside of their remit

Fred

As far as I can tell the Secretary of State and the high court says they can use the term for marketing / promotion.
You could argue every press release is marketing / promotion.
If the BA believes the above why wouldn’t they call the Broads a National Park in every press release?
In the words of Homer Simpson “I tried, I failed, the lesson is never try”
I’ve tried to put forward the point of view of a neutral but I realise nobody’s interested so I’ll leave you to it.

• Sad 1

John, your input to-date has been appreciated. What you don't appear to be doing is looking back at the wider picture though, despite it being explained in some depth. Fred has made some valid points too, not least in questioning the BA's reasons and need to be involved in marketing, a field with which they have little success with in the past. Personally I have tried to explain my take on the Authority's involvement in 'marketing', as have others, up to you how you react. Just ask yourself why is the BA CEO promoting the BA as an NP when he has no need to? 

15 minutes ago, JohnK said:

I’ve tried to put forward the point of view of a neutral but I realise nobody’s interested so I’ll leave you to it.

That remark is one too far, for me, after all we have done to try and answer your questions.

We are all interested but I fear you are not interested in hearing the answers. In which case I will "leave you to it".

John, your input to-date has been appreciated. What you don't appear to be doing is looking back at the wider picture. Fred has made some valid points too, not least in questioning the BA's reasons and need to be involved in marketing, a field with which they have little success with in the past. Personally I have tried to explain my take on the Authority's involvement in 'marketing', as have others, up to you how you react. Just ask yourself why is the BA CEO promoting the BA as an NP when he has no need to? 

I’d argue I’m wasting my breath because I think every response I’ve had is why I’m wrong. It’s absolutely fair enough for that to be people’s opinion, I just see no point in me keep saying the same thing and getting the same response.

I can honestly see no reason why the BA wouldn’t or shouldn’t promote itself using the term Broads National Park. But you know I think that. I know you won’t agree so we’re just back to the start.

24 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

With respect looking at your public profile this is a field you are well conversant with and I am beginning to wonder if you have a commercial interest, the only legal justification for using the name is for marketing purposes and as the BA continues to promote itself as such they are then setting themselves up as a marketing body totally outside of their remit

Fred

What? What about my profile? What do you mean commercial interest? Like a job or a business? I wasn’t aware there were employment criteria for posting. Frankly this just comes across as a sort of veiled threat. Explain. 

• Like 1

Broads National Park - for marketing purposes only, that's what John Packman told us.

May I draw attention to these documents that will be discussed at the next Planning Committee meeting http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/broads-authority/committees/planning-committee/planning-committee-2-march-2018

Deciding planning applications is one of the BA's statutory duties and has nothing to do with marketing. Yet, in three of those documents, the Broads are referred to as the Broads National Park.

What? What about my profile? What do you mean commercial interest? Like a job or a business? I wasn’t aware there were employment criteria for posting. Frankly this just comes across as a sort of veiled threat. Explain. 

Not a threat or anything else or a criteria for posting just that on your website business promotion including the BBC is very much your field of operation which suggests you may and I say may have a vested interest given your stance, it also means you fully understand the principals of marketing.

Fred