Richardsons holiday prize tales

Well we have just got back from a very pleasant 4 days on our raffle prize boat the CALYPSO 1 (see the pictures from clives recent upgrade on an earlier thread) compliments from the Richardsons group , for which we thank them for providing us with a great experience on a 40 year old boat which has been completely refurbished to a high standard.so we will post our exploits/pictures over the next few days, I am just compiling the pics we have taken not many but the weather was kind to us for most of the holiday.watch this space.. cheersbar:wave:party2::party2::party2::party2:

Will be very interested to hear about your break on the Calypso.

I hired this actual boat G359 in 1976 when she was still part of the FB Wilds Fleet at Horning. The holiday tale is on Carol (adnamsgirl)''s broadland memories website.

I had a look at her last October when she was still being worked on by Clives team and it was very interesting to see the changes that had been made. Particularly to the front door arrangement. I recall that the original sloping front door was a menace in any wind and would also constantly leak in heavy rain.

Have not seen the finished result apart from in photos but it looks good.

All the best

Arthur

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
Well we have just got back from a very pleasant 4 days on our raffle prize boat the CALYPSO 1 (see the pictures from clives recent upgrade on an earlier thread) compliments from the Richardsons group , for which we thank them for providing us with a great experience on a 40 year old boat which has been completely refurbished to a high standard.so we will post our exploits/pictures over the next few days, I am just compiling the pics we have taken not many but the weather was kind to us for most of the holiday.watch this space.. cheersbar:wave:party2::party2::party2::party2:

AH, that means we`ve got another good read coming up, and with some nice picci`s to look at. Just the thing i need for getting me in the mood for June 5th :party::party::party::party: . Bring it on young sir, bring it on :dance:dance . Regards ........... Neil.

Ok,here goes. This is the story of our short break holiday raffle prize that was donated by Clive Richardson,and we picked the recently refurbished by Richardsons team (Calypso 1) a 28 footer which was i think built by FB Wilds 40 years ago.post-188-136713695289_thumb.jpg

Tuesday 4th May.

It was a lovely sunny morning with only a little wind but chilly as we travelled the short distance to the Richardsons yard from Stalham about 4 mins by car and took over the boat at 1-15 pm and a nice man called Adrian showed us around,i noticed a mooring rope missing so that was added got our life jackets and Adrian as we told him we had our own boat let us take the boat out.

I had a bit of a passage plan (leftover from our sea boat time still do it) We decided first to make for Potter Heigham and to get our Lathams fix.and on the way saw 2 Kingfishers at Irstead Shoals (now where was my camera.Doh.) the rivers appeared very quite at the moment and passing How Hill was only 3 boats there,lots of baby ducks and baby Egyptian geese around,passing Ludham bridge where there were a few more boats around probably gone to the Dog Inn (very popular) under and thro the bridge without meeting anyone coming the otherway thats a first 9' showing on the depth guage and the tide was still going out.

We reached the main river and still not many boats out,i like going to Potter and passing the many riverside properties (would'nt mind one myself) and mooring was not easy as the wind (which had got stronger) was blowing us off,somehow moored up and have to say the height of the Calypso was about a foot more than our boat so a bit of a jump for Olive,we found it best to put the ropes to the centre of the boat so when she gets off she pulls the boat in and i get off to help.

We walked the short distance to Lathams and rummaged thro the many shelves to see if there was anything that caught my eye and yes there was 4 more cans of carlsberg lager to top up the store (sorry all you beer in the wood people but i don't like the stuff). we left Lathams to look at the boats for sale across the road as you do.Then back to the boat to cast off and motored to the New Inn Horning which we had booked for the night.

There were only 3 boats moored there stern to as i had booked the Dyke alongside i proceeded to enter the opening the tide was still going out so pushed the boat onto another hireboat got a dirty look from the woman that was on it i think i must have woken here up still only touched the fenders then we were IN,aaahhh.good..

post-188-136713695605_thumb.jpg

We had already booked in the pub for a meal later on so decided we were thirsty so went for a pint of Yeees Stella Artios.

Followed by a short walk into Horning to get a paper,it was still a lovely sunny day and getting warmer by the minute.back to the New Inn for another pint (thirsty work this walking) sitting there outside by the newly finished gardens it was warm and better still the wind had died down completely.

trouble with that it brought the nats out or whatever you call them.

a few pics of the garden.

post-188-136713695633_thumb.jpg

post-188-136713695661_thumb.jpg

post-188-136713695689_thumb.jpg

Also took a picture showing the Swan Inn Horning in the distance.

post-188-136713695716_thumb.jpg

It was getting to the time now to go for our meal,so we changed and wandered into the pub,where our table had our names on it as reserved,nice touch that.

I ordered steak & kidney pudding and chips,peas,My wife Olive had a steak and ale pie.mine was a bit dry but apart from that was Ok,washed down by a pint of Stella.had no more room for a sweet so went into the lounge where a small group of musicians were playing.I think they have this every tuesday night.

I recognised some of the players were from the excellent group Hard Rain. and one chap who iv'e heard before playing a banjo and ukelele.

So a good night was had and we retired having been a long day on the rivers.

More to follow....

Here are some pictures of the inside of the Recently refurbished Calypso 1.sorry about the mess just got on the boat.post-188-136713695993_thumb.jpg

Another.

post-188-136713696024_thumb.jpg

Another.

post-188-136713696048_thumb.jpg

Another.

post-188-136713696075_thumb.jpg

Another.

post-188-136713696102_thumb.jpg

And another.

post-188-136713696374_thumb.jpg

another.

post-188-136713696401_thumb.jpg

Hope we have'nt bored too many of you,but we liked it..

I have to agree cracking job

love the new sofa i would love to see what it would be like if was possible to make it convert in to a double.

the helm and cracking the front access & the rear steps must be a lot more light weight

I love the wide backside of the calypso but i have toyed with the idea of taking a level check out of the stern for better access would this be possible might be in the plans.

Jonny ice sliceice slice

I'd have said the fleck pattern stuff (upholstery) is fairly timeless in its design and still looks nice, maybe the curtains aren't the most modern or tasteful design, but do lighten the interior. Most of the newer curtains seem to be a more modern one colour design

Dan

The interior looks absolutely lovely, what a staggering improvement. I think the boat is probably nearer 35 years old rather than 40 but I take the point, it really does show what can be done. A very tempting 2 berth and that coming from someone who's 'off' forward drive craft at present (temporarily I'm sure).

How do,My boat is 43 years old and richardsons refitted the interior about 4 years ago and its still looks fresh now even after a year of us owning it! so i can vouch for richardsons doing a good job.

Andy