BA Positives

JennyMorgan

I didn't say you had I asked how you justify maybe I should of said how do you  justify it when they are a prime part of any form of promotion, yes it was cost cutting but nothing to do with tolls they are funded from a different budget.
Fred

So you think they should have kept the offices open to better promote the broads?

Of course you’re right about the tolls. Sorry.
All the NP funding / Secretary of State grants or whatever they’re called have been cut haven’t they? Hence the need for cost cutting?

15 minutes ago, batrabill said:

It’s a mystery to many of us JohnK. 

Previously the distinction was made that it said “by” not “to”. But that seems to have been abandoned. 

I think this is the weakest of arguments. Even weaker than the Sandford argument. 

But what do we know?

batrabill, as you very well know, but choose to ignore, that distinction was made to correct the claim you made that the BA should be promoting the Broads to the public. I pointed out that the wording of the relevant section said "by the public", not "to the public".

We have also discussed the fact that Sandford becoame redundant in 1995.

Yes, what do you know?

24 minutes ago, JohnK said:

I’m assuming these are the exact words. Am I correct?
If so, how do you promote opportunities for the enjoyment of the broads without promoting the broads?

I'm sorry. JohnK, but if you don't even know what the legislation says about all this, I and several others are just wasting our time. I don't think I'll waste any more.

• Like 2

I'm sorry. JohnK, but if you don't even know what the legislation says about all this, I and several others are just wasting our time. I don't think I'll waste any more.

I thought you’d posted the relevant part of the legislation we were discussing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, Grainside said:

I have just read this thread and thought that I had mistakenly clicked on a forum that I recently resigned from!

I wonder why.

Grainside, just ignore the bits that don't interest you. Personally I think that this particular thread has become argument for argument's sakes which is unusual over here. Beyond that I'm sure that you will appreciate and enjoy this forumI As a fellow resignee from 'another forum' I welcome you to The Enlightened Side!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I have really enjoyed most of this thread. Extremely informative from both sides and I have learnt a lot. 

However, and there has to be one, I can see no reason why intelligent people need to resort to negative comments about each other’s point of view. There is absolutely no need.

we the members can understand that there are different viewpoints and even different interpretations of FACTs and filter accordingly. The spats just detracts from the real information on this thread.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, JohnK said:

So you think they should have kept the offices open to better promote the broads?

All the NP funding / Secretary of State grants or whatever they’re called have been cut haven’t they? Hence the need for cost cutting?

No the offices were not there to advertise the Broads but to  assist and help people who were already there visiting the broads that is why they were necessary and called information centres, again a slight but important difference .

Given you accept the need for cost cutting how do you justify wasting resources replacing already adequate signage just to add the NP  name when the only people who see them are already on the broads not potential visitors.

Fred

• Like 2

No the offices were not there to advertise the Broads but to  assist and help people who were already there visiting the broads that is why they were necessary and called information centres, again a slight but important difference .
Given you accept the need for cost cutting how do you justify wasting resources replacing already adequate signage just to add the NP  name when the only people who see them are already on the broads not potential visitors.
Fred

I have no idea why the BA closed the offices and I have far too little information to speculate.

On the signage I would guess (but it’s only a guess) that the BA felt replacing the signs was justified to help promote the Broads. Were they right? I have no idea.

When they recently renumbered the A12 heading north from Lowestoft into the A47 they sent a man out covered in high vis in a transit with stickers and a step ladder. No renewal of signs, just a simple sticker with the new info stuck over the old. Cheap and effective.

Maybe someone should give BA the number of the sticker suppliers?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JohnK said:

What cost cutting? All that happened was that the tolls went up in order to make up the government funding shortfall! 

As for local signage, Fred has made an entirely valid comment. I can only suggest that adding and changing perfectly good signs is all part of what many consider to to be nothing other than a vanity project. Amusingly, or is it coincidently, Beccles railway station railway station has been adorned with an NP sign, I'm told that its the nearest station to where the Doctor lives. Perhaps he goes to work by train and needs reminding!

BNP.jpg

19 minutes ago, JohnK said:

I have no idea why the BA closed the offices and I have far too little information to speculate.

Which of those two statements do you agree with

On the signage I would guess (but it’s only a guess) that the BA felt replacing the signs was justified to help promote the Broads. Were they right? I have no idea.

Why do you need to promote a product to someone who has already bought it and visiting or living in the area

Businesses need to promote their product to attract custom, the tourist board is there to promote various parts of the country, the BA are there to Administer a specific area so as to allow the other two to do their bit.

Fred

• Like 1

Posting as a normal member and not as a member of the staff here -

I feel sort of responsible for the thread degenerating from what was positive about the BA to a BA bashing thread, as it was Johns reaction to my oblique reference to the fact that they had actually quoted in one of the articles, the broads Authority and the 14 NP authorities, that started the BA supporters club here onto the topic of the Broads national park, and all that followed, can we please keep that to the current ongoing thread about that topic, and return to the positives about the BA here that was originally posted by JM.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

So have we run out of BA positives then?

To be fair to The BA, it is very early in the season to comment. Most of the good work The BA does tends to be spotted and come to light over the course of the season. Coming towards the end of what seems like a very long Winter, especially now "The Beast from the East" has arrived, it is hard to find the positives.

In a spirit of balance what I see HERE is a lot of moaning here about fairly trivial things.

A lot of unbalanced (biased) criticism about things that in the real world are VERY complicated - like moorings, bins, and dredging.

A great deal of unnecessary and unpleasant personal abuse towards JP.

And great deal of scaremongering - Sandford, closing navigation, NP Park.

What I see OUTSIDE my door is, the Broads,  a system which appears to be in quite good shape. Where most people come and have a brilliant time unencumbered by the attitudes displayed here. And where the BA do a pretty good job balancing some very diverse and divergent pressure groups.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

There are many positives about the employees that work for the Broads Authority; the rangers, at the yacht stations, the team in the toll office and staff that let us know of issues on the Broads. The Broads Tourist offices have been mentioned and the ones still open do a sterling service. My personal opinion that all the closed offices/shops such as at Beccles, Ranworth, etc should have been maintained as a means of providing information  and being a focal point for visitors to the Broads.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1