New boat at Ferry Marina - Sapphire Emblem

Dan

Hi Everyone

Whilst on my first trip out of the season I noticed Mr Funnell's latest creation tied up at Horning.

Interesting to see a few alterations from their smaller sisters that hit the water last year. More style appears to have gone into the side windows, and the forward windows have square edges with black trim inbetween - more like the artists impression from last years brochure that was not translated through into build. I thought these were great improvements, and whilst still not my favourite design it all seemed to tie together better and look less obscure to my mind.... The folding side windscreens to the upper helm are interesting - could be good in less perfect weather, so lets hope hirers remember to drop them down at the bridges they do go under!

Exciting to see further new craft being built, and in different lengths etc to last year cheersbar

All the best

Dan

post-93-136713690752_thumb.jpg

post-93-136713690768_thumb.jpg

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

I think the curved side windows on the top coaming actually look ugly and spoil the lines, otherwise for a recent design, it`s quite striking. That IS a surprise coming from me, as i`m not a fan of a lot of modern designs. I must be getting trendy in my old age :lol::lol::lol::lol:. I also think the mismatch between the front windows being squared and the side window being eliptical does`nt go. I think the front windows should have been raked, which would have improved the look a thousand %, but that`s only my opinion. Regards to all ..............Neil.

There are many things on the Broads that are not a thing of beauty. Who here has ever seen "Blot"? :lol:

I can't quite make up my mind about this one. I guess the nicest thing can be said is it is different and complete agree ref the comments on investment. I wouldn't mind seeing a plan of the interior.

2 weeks ago i was moored next to this boat at the WRC and it is quite impressive but not sure that i would hire it. i was very jeallous of the satelite tv as they had a perfect picture and we had nothing...I hope Clive will soon add satelite tv to the broads sunrise and sunset range of boats.

Mark

Somebody seems to have removed the barrels from that remote gun turret on the coach roof though, are they a pay for extra?

Now that would be a serious draw, water cannons on top, could even send the boat out complete with pirate outfits for the ultimate broads expirience. two gunstwo guns

I have to say i think the boat is very striking & will get looks like any other new boat would i hire it all depends on berth price & what shes like inside.

But But But

the Sedan That Mr Funnel built now that i would love to take out :love:love

Jonny ice sliceice slice

In for a penny in for a pound.

LF's latest creations are some of the ugliest Broads boats ever! A few boats are real lookers. They look right no matter which way you view them. All their lines are in the right places and going in the right direction. IMHO the superstructure looks as if it was built from a kit of parts that were never designed to be assembled together. The cats' eye windows make the boat look like a novelty fairground ride. No doubt the boats are sensibly designed on the inside and will let well to those who must have the newest boat in the hire fleet.

Is there no-one out there who can make boats that a) look like boats and B) look beautiful too? YUKK"

Tin hat on.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

I wont be throwing anything at you E P, i`m a firm believer in free speech, no matter how extreme your views are. I gave my (extreme) opinion on "another" site, and got expelled for it :oops::oops: . I do aggree with you regarding some of Funnells designs, but as you said, some people will always hire the newest biggest boat just because they want to show off, no matter how pig ugly they are (the boats i mean :lol: ). Regards ................Neil.

Jonny - you are right . The Sedan is very nice but I suspect the fly bridges book better. And sadly thats the key. Expilot is right too - they can hardly be called attractive especially the shorter ones but its a business, not a fashion show.

Inside they are nicely fitted out as you would expect and I particularly like the forward facing galley - it looks nice and the punters like it too. But it does little for the wash if too many stand in the front!!

And i wish he had not used the black surrounds - for a little more chrome or stainless or even aluminium might have looked less "cheap".

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Marshman, you have to remember what you said earlier, it`s a buisness, which means minimum investment for maximum profits, and is probably why it looks cheap, because it IS cheap (to build, not to hire). Regards ..............Neil.

Jonny - you are right . The Sedan is very nice but I suspect the fly bridges book better. And sadly thats the key. Expilot is right too - they can hardly be called attractive especially the shorter ones but its a business, not a fashion show.

yes you are right i do like weird & wonderful boats but i dont find those dual steers weird fascinating. but that sedan gets the blood beating :grin:

Jonny ice sliceice slice

and is probably why it looks cheap, because it IS cheap (to build, not to hire). Regards ..............Neil.

In my opinion, the main problem is with the design NOT the finish. The whole thing (I can't bring myself to call it a boat!) is so totally without any aesthetic appeal whatsoever, that I confidently expect it to win numerous awards.

Glad to know that the new boats are creating some interest, I will let my friends up at Horning know. Hopefully my mate Harry the Heron will be putting in an appearance on the forum soon so watch this space.

There are actually two more designs currently in development - a new aft cabin variant with a steering position above, and a 42ft sliding canopy model. Both are being developed at Waveney River Centre, the first aft cabin model is being fitted out as we speak and the mould tool for the sliding canopy version should be finished this week. I will post some artist's impressions when I have them available.

The best news is that the new boats are letting exceptionally well, which gives us the confidence to keep building. There are already 8 'Funnell Class' cruisers in the Horning Ferry Marina fleet.

TTFN

Eddie x

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Eddie, i hooked one of your cousins down here in sunny Dorset yesterday. While i think it`s really good news to see broads buisness prospering and investing in new boats, i wish they`d make BETTER LOOKING boats, and not all bigger than ever. Also, the vast majority of new designs are high top designs, which are NOT (in my opinion) suited to the broads. The time is right for ALL new designs to be suitable for their environment, like Conniesuer (spelling?) did with their broads fleet, and the vastly different fleet in Europe. Richardsons have got the right idea with their new RC35 and 45 models. And as for letting well, i think thats based on most bookings being on short breaks as people can ill afford to hire these new boats for full weeks, well not at £2,000+ they can`t. That`s why Richardsons are so popular, because the vast majority of their fleet are affordable, with only a relative handful being at the top end of the price range. Regards ............. Neil.

Hi Eddie, i hooked one of your cousins down here in sunny Dorset yesterday. While i think it`s really good news to see broads buisness prospering and investing in new boats, i wish they`d make BETTER LOOKING boats, and not all bigger than ever. Also, the vast majority of new designs are high top designs, which are NOT (in my opinion) suited to the broads. The time is right for ALL new designs to be suitable for their environment, like Conniesuer (spelling?) did with their broads fleet, and the vastly different fleet in Europe. Richardsons have got the right idea with their new RC35 and 45 models. And as for letting well, i think thats based on most bookings being on short breaks as people can ill afford to hire these new boats for full weeks, well not at £2,000+ they can`t. That`s why Richardsons are so popular, because the vast majority of their fleet are affordable, with only a relative handful being at the top end of the price range. Regards ............. Neil.

I would have to agree with Neil also

i like meny others might like to hire a newly designed boat but they ask way to much for a full week then you add on the extras it all mounts up maybe if yard started to give free tanks of fuel maybe that would be encouraging maybe not on all there boats but some high class models i dont know is Alpha craft offer this on all there boats or not.

Eddie cant wait to see the new designs i like the sound of the aft cab version could be interesting..

Jonny ice sliceice slice