Flag Quality

JohnK

I know some of you here are big fans of flappy material so can you tell me if flags like this:

https://www.hampshireflag.co.uk/flags.asp?search=Lincolnshire&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkd3VBRDzARIsAAdGzMBfgvVEOM_uuBM84lHnVOJkFzD3aKfdG5GpteYrxVxIPMikzRYG0twaAvDWEALw_wcB

At nearly £100 for a 5x3 are value for money when compared to ones like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINCOLNSHIRE-COUNTY-FLAG-ENGLAND-quality/dp/B00X7U3U66/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1521972359&sr=8-2&keywords=lincolnshire+flag&dpID=41GIoz--o0L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

At just over a tenner?

I’ve got one of the cheaper ones and after a few weeks it’s a bit faded and tattered at the edges.

I don’t mind paying for quality but I do mind being taken advantage of.

All opinions welcome.

36 minutes ago, JohnK said:

I’ve got one of the cheaper ones and after a few weeks it’s a bit faded and tattered at the edges.

Buy a new pristine one and you will look like a real newbie, the old tattered one means you are a true weathered and experienced (?) sailor. :50px-Semaphore_Uniform.svg:

• Like 2

We are always interested, and somewhat amused by the variety of flags flown by vessels on the Broads. Along with the ubiquitous, and perhaps obligatory Jolly Rodger adorning the (mostly) hire boats, we notice there are plenty of boats flying county flags, football flags, regimental flags, and the flags of various home nations. An observer will notice we are flying the Pride flag in the photo, this was because we were having a Pride party on BG when the picture was taken

Do the regulations for flags on vessels apply to the Broads? We would not want to fall foul of the authorities for flying the wrong flag, but I am sure the said authorities have better things to do than police flags on Broads cruisers. 

8 hours ago, vanessan said:

Buy a new pristine one and you will look like a real newbie, the old tattered one means you are a true weathered and experienced (?) sailor. :50px-Semaphore_Uniform.svg:

Is that the sailor or the flag that needs to look old n tattered :15_yum:

2 hours ago, socrates said:

We are always interested, and somewhat amused by the variety of flags flown by vessels on the Broads. Along with the ubiquitous, and perhaps obligatory Jolly Rodger adorning the (mostly) hire boats, we notice there are plenty of boats flying county flags, football flags, regimental flags, and the flags of various home nations. An observer will notice we are flying the Pride flag in the photo, this was because we were having a Pride party on BG when the picture was taken

Do the regulations for flags on vessels apply to the Broads? We would not want to fall foul of the authorities for flying the wrong flag, but I am sure the said authorities have better things to do than police flags on Broads cruisers. 

There are regulations in regards to flags but it is not up to the BA. As things are I believe that any naval officer, or harbour master, even retired, can confiscate flags that are being flown or worn by any master of a vessel not entitled to do so. In fact I can remember Oulton Broad's harbour master, also a retired skipper from the RN Patrol Service, confiscating a white ensign off a hireboat. He did also point out to those with a Jolly Roger that pirates are still hung or forced to walk the plank. 

Not always a regulatory thing, very often a matter of both custom & etiquette.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can you have a tangent? There are no curves or Circles on a Union Flag or Red ensign...

My new flag has a line near a curve but couldn’t really be considered a tangent so hopefully we’ve avoided it.
Although it will be flown near a bend on the river so perhaps it hasn’t been avoided.
Could flag etiquette be considered political and hence discussion not allowed under the T.O.S.? Religious? Anything??!! How about if I self identify as a blue ensign?
  • Like 2

Like discussions of the BA and Mr Sandford, there are those that think Flag etiquette is important and those who don't. there are threads that disappear off into the distance on the subject. I will merely say I try to get it right..

As to those who incorrectly display military ensigns,,,,,,:default_2gunsfiring_v1:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JohnK said:

My new flag has a line near a curve but couldn’t really be considered a tangent so hopefully we’ve avoided it.
Although it will be flown near a bend on the river so perhaps it hasn’t been avoided.
Could flag etiquette be considered political and hence discussion not allowed under the T.O.S.? Religious? Anything??!! emoji6.png How about if I self identify as a blue ensign?

Not a blue ensign surely! Just how flash can you get? 

• Like 1