Diy Sos (forum Style)

Just got back from a lovely evening and meal with Team RT at The Swan in Stalham. Will try and remember to take a pic of the bacon butties tomorrow Jay.  ;)

fantastic bunch of people and lovely to make such great new friends.  Looking forward to tomorrow! 

• Like 2

What a great thing you’re all doing- Really hope the first day went well and can’t wait to get the updates, been keeping an eye on the posts :default_biggrin:

I have to say though, if there is even a remote possibility that this forum adventure could end up with some kind of bridge episode at Yarmouth, then you need to let me know now as I’m going to have to get in additional supplies of gin...

• Like 1

Lay in this morning... Awake at 5:38, fire lit and kettle on. 

Yesterday was a fantastic day spent in the company of so many wonderful people. Uncle Mike and Auntie Pat provided vittals to feed the five thousand, which Polly and Lulu set about doing. The smell of frying bacon in a boatshed is damned fine! 

Everybody worked flat out all day, everybody except me that is. I spent the day bimbling around trying to remember everyone's name and where various tools and bits of the boat were. 

I can't thank everyone enough for all their support and hard work. We must have crammed six weeks of work into a day! 

Right the kettle is boiling... Time for a coffee! Slightly damp camping today! 

• Like 8

It's now gone 0800, so I take it the volunteer workforce has handed in their station cards at Marthams main gate, mustered on the workshop shed deck for job allocations and are now 'turned to' ?

Me - Feeling slightly jealous and somewhat guilty I'm not there helping out.  However have to make the best of it so this morning from 0930 - 1230-ish  I'll be at my local shooting ground busting a few clays as per the norm every second Sunday.  If the clay ground had not been open today I had considered setting off at early silly-o-clock on the mighty Tiger and coming down for the day.

Hopefully sometime down the road there will be another NBN working weekend and I can do my bit then.  With enough notice I could ask (and hopefully get) some of 'B.A's Lads Week crew down with me too

Timbo - Coz I'm feeling proper left out, would you be good enough to let me know about 'R.T's berthing rope requirements?  I take 'R.T'  could do with some new mooring lines, 14mm?  Blue, soft three ply? Two bow lines, two stern lines and a mudweight line? - Instruct Doug to obtain the lengths required, let me have the details, I will then source, cut to length, back and eye splice and present the same to Doug when I see him in t wetshed well in time for R.T's launch.  Hope this helps

Griff

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

It's now gone 0800, so I take it the volunteer workforce has handed in their station cards at Marthams main gate, mustered on the workshop shed deck for job allocations and are now 'turned to' ?

"Taking your time from the dockyard clock - January, February, MARCH!"

• Like 2

Well I’m shattered !!

When I can up with this idea I only envisioned maybe 5 or 6 people willing to give up their weekend to help out a friend, how wrong could I be.  I think yesterday we had 17 people at one point and another good turnout today, it was a challenge keeping so many people busy but I’m staggered how much we achieved it would have taken Tim and myself 3 months to be were we are at end of play today.

A special thanks go out to Ally who spent all weekend under the boat filling seams, with a little bit of help today she managed to complete the whole hull.

A big thank you also to The girls for manning the galley and also to Pat and Mike for keeping us topped up with supplies.

Many thanks for all those that came to help it has been much appreciated.  :55c8f94983015_default_happyparty:

Doug.

Edited by brundallNavy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Well done to all who attended, well done indeed.  A huge respect box ticked.

it was a challenge keeping so many people busy

I used to sometimes have the same scenario back in the days of 'B.A's restoration when she was up here in our 'Boat Shed'

Question - Are you going to organise another one sometime down the road?  If so can we ( I ) have more notice please?

Thanks,

Griff

• Like 1

Brilliant! So many wonderful people!

We’ve just arrived back from our hols, but (ever so slightly) wishing we hadn’t booked this week. Sounds hard work, but I’m sure there was a lot of camaraderie over the weekend. Once people have recovered we want to hear more!

Kudos to all involved!

Helen

A special thanks go out to Ally who spent all weekend under the boat filling seams, with a little bit of help today she managed to complete the whole hull. 

That really is a huge accomplishment and another big item ticked off 'R.T's - 'To Do' list.  Well done Ally :default_icon_bowdown:

Griff

Guess who left the engine drip tray behind :facepalm:

I also have acquired an 8mm magnusson spanner (may be yours Selsie?) 

What a cracking bunch of people to spend a weekend with though. Brilliant!

I think Timbo, Maxwellian and Phil, all under the boat and covered in putty, acting out a scene from the goon show complete with voices was probably the most memorable moment - and not necessarily for the right reasons :default_icon_e_biggrin:. Seems Ali needed educating... Maybe they could do a repeat next weekend at Salhouse? 

We are lucky, my long drive home is tomorrow. Many are currently on the road still as I type this!

Cheers everyone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Well done to all who attended, well done indeed.  A huge respect box ticked.

Hear hear- a quite stunning achievement that so many came together, and to achieve 3 months progress in a weekend is quite some going! Many, many congrats to all involved, and Griff has it right here- HUGE respect to you all! 

I cant wait to see the time lapse vid :default_biggrin:

4 hours ago, Lulu said:

Sorry! Some pics to keep you going. 830 start and bacon butties 

(pic especially for Jay )  other pics 

267B5447-5988-458A-A34A-CB5F517B81EB.jpeg

DFD7095A-9D69-4F18-B56A-8830740C06BC.jpeg

Thanks Lulu much appreciated, that is a heck of a lot of brown sauce to waste on the second photo though.

Well done everyone, keep working :default_biggrin:

11 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

Well done everyone, keep working :default_biggrin:

Think everyones done in!  Selsie is asleep in his recliner.  We had to leave at lunch time today which was a shame not to be there until the end, but it was truly fantastic to be part of it.  We are both up to do this again at some point If needed.

When the team have recovered, Id love to see a list of what was achieved

Day 1

I spent a lot of the day making window hoppers, and a ton of other bespoke horribly shaped bits out of some of the hardest wood I have seen, with gnarly grain going in all directions video of a few hours timelapse compressed into a short time.

Day two, once again only a few hours worth of timelapse (a shot every 30 seconds) Today, just to get away from more window hoppers I had to level off the front edge of the front windows (before having to make - yes you guessed it more window hoppers and window parts

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Lulu said:

When the team have recovered, Id love to see a list of what was achieved

150 bacon rolls

30kgs cheese turned into lunch

A tanker full of tea and coffee

A beautiful arrangement of home made cakes easily devoured 

A kettle in need of a holiday

And all of it served by the real stars of the weekend

:default_icon_clap:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Items achieved.

Hull sanded and one coat of paint.

Cabin sides sanded and screw holes plugged.

Diesel heater fitted.

Calorifier fitted.

New battery box fitted

New fridge fitted.

New cooker fitted.

Bottom of hull seams filled.

New section of cabin side fitted.

Various window hoppers made and fitted.

Water pump moved and plumbed in.

Second layer of deck fitted to over half of deck.

Lots of small items sanded for paint / varnish.

And probably items I wasn’t aware of.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2