Visitor Mooring

Betty1

5 hours ago, vanessan said:

I would imagine that the BA stipulate that visitor/s moorings are to be provided but whether or not they are chargeable is down to the boatyard. If, in the past, these stipulations have been made then the moorings should be made available. As to parking on driveways as Buffalo Bill has mentioned, IMO that’s a totally different kettle of fish and bears no resemblance to a business asking for planning approval - private land or not. 

I think a polite request to moor is seldom declined, it’s often the bolshy self-righteous attitude that offends. Be prepared to pay though if a private boat. 

As to parking on driveways as Buffalo Bill has mentioned, IMO that’s a totally different kettle of fish and bears no resemblance to a business asking for planning approval - private land or not. 

I agree

3 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

I thought PMs were supposed to be just that personal or private messages, if people are liable to publish them it defeats the purpose.

Fred

Publishing them wasn’t mentioned, there are ways of following things up if they are offensive. 

3 hours ago, Paul said:

The last time we were on the Northern rivers, October 2015 we tried twice during the week to visit Wroxham just to visit the town and do some shopping without success, on Tuesday and Thursday. It being October Barnes yard was full with their own hire fleet, in places on the river front moored two or even three abreast. We asked at Faircraft who had a whole quay empty but were told it was needed for their day boat fleet and that they too, had no space. On the Thursday the same was the case at Barnes, though the "day boat" quay at Faircraft had several visiting hire boats moored we were told they were full. 

I got the distinct impression at Faircraft that they felt Contessa was not posh enough for their yard.

We decided that would be our last holiday on the Northern Rivers, the mooring situation is becoming a farce. We returned to the South in 2016 and stayed there, in future we will do the same.

I have heard many times that Faircraft will never allow private boats to moor in their yard. Unless you can get under the bridge, or use the hotel or cafe mooring, private boats might just as well not bother with Wroxham. There are however many lovely spots and moorings on the Northern rivers, best visited out of season. 

42 minutes ago, grendel said:

exactly - see my post from about 2 hours ago

Sorry Grendel, we really must think alike! I have been in and out of the forum this afternoon and got interrupted a few times on this thread. Note to self, reread if necessary before posting. :default_coat:

• Like 1

Just to clarify the PM in question was not from this forum but a previous one I was once a member of , and yes BA did make mistakes regarding the conditions of planning but by the same token BB initially agreed to them to gain planning approval , IMHO they had no intention of abiding by planning something born out in the recent redevelopment over the river .

6 hours ago, Paul said:

The last time we were on the Northern rivers, October 2015 we tried twice during the week to visit Wroxham just to visit the town and do some shopping without success, on Tuesday and Thursday. It being October Barnes yard was full with their own hire fleet, in places on the river front moored two or even three abreast. We asked at Faircraft who had a whole quay empty but were told it was needed for their day boat fleet and that they too, had no space. On the Thursday the same was the case at Barnes, though the "day boat" quay at Faircraft had several visiting hire boats moored we were told they were full. 

I got the distinct impression at Faircraft that they felt Contessa was not posh enough for their yard.

We decided that would be our last holiday on the Northern Rivers, the mooring situation is becoming a farce. We returned to the South in 2016 and stayed there, in future we will do the same.

To stay south is your choice Paul, but the situation in Wroxham isn't the situation on the whole north. I know it can be frustrating in the summer, but the often raised notion there is complete absence of mooring anywhere is a myth. Hire yards outside of Wroxham have much better availability and moorings of other types can still be found. Last August we managed to moor for the night without significant issue. 

Just to add that we have seen private boats allowed to stay overnight on the front at Ferry Marina. They do ask any visiting craft, private or hire, to be gone by 8am on a turnaround day. The water hoses are taken in overnight but while the staff are there you can use them for a small charge. And likewise they allow you to plug into their electric posts which they leave on 24/7. Seems very fair and it's a nice location for staying overnight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A few years ago my boat was damaged by a Faircraft boat, we were told to bring our boat to Faircrafts yard in Wroxham and they would sort it. As soon as we turn in to the marina we had some bloke telling us we were not allowed in there! Took some explaining to him to get him to allow us moor up. Since then I have never even tried to get in their yard, pitty really as mid season its empty most week days.

The other side to this is that as a returning hirer it is nice to have a yard that puts out reserved signs early in the day to guarantee you somewhere to moor if you decide to go back to the yard on the last evening or quite early on the morning that you are due back. We have turned up to other yards only to find no space because other hire craft have moored there. That can be annoying when it's your home yard and you need to get in. At least we know that we won't have that problem at NBD.

• Like 1

Many years ago when Connoisseur were still at the old yard ,up stream of Wroxham bridge,our engineer who did the trial run and took us under the bridge wasnt even allowed to get of the boat at Faircraft (he was shouted at),so he got of outside the Wroxham Hotel.The boat was stationery for about 10 seconds,before we were away on our holiday.:594c04f0e761f_default_AnimatedGifVehiclessaily:

Well personally if I was a privateer, I would be more than happy to pay a mooring fee, as they own the moorings and have to look after them. Perhaps if I was a regular on the broads, I would ring round boatyards to make them aware of me and the name of my boat and go from there, just to see who would accommodate me and their terms.

What good it would do I don't know.