Fair Regent - Easter 2018

YnysMon

Thanks Neil. Mine was similar, but I cut a few corners and ingredients. E.g I normally use cheapo canned chopped tomatoes and add basil, oregano and a pinch of chilli flakes but I bought the type of tomatoes that already have herbs and garlic added. I still added chilli flakes though.

I don’t think I’ll be making it much in future. Graham has decided that tomatoes are aggravating his gastric problems. Hi hum. I love pasta but with tomatoey sauces out and me trying to avoid dairy products that rather cuts down the options.

• Like 2

Recipes too this thread gets better! :default_biggrin:

Helen, I've been avoiding dairy and tomatoes as an experiment with eating habbits and found pasta with olive oil and finely chopped fresh herbs to be quite a good alternative. It's nice with some big prawns and a squeeze of lemon thrown in. You can sort of substiute parmisan with a pinch smoked Himalayan salt to liven it up too.

• Thanks 1

You could try dumping the tinned tomato and substituting self chopped fresh Beef Tomato instead. Much less acidic as it's more flesh less liquid and if you add puree to the pan when frying the meat and fry that too it simulates the flavour of sun dried tomato rather well. I always try and use fresh basil too as it's a much gentler taste (less metallic) on the tongue. Add pasata to taste and a splosh of white wine and you're good to go. Less garlic for the reflux works too.

It works for me and I have  gastric reflux with the iron rod red hot down the throat which I'm sure your hubs is familiar with. I used to take zantak which is an H2 receptor antagonist (stops acid production feedback), that worked for a while but now its pantoprazole (generic name) which is a proton pump inhibitor which is much much more effective all day than H2 antagonists. (quite old school now). The first generation proton pump inhibitors (PPI) had some heart rythm issues when used long term, the latter 2nd generation ones (pantoprazole) much less so. Neither of these medications is cheap if given on prescription long term and so some doctors allegedly would not necessarily prescribe them.

I really would give the beef tom a try it does work in reducing the acidity of the dish.

The Chillie and tomato mix is called Arabiata here.(CH)

M

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 years later...

Having re-read this post to re-live pleasant memories of old holidays, I thought I’d just add a comment on the exchanges about medication to prevent gastric reflux. Graham relied on that until about an year ago.

However, he has been a very dedicated blood donor but in recent years had been turned down due to low iron levels. He started taking iron supplements, but they didn’t seem to make much difference.

Then I read online a theory that gastric reflux is exacerbated by low levels of stomach acid, which also affects absorption of nutrients, and that cider vinegar can help with this. We are very sceptical about things we read online, but Graham tried it out, as just taking a small amount of vinegar in water seemed fairly low risk. He found the cider vinegar did help. More significantly, the next time he went to give blood found that his iron levels were very good. He’s not taking the medication any longer either, except as an occasional back up.

What concerns us is, if absorption of iron is affected, what about all those other micronutrients, minerals and vitamins that the body and brain need? Is the medication that is supposed to help doing us harm? We don’t know, but I’m just sharing our experience in case it’s helpful to others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2