What Did You Forget?

Betty1

22 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I think you will find that was a pub not a shop! :default_biggrin:

Unfortunately I've remembered to pick my bike after the pub more oft than not... once mistaking a flight of stairs for a ramp onto the tow path enroute home. I tend to get the bus now. :2_grimacing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We too have left a dog behind although not in a pub.  Called into Boulters for diesel / water etc and off we sailed, we got past the Ferry Inn before one of our crew realised his Springer 'Molly' dog was not onboard.  Back to Boulters we went to find her sitting patiently on the quay heading glaring at us.  On no end of occasions during many Lads Weeks we have left crew members behind from various craft.  A memorable one was the 'youngsters' boat, we all sailed in company from Brooms bound for Surlingham Ferry with a crew member from the youngsters boat left ashore.  No one on the boat realised he was missing until he turned up on another boat that he had thumbed a lift from!

In 'B.A's well deck there are two rubber mats, one is usually put ashore when stern moored.  At least three times every year we donate yet another rubber mat to some fortunate crew that moor in the spot we have vacated.  To date we have never worn out any of those mats as they never stay with us long enough to get past their best

Griff

• Like 4

On 4/5/2018 at 01:20, Timbo said:

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin.

This reminds me of an incident on my base in St Gilles, in south France, when a party of Danish hirers turned up one Saturday morning for their boat. They were 3 respectable middle-aged couples who had driven all the way in their own minibus. It was only 1100 so I suggested they went and did some shopping and had lunch in the restaurant in the port, and the boat would be ready at 1400.

Sure enough at about 1430 they staggered back into reception and stood there swaying and smiling. Their holiday had started and they were pretty well legless! My staff all ran a mile, so it was down to muggins here to do their trial run. Not a lot of point in telling them much so after a bit of pointing at things and smiling, I cast them off and watched as they weaved their way down the canal into the distance. They had only hired an old Bounty 44 so I reckoned they might no do it too much harm.

This was Saturday and I heard nothing more until the Tuesday morning, when I got a call from the Danish Embassy in Marseille. It seems that they had moored in Frontignan on Sunday morning at about 1100, to wait until the lifting bridge opened at 1300, so they repeated their performance and went to wait in the nearest bar! When the bridge opened they came running out and drove off, leaving the woman who did the stern line standing on the bank. They didn't notice and continued on across the Etang de Thau. The woman meantime, somehow made her way to the Embassy, clad in little more than a swimming costume and they said that unless I could help her they would have to re-patriate her to Denmark.

Luckily we had another boat in the yard so I said if they could put her on the train to Nimes I would pick her up. So there I was, running her back to the base in my car when I got a mobile call from the port at Frontignan to say one of our boats was there looking for one of their crew. This was Tuesday and they had only just noticed! So I drove over there and drew up alongside the moored boat. The woman got out of the car and stood beside it. Another woman got out of the boat and stood there on the quay. They both looked rather like valkyries and stood there glaring at each other, about 20ft apart. I quickly said "Right, thank you very much, I'll be off, hope you enjoy your holiday", dived into my car and drove off right quick.

When they came back on the Saturday, you would not have known. They were stone sober, all smiles, never mentioned anything, said thank you very much and drove off in their minibus.

So were they "unsuitable hirers"? Should I have refused to let them out? That's always the question, in this business!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I was a very junior sailor on a trip to France, and the Channel islands.

We tied up to a buoy in the harbour and went ashore to a pub, several hours later we came out and went down the steps ... no dinghy...

Eventually we found it, hanging above us from it's painter, outboard still on the back...

we had forgotten....

the Tide...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've just had a very good case in point. I got home from work and locked my bike in the shed. Instead of the pub I decided to walk to the supermarket tonight so I wouldn't have to mar my weekend with shopping. No sooner had I walked 10 paces something felt a miss i patted my pockets and felt my keys... they felt different.... THEY WERE NOT MY KEYS!!:default_badday: they were in fact a set of keys from work I'd put in my pocket earlier in the day I don't normally have work keys but thats another story. My keys were where I leave them on the dining room table inside. My heart sank.

Living alone I have a contingency for such an occurrence - I keep a spare front door key in my office a brisk 30min cycle from me. Sadly the bike was locked away in the shed with said shed key happily resting on the bunch in my locked house. So to round off my week I've just had a 3 hour round trip by bus through the tail end of rush hour numerous road works and heavy traffic around the 2 mosques on the route that do their thing on a Friday evening to get the spare....and I've still got to go shopping tomorrow! :default_crying1animated:. DOH. Moral of the story "go to the pub after work not the supermarket"  Just opened a can of beer though. Thanks for listening!

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 2