Signing Off And Leaving

It`s a real shame to read such posts, and god knows i`ve made enough posts that i`ve regretted. Sometimes, i`ve written a post, gone back and read it to myself, then changed it, changed it again, and finally posting it, then thinking i should have changed it again.  I got kicked off this forum many years ago for what i would call standing up for myself, yet was having an ongoing tit for tat with a then moderator (my name used to be DAYTONA-BILL), but i was asked to return because said former mod had gone. I`ve since made posts that in hindsight i should have re-written, but what`s done is done. 

As for taking offence at peoples posts, no, i don`t. I might disagree, mildly or strongly, but i`l say my piece and let it go. But there has been the odd problem that occasionally, some will post a thread inviting replies or reactions, then get offended and come back with sarcasm because people disagreed with them. If people disagree with MY posts, and others disagree, fine, that`s their view, and i respect that. Strowager was a classic example, we often disagree`d, but we never got offended by eachothers comments, we just respected eachothers veiws. Sometimes, it`s a strength of character to be the lone voice of opposition. 

I`ve spat my dummy out on the odd occaision, but i`ve had a break from the forum, chilled out and come back with my tail between my legs and carried on.  Steve O put spot on when he describes how the printed word can sometimes be totally misinterpreted because of the lack of visual and possibly physical nuances. 

As for my posts, i`ve gone back to that reading and re-reading, but i`ve no doubt i`l make a slip now and again, but if i do, it`s NEVER meant in offense, and i`ve no doubt i`l get a message slapping my wrists from a certain young moderator.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Got to admit, I walked away from the forum some 18 months ago, basically exasperated by the negative comments by some ‘experts’ on flags etiquette who if they are the experts they professed to be would have known better,  yes they were wrong in their opinion but that is all it was, their opinion and they are entitled to it as we all are and maybe I shouldn't have tsken the bait and thrown the teddy out of the pram but we all get overloaded with the bulldung at times no matter how tolerant we are.

But it’s those that will not drop the bone once the get it on their grasp and listen to those that actually do know better and go into a defensive stance and try to score their point from a disadvantaged position and go on to irritate and exasperated other users by diverting threads into their misguided personal campaigns.

A forum is as strong as its members and self aggrandisement and point scoring has no part in one that professes to have a healthy debating platform.

There are many people on this forum who are professional seamen and others that have adequate qualifications or experience handling boats within the area and there are also rank beginners who are seeking GOOD advice and quite often get frustrated by the point scoring and back biting by the so called though not proven experts and this spoils the whole ethos of what the forum is about. 

Whatever our personal experience is we are all on the broads out of choice to enjoy our chosen hobby/pastime or holiday, and as someone who loves this area and have done for a long time I try to encourage others to do the same but it’s difficult at times if they read this and other fora and see the oneupmanship and point scoring that goes on between certain cliques, factions or persons, there is no need for anyone to prove anything to anyone on the forum, we are all boaters (and probably insane but what the heck) whateve our history.

Let’s just enjoy it, and the forum, let’s keep the back biting, point scoring and politics away, it has no place here.

Thank you Charlie, like you I get fed up of the sh one t that is posted sometimes and have to say something, I try to keep it within the rules thpugh?

19 minutes ago, Wussername said:

I write loads of stuff but never post it. I find it difficult sometimes to deal with the adverse comments.

Never be afraid to post your thoughts Wussame, if it’s the truth snd doesn’t directly slander anyone what’s the worse that can happen, Ok you get sanctioned by the mods or you might get a lot of silly, inaccurate and nonsensical replies.

you’ve been a member for quite some time, like me you should be able to laugh st the nonsensical and ignore the personal, we are what we are, whateverothers think of us.

Do your thing my friend, if you have something to say for goodness sake say it.

As they (whoever they are) the truth doesn’t hurt.

Never be afraid to post your thoughts Wussame, if it’s the truth snd doesn’t directly slander anyone what’s the worse that can happen, Ok you get sanctioned by the mods or you might get a lot of silly, inaccurate and nonsensical replies.
you’ve been a member for quite some time, like me you should be able to laugh st the nonsensical and ignore the personal, we are what we are, whateverothers think of us.
Do your thing my friend, if you have something to say for goodness sake say it.
As they (whoever they are) the truth doesn’t hurt.

Very well put.
Agree 100%

18 minutes ago, MorningSwan said:

basically exasperated by the negative comments by some ‘experts’ on flags etiquette who if they are the experts they professed to be would have known better,  yes they were wrong in their opinion but that is all it was, their opinion and they are entitled to it as we all are and maybe I shouldn't have tsken the bait and thrown the teddy out of the pram but we all get overloaded with the bulldung at times no matter how tolerant we are.

Everything that I have posted here about flag etiquette can be be found, as historical fact, in the Admiralty Manual of Seamanship, volumes 1 and 2.

I posted this information as I hoped it would be of interest to those who wish to know, and appreciate something of our maritime history and heritage. I am sure Griff, with his own experience, will appreciate that.

It was done in the spirit of sharing genuine knowledge, as a member of the forum, but I must say I am most dis-appointed to find that it can be seen as self aggrandisement and point scoring.

In that, Morning Swan, you are totally wrong and I very much hope that your attitude to genuine knowledge does not deter others from sharing theirs, on the forum. I am astounded by the needlessly aggressive tone of your comments and I shall certainly think twice before I offer my  truthful experience here in future.

• Like 1

Vaughan, I do not believe it was yourself that made the derogatory comments some 18 months or so ago but to emphasise as an ex commodore of a RAFSA club I am entitled to fly such a flag on my boat, I don’t, I fly the red ensign. And at the end of the day what the heck, it’s the broads? Yes when I go to a foreign country I fly their countries flag also as a curtesy but let’s face it in summer there’s A lot of boats flying the skull& cross bones an no one objects, let’s not get too picky or nit pick, it’s all personal preference, we are not in international waters and Breydon isn’t the North Sea

It is true that it was not me who started that particular argument, as I remember, but the contributions which followed, from myself and others, were useful, factual and informative to the forum.

To now describe that, months later, in the way that you have done above, is un-warranted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JennyMorgan said:

Vaughan, please don't let any criticisms, even ones that might have been levelled elsewhere, deter you from contributing. If you know it's right then so be it. 

I second that, with your vast experience and knowledge of the Broads, the Authorities, etc etc, i look forward to reading your posts, as you`ve been in business on the Broads and dealt with Authority first hand. As a side note, i`ve often said it`s people like you that should head an elected authority because of your wealth of experience and knowledge. It`s you, and people like you that should be in charge of our beloved broads, not political pen pushers with a personal agenda.

• Like 1

In my experience of many forums I think the problems often start with people presenting opinion as fact.
If I say something that a lot of people consider nonsense (not that that would happen ) if it’s started with “in my opinion” it tends to annoy people less. It seems to avoid the “yes it is”, “no it isn’t” nonsense.
In my opinion it’s what forums do very well, allowing people to debate opinions. Even changing some sometimes.

• Like 1

Vaughan 

in no way am,or was critising you, I am sure you know the book from cover to cover as probably JM does, probably know it better than me but I am only experienced in fact and action, not book reading but therefore you will know there are circumstances the particular flag that was in a photograph I posted is allowed to be flown.  

And yes it was not you that started the debate/disagreement so let’s not start one now.

Empathy is what is needed. Put on someone else’s Moccasins and walk that mile......

Nothing wrong with a good debate but let’s keep it at just that. I think it is a shame that Ricardo is no longer posting and hope that he will change his mind and start again. I also think that he like many of us can word things better or differently so as not to cause offence. Although I do not think there are many that actually mean to cause offence.

L&K to all.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MorningSwan said:

And yes it was not you that started the debate/disagreement so let’s not start one now.

You have not started it but you have resurrected it.

Yes, you may wear the ensign of the RAFSA if you fulfill a lot of other conditions but you may not wear the ensign of the Royal Air Force and this is what was then pointed out (by those with knowledge) later in the thread. 

The fact remains that your post above does not genuinely describe the atmosphere, nor intention of this forum and I consider it to be outside our T.O.S.

I can’t remember how many times I’ve written a post and then deleted it, probably as many times as I’ve actually posted. I try to read over what I’ve composed and, if in doubt, just in case someone, somewhere, might take offence, delete.

Okay, some may think that’s overly cautious, but I think it’s really difficult to gauge how people might react when you’re not communicating face to face. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I can’t remember how many times I’ve written a post and then deleted it, probably as many times as I’ve actually posted. I try to read over what I’ve composed and, if in doubt, just in case someone, somewhere, might take offence, delete.
Okay, some may think that’s overly cautious, but I think it’s really difficult to gauge how people might react when you’re not communicating face to face. 

I wish I did that.
I often post a reply to what I think I’ve read rather than what was actually written. When I realise I always apologise but I’m sure I miss some and cause offence.

Vsughan, 

ss I have just said to you in a PM, I DO know what I am on about. Just give it up mate, it’s a pointless lost cause and I refer back to my original post this evening about dogs with bones that won’t let go. 

It’s pointless an even if you think you are right what good is it going to serve you’ me or anyone else  apart from getting our  blood pressure up and that’s not worth the effort of typing.

TOS’ s if think I have broken them you know what to do and if the mods wish they can sanction me.

11 minutes ago, MorningSwan said:

It’s pointless an even if you think you are right what good is it going to serve you’ me or anyone else  apart from getting our  blood pressure up and that’s not worth the effort of typing.

I just don't see that what you have just said, is in the spirit of this, or any other forum.

• Like 2