Jump to content
  • Announcements

    Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

    Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

    Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

  • If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

    Forum Shop

Jayfire

A Spring Tale

Recommended Posts

Yes, it was me and Graham at Rockland Staithe! We had lunch in the New Inn and then went off for a long walk through the mud and rain.

We've got away with short cruising times yesterday and again today, but have been hooked up to shore power every adternoon/evening so far. There was a Ferry Marina boat next to us at Rockland that kept their heating on all day (even when they were in the pub) and we could hear it blowing out of the outlet (on our side) all night too!  They must be going through a lot of ‘lekky cards!

Helen

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Busy day today but here's another guess the pub :default_smiley-angelic002:

And today I'm in Holland

20180328_190449.thumb.jpg.205836c81853244cf106b914d016443d.jpg

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know where it is Jay but wherever it looks like the furnishings and carpet needs an update. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Yes, it was me and Graham at Rockland Staithe! We had lunch in the New Inn and then went off for a long walk through the mud and rain.

We've got away with short cruising times yesterday and again today, but have been hooked up to shore power every adternoon/evening so far. There was a Ferry Marina boat next to us at Rockland that kept their heating on all day (even when they were in the pub) and we could hear it blowing out of the outlet (on our side) all night too!  They must be going through a lot of ‘lekky cards!

Helen

And diesel too. I`ve heard those diesel heaters can use up to a couple of pints of diesel an hour, especially when it`s cold.  If they kept it on 24 hours, that will amount to 6 gallons of diesel for 24 hours.  Helen, is your boat called YnysMon, if so, when we`re on Lightning in June, we`ll keep a look out for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we'll draw a quick veil over the drink :default_smiley-taunt014: 

But I'm ashamed to say you've got me stumped with the pub JF, have to have a think about that one!! :default_unsure: :default_blush:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't know where Jay has been today do we............ he says a busy day but that doesn't mean he has been a long distance and I just wondered whether it was the Ram.  The 'boys' walked up there last September and their comments made me wonder

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, w-album said:

I just wondered whether it was the Ram

Mmmmmm, it did cross my mind but I don't think it is, looks a bit posh for the Ram (although it must be a couple of years since I've been in)

But true, Jay may not have strayed far from Bramerton. Think, think, buzz whirrrr...........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

And diesel too. I`ve heard those diesel heaters can use up to a couple of pints of diesel an hour, especially when it`s cold.  If they kept it on 24 hours, that will amount to 6 gallons of diesel for 24 hours.  Helen, is your boat called YnysMon, if so, when we`re on Lightning in June, we`ll keep a look out for you.

We saw Lightning today SPEEDTRIPLE. It wasn't you aboard today was it?

11 hours ago, vanessan said:

Lovely sunrise at Bramerton,  is that heralding a good day today?

Weatherwise? Errr no.

9 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Yes, it was me and Graham at Rockland Staithe! We had lunch in the New Inn and then went off for a long walk through the mud and rain

I would have said hi if I saw you but...well i didn't and couldn't stop mid run. :default_biggrin:

Hope you enjoyed your day

49 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

I think we'll draw a quick veil over the drink :default_smiley-taunt014: 

But yesterday you made promises...

49 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

But I'm ashamed to say you've got me stumped with the pub JF, have to have a think about that one!! :default_unsure: :default_blush:

Yeah. I have found a challenge. I did in all honesty deliberately try and make it a bit more difficult... I'm sure you will get it.

25 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I forgot to say,  Some really good atmospheric photo`s there Jay, please keep them coming.

Thank you. I shall try my best.

23 minutes ago, w-album said:

We don't know where Jay has been today do we............ he says a busy day but that doesn't mean he has been a long distance and I just wondered whether it was the Ram.  The 'boys' walked up there last September and their comments made me wonder

I'm loving the challenge this has posed. I shall give no clues as I am enjoying the debate...

6 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Mmmmmm, it did cross my mind but I don't think it is, looks a bit posh for the Ram (although it must be a couple of years since I've been in)

But true, Jay may not have strayed far from Bramerton. Think, think, buzz whirrrr...........

You see what I mean :default_biggrin:

I have total faith someone will come up with the correct pub without resorting to random guesses :default_smiley-angelic002:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jay, 

No, not us on Lightning this week, but we were due aboard last week, but because of limited holiday from work, AND, we like to go elsewhere in the year too, we restrict it to two weeks out of the 4. We will at some time have 3 weeks, but probably on when we draw suitable weeks, but even then, it will only be on the very odd occaision.  This year, we have the week commencing 16th June, and the week commencing the 17th of November, but will be coming up on the Sunday 18th. So if ANYBODY sees us on either of those weeks, please come and say hello.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it The Bell, St Olaves?? I only know of course because I was just in there last October :default_norty:

I'm surprised at you Mr Nog, honestly :facepalm:

Grace

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Is it The Bell, St Olaves?? I only know of course because I was just in there last October :default_norty:

I'm surprised at you Mr Nog, honestly :facepalm:

Grace

Brains and beauty. 

What a woman :default_biggrin:

Well done babe

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm suitably abashed :default_blush:

It must be in the posh side, we were in there in February too. We normally go in the side to the right as you go in. 

DSC_3901.JPG

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

I'm suitably abashed :default_blush:

It must be in the posh side, we were in there in February too. We normally go in the side to the right as you go in. 

Sorry Mr Nog that is the side we were in too. 

Me? In the posh side? :default_rofl:

The only thing posh I have anything to do with is Grace :default_smiley-angelic002:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wednesday 28th March

Waking up to a beautiful sunrise at Bramerton

20180328_064345.thumb.jpg.ab49ca38f1a4347bd575d2a869d686a6.jpg

I headed out for a quick walk with the dog before showering and preparing for the off.

It was around 9:15 when I set off to Norwich in order to collect one more crew member from the train station, my existing little helper once more sound asleep as we departed.

20180328_093156.thumb.jpg.8add9e696dc51cfb665a3396d08d6dde.jpg

The cruise to Norwich was pleasant despite lots of rain the whole journey which continued for  most of the day.

20180328_094253.thumb.jpg.507ba3cc90662fc94a2a08a0c9458d6c.jpg

Norwich canoe club were out in abundance giving me lots of obstacles to avoid in the restricted visibility.

20180328_095544.thumb.jpg.62a6c689ee3782547760df215a052c6c.jpg

Whilst I know these next photos aren't the most scenic, I had an idea if anyone reads this and has never made the trip to Norwich, just to show most of the bridges along the way incase they have been put off by them for some reason.

Thorpe

20180328_100252.thumb.jpg.433c3e99d67849b86b0abe3cc4658606.jpg

20180328_100328.thumb.jpg.0f65cc2b3079cefd59367d1fd85506dd.jpg

20180328_100331.thumb.jpg.f726d45accae1f2c477c45eef240ddf0.jpg

Thorpe exit

20180328_101028.thumb.jpg.c1a7d97154ac365ee9db28b9d507dd6b.jpg

20180328_101835.thumb.jpg.371a762019e4cda53c8acd494babb415.jpg

20180328_101916.thumb.jpg.17bf8a9f748d3558b2f34c4847402e72.jpg

20180328_102441.thumb.jpg.4d3a89765a0e0f90387cd1a30005c8f8.jpg

Arriving at Norwich at around 10:40 I had a chat with the good old friendly ranger who told me if I could be gone within the hour he wouldn't charge me. Bonus.

As promised everything was sorted well within an hour so after a quick coffee it was time to head back down the rainy Wensum and Yare, the grey skies and misty waters not giving much visibility or scenery but it was enjoyable regardless.

I had made my winding way back to Brundall for around 1:30 So made use of my home mooring and had a pit stop once more in The Yare pub before it closed at 2:30, pubs closing in the daytime still seems strange to me when used to the pretty much 24 hour bars back home, but suitably refreshed anyway it was time to set off once more.

As always I had no particular plans in mind so continued down the Yare in the rain eventually passing Reedham which had plenty of room but I carried on regardless through the swing bridge and up past the Berney Arms.

Now I am not sure if I have read about the Burgh Castle moorings or not, but if I have I completely forgot about it. Last time I came in February half of the moorings were closed due to the unsafe nature of the moorings, but now it is all permanently closed, signs up informing so and the electric post covered up. Maybe it has just slipped my mind. 

I therefore had to continue on along the Waveney in the lovely late afternoon sunshine, much appreciated after the grey murky rain all day previously (only in England)

20180328_175307.thumb.jpg.baa3b1ef5ae4012186f1213f872df8e9.jpg

20180328_175309.thumb.jpg.ce197433333d83a353759f35ff6db018.jpg

20180328_180409.thumb.jpg.749cfe4005142178193774e8c601f7a1.jpg

20180328_180424.thumb.jpg.b5a4532ddde29a9126cb12619122577c.jpg

until I reached a deserted St Olaves where it was time, at around 7pm to moor up for the night, walk the dog and head into The Bell for a swift pint.

Imagine sitting beside this, having a couple of drinks, chatting and laughing as I tell one of my funny jokes

20180328_190429.thumb.jpg.9081a1addd9dff9eb776a86639c52634.jpg

Contentious Picture Number 3:

20180328_190449.thumb.jpg.a661c09b426b699d92b5ac8012aeb7bc.jpg

4 pints later I was returning to the boat when as I crossed the road a young lad waiting at the lights of the bridge stalled his car and was unable to get it started again.

I went over to have a chat to him and he seemed a decent lad who had no idea what to do. After rolling him away from the lights, I gave him a crash course on how to bump start a car before pushing him along as he put my instructions into practice.

I must have changed the habit of a lifetime and gave clear instructions because low and behold before we re-reached the bridge his engine fired into life and as he shouted a thank you through his window he happily set off on his journey again.

Back on board I had a glass of wine and a bit of tea cooked by my youngest as always (she does like to, it's not some sort of punishment for her, she never burns it either :default_smiley-angelic002:) before checking my mooring lines and heading off to dreamy land.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

JF,  what boat are you on,  I am sure you said but I can't find it :default_cool:

Really enjoying your write up and photos.

I think you will find that JayFire is on Moonlight Shadow which is one of the syndicate boats moored on the Southern Broads.

Regards

Alan

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Is there a pub near the Dutch tea garden moorings ?

Sadly, no. Nothing near at all but if you like a good walk then Oulton will provide. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely pictures again Jayfire. I hadn’t heard or read anything about the whole of the Burgh Castle moorings now being closed but I’m not surprised. It was only a matter of time. I believe they are owned by the EA although BA moorings and obviously not considered important enough to maintain. Probably far too costly. A great shame as Burgh Castle itself is well worth a visit. Still, there’s always The Fisherman’s. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

JF,  what boat are you on,  I am sure you said but I can't find it :default_cool:

Really enjoying your write up and photos.

Moonlight Shadow, as Alan says a syndicate boat down south.

Thanks very much. I'm glad you are enjoying it.

32 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I think you will find that JayFire is on Moonlight Shadow which is one of the syndicate boats moored on the Southern Broads.

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan

14 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Lovely pictures again Jayfire. I hadn’t heard or read anything about the whole of the Burgh Castle moorings now being closed but I’m not surprised. It was only a matter of time. I believe they are owned by the EA although BA moorings and obviously not considered important enough to maintain. Probably far too costly. A great shame as Burgh Castle itself is well worth a visit. Still, there’s always The Fisherman’s. 

Thanks Vanessan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cracking photos again JF many thanks for sharing. Great tonic for those of us not out on the rivers :91_thumbsup:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great pics again Jay. I have happy memories of the Burgh Castle moorings. Is there some limited space by the Fisherman's? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Great pics again Jay. I have happy memories of the Burgh Castle moorings. Is there some limited space by the Fisherman's? 

Yes there are places at the Fisherman's and also on the 24 hour moorings near to there.

Regards

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • NBN Mobile App

    Want to use NBN when you're out and about?

    Get our mobile app for Android and iOS!

    Get it on Google Play

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.