Survey Found Osmosis

The good thing about threads like this is the knowledge you can pick up .i didn't know about how many types of osmosis can effect fibreglass I handnt even considered the problem from a water inside the hull perspective I also knew the benefits in  drying a hull out from reading steve truss in the past but because I would not use the boat in the winter what I though would be a case of good timing could have been far more damaging 

great reading 

finny

Correct. Did you already know it or did you google it?
The (really) old ones are the best Possibly 1970. One of my favourites, but it always seems to fall flat in company. Maybe only Doddy could get a laugh from it, which makes me think I'm totally bonkers. Glad to find another superior s.o.h.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

On 15 March 2018 at 13:43, Jovril said:

Many thanks all for your comments etc.

it certainly makes us feel better than no one seems to believe that whilst a problem not one that means the deal cannot be done.

Must say that we are not great believers of the world of on line “social media” and we are not on any of the Facebook, Twitter or forums in general.

It even took soomtime of looking before joining here, but we have found it to be both friendly and extremely knowledgeable in answering what must seem to many of you stupid questions.

So a very big thank you to you all and we will let you know in due course the outcome of our journey to become a “Boater on the Norfolk Broads”

John:default_beerchug:

Just wondering if you made any progress with the negotiations on purchase price.

it's possible the owner may of known about the osmosis, but wonder if they did was it priced low because of it or higher expecting to be chipped on price.

Hi Simon

looks like we are being able to negotiate a resionable reduction in price.

we will know next week if our reduced offer has been accepted but the signs are looking good.

If all goes to plan we may we’ll be challenging Robin for to quickest purchase.

Just over two weeks for first view to purchase including having survey and getting report.

Will let you know soon

John:default_biggrin:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jovril said:

Hi Simon

looks like we are being able to negotiate a resionable reduction in price.

we will know next week if our reduced offer has been accepted but the signs are looking good.

If all goes to plan we may we’ll be challenging Robin for to quickest purchase.

Just over two weeks for first view to purchase including having survey and getting report.

Will let you know soon

John:default_biggrin:

Good luck, was the same for us, 3 weeks from first viewing to maiden voyage, inc survey and a couple of small issues rectified.

Not many people do it Robins way lol

11 years as a yacht broker, having boats surveyed and reading survey reports every day , and osmosis certainly wouldn’t stop me buying an otherwise well cared for boat!  Needs to be reflected in the price though. Fingers crossed for you on the re negotiation. 

2 hours ago, 40something said:

Not many people do it Robins way lol

I wonder why that is ? N yes having had my fingers burned a long time ago I do know the answer .

If you don't want to employ a surveyor then you need to have the same amount of knowledge , you would be surprised what folk do to boats that's dangerous and more so attacks there value , then again there's hidden under water defects that affect value such as osmosis , how can you tell without lifting it out ??? Even then I could be heavily disguised by the owner in antifouling .

On less you really know what your doing or  that particular type of boat then get it surveyed , taking a chance an It is that at the end of the day may pay off or most likely won't , remember when you come to sell on less those defects have been addressed then there's a good chance the next buyer will spot them , n that's when you take the hit on the asking price .

51 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

I wonder why that is ? N yes having had my fingers burned a long time ago I do know the answer .

If you don't want to employ a surveyor then you need to have the same amount of knowledge , you would be surprised what folk do to boats that's dangerous and more so attacks there value , then again there's hidden under water defects that affect value such as osmosis , how can you tell without lifting it out ??? Even then I could be heavily disguised by the owner in antifouling .

On less you really know what your doing or  that particular type of boat then get it surveyed , taking a chance an It is that at the end of the day may pay off or most likely won't , remember when you come to sell on less those defects have been addressed then there's a good chance the next buyer will spot them , n that's when you take the hit on the asking price .

I had a survey on this boat, and made the most of it by being there at the time and being able to chat to the surveyor and really get to know what I was about to buy. It was £325 for the survey. The lift was £190 but I would have done that anyway, there is no way I am buying any boat without seeing the underside and stern gear.