New boat at Ferry Marina - Sapphire Emblem

Dan

I am going to steer clear of the debate on whether boats are BETTER LOOKING or not because I am only a fish and you know how things can look through a fish eye lens.

I can read a spreadsheet though and for 2010 I find that, on our new boats, 18% of bookings are for short breaks and 82% are for weeks or longer. Our bigger boats (42ft) are entirely booked for weeks or more.

Hope that helps the debate.

Eddie x

Hmm interesting! Great pics Dan. It's funny how the look of a boat does make a difference to it's appeal. You'd think it would be just down to the practicalities of size, layout and driving position but it's more than that. Bit like needing to fancy someone to want to have a relationship with them I suppose!

I agree with those that have said this isn't the best looking boat ever. The other thing that strikes me about it, is given the height of the majority of the boat, I'm wondering if it could have been designed to pass under bridges like the AF38/44 dual steer does. I bet it's a lovely boat though and I'd love to get a look on one.

Hi Simon

I agree with those that have said this isn't the best looking boat ever. The other thing that strikes me about it, is given the height of the majority of the boat, I'm wondering if it could have been designed to pass under bridges like the AF38/44 dual steer does. I bet it's a lovely boat though and I'd love to get a look on one.

I think if you took off the fly bridge & that stick up bit further back made it into just a forward drive i think you might have better look.

or maybe cut a chunk out of the side like here on crusading light from Herbert Woods it keeps the roof level for the low bridges & you could mount in on top of the engine using up the space thats left. (photo curtsy from Craig website)

11b_289.jpg&ctext=%A9%20G.C.Slawson&maxsize=600&shape=1.345

Jonny ice sliceice slice

• 4 years later...

Hi folks,

I have to be honest, the Sapphire Emblem is an odd looking beast, so much that we have decided to book her for May of next year for 2 weeks.

We hired the Gliding Light 3 from Herbert Woods in May of this year and had a great time, but to quote a certain shark film: 'We're going to need a bigger boat' or words to that effect.

I do hope that we get one with the cats eyes windows as there is an odd looking one (probably pre-production) without the sides on the flybridge, satellite dome that has different windows on Ferry marina's website.post-29282-0-67582400-1405336054_thumb.j

Hi Chaps,

Okay I'll take the bait... We had Gliding Light 3 for a week in May and to be honest it's a very capable boat, easy to steer, moor and looks good anywhere that you park it, especially at Norwich yacht club.

The layout, yes, my wife did say that it was very 'Caravan'ish'  and that they had shoehorned a lot of the stuff in. As for 6 Berths, it's down of paper as having 8!

I'm 6' 2" and of a well built stature (Cuddly) and I did have a problem with the beds. The double in the stern was large enough for my wife on her own (Careful) and the double cabin in the middle (Port side Middle) was unusable due to it being the engine room as there was a strong smell of diesel, even with the vents and window open.

We both eventually ended up in the bow section. It was a bit high off the ground but after a long day of fending off the rag and stick mob, rowers and the odd plonker on the wrong side of the broads they were a very welcome sight.

This is really what sparked my original comment above regarding needing a bigger boat. Thing is, I have now found another one from Faircraft Loynes that meets the needs and ticks one or three more boxes hence the 'Perhaps not'.

I really meant to do an review of the Gliding Light but never got around to it, So I will put one together soon and pop it into the Herbert Woods section on here.

Sincerely, hook, line and sinker

Colin

• Like 1

V8,

I had Fair Monarch (almost the same as Sovereign) in April of this year. Very comfortable for 4 of us. 2 girls in the bow singles and the wife and I in the stern. Plenty of storage and relatively easy to handle. High air draft, but you can plan for that. Monarch had separate hot water heating, which included a towel rail in the rear bathroom for drying towels - nice touch. I would have it again, so enjoy Sovereign.

• Like 1

Yes indeed, we plan to invade the broads again in May for 2 weeks and have decided that the Sovereign is the right choice as there's only 2 of us and a couple of small dogs.

I have looked at the air draft too and was wondering if it would go under Ludham Bridge as it's a nice place to moor and we quite enjoyed the walks and the breakfasts in the cafe.

The choice has nothing to do with the whirlpool bath although it did catch the attention of my wife, but the fixed double in the stern (ooooeeerrrrrrr) clinched it.

I would have liked to have hired the President, but I will need to work a little harder to pay for it so that's a hire for 2016.

V8,

I hope the dogs are small enough to pick up easily, 'cause this is not the easiest boat to get on and off. We never used the big bath, but it gives plenty of room to turn around under the shower. The boat does go under Ludham bridge, as I did it twice - just get the tide times right to be sure. Fuel wise, I went as far as Norwich in the south and most places in the north. I got a fiver back from my deposit.

Hi Eric,

Thank you for the bridge information.

Yes, Barbara at Faircraft did mention access and about the lack of a rear door. She was kind enough to suggest the Commodore and Royale as alternatives but my one track mind was made up.... Fair Sovereign.

Although one of the reasons for liking the Fair President is that it has a gull-wing door on the portside for easy access to the main cabin, but alas that's a hire for another year.

We got £83 back after a week on the Gliding Light and we had been everywhere except Beccles as we ran out of time.

cheers

Colin