Reedham, Somerleyton, Mutford Bridges None Operational

I am looking at this from a different perspective.

There is no point in sending a coastal cargo ship up to Norwich, since it would not get under the Southern Bypass bridge at Postwick, which has closed Norwich forever as a commercial port. A bridge approved by the very same planning authorities who, only a couple of years earlier, had approved the building of the Breydon Bascule Road Bridge and the Trowse railway bridge as well as complete modifications to the Carrow road bridge in order, one supposes, to keep that navigation open!  A classic example of a complete and utter waste of time and millions of pounds.

I don't think we should be surprised therefore, if the railway don't seem to be regarding the priority of navigation too seriously these days!

44 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

Would you really like to go back to the 1950's?

Charlie's point may be more apposite than he realises.

The Midland and Great Northern Railway, which served North Norfolk and the Broads between the wars, was closed down in 1959 because long bridges over marshy land in the wash, west of Kings Lynn, needed replacing and they couldn't afford to do so. This was a long time before "Beeching". The Breydon railway viaduct closed even earlier than that, because it became too expensive just to have a rail link between two stations, of different companies, in the same town.

Norwich to Gt Yarmouth is served by two lines, through Reedham or Acle, which do not have to cross rivers except in Thorpe, which is not on the main river anyway. Lowestoft has a rail connection through Beccles to the main line further south.

So I can see the day, perhaps quite soon, when the line from Reedham to Lowestoft will be closed as no longer practical and the swing bridges will be left open for us all to pass through, and take nostalgic photos.

14 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

So I can see the day, perhaps quite soon, when the line from Reedham to Lowestoft will be closed as no longer practical and the swing bridges will be left open for us all to pass through, and take nostalgic photos.

This paragraph has cheered me up no end!! 

Thanks Vaughan ?

40 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

as shortening the bridge rails by a few mm either end provide an expansion gap? 

if only it was that easy if only

25 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

Or fit an expansion joint?

image.png.094a2d349f05a45a0ca1cbfd8524947f.png

They have these, they are more trouble than they are worth. that picture is from block working track, as no bonds for electic signaling on either rail.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bound2Please said:

if only it was that easy if only

They have these, they are more trouble than they are worth. that picture is from block working track, as no bonds for electic signaling on either rail.

I guess we will just have to wait till they close the rail service over Reedham, with some of us having our navigation limited to the Yare between Reedham and Carrow during the summer months. 

Just now, Bound2Please said:

well yes but then the fantastic broads be one less boat

Just think how fantastic the broads would be if all boats left but you..... till they worked out what your annual toll would be.

2 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

Just think how fantastic the broads would be if all boats left but you..... till they worked out what your annual toll would be.

All the boats will never leave........... most know how peacful a tranquil the broads can be.   A few leave a few arrive keeps the broads a nice playground for all afloat and fishing them.

5 hours ago, dnks34 said:

Whatever happens the few people using the train must not be inconvenienced. 

Inconveniencing boaters and 100s if not 1000s of motorists  in Lowestoft is absolutely fine though. 

I'm not sure if you have ever caught the trains that travel through reedham and somerleyton I have in fact I did today ant its a lot more than a few people trust me .

Lots of people still buy tall boats and moor them above such structures and then complain  if there's a problem even if they aren't going to be using that stretch of river that day , if people want an over sized boat moor it in an appropriate place that's nothing but common sense and logic .

All the boats will never leave........... most know how peacful a tranquil the broads can be.   A few leave a few arrive keeps the broads a nice playground for all afloat and fishing them.

It was just a thought, but you do raise an interesting point on a "broads friendly boat" having sold my last boat (totally unsuitable for the broads in every respect) and returned to the UK I wanted another boat and did make a spec for the ideal boat suitable for the broads, which was: 

No longer than 35 foot, must normally  pass under PH bridge, must have an engine below 40HP, no stick and flappy bits well maybe with an engine.

That was not what I wanted so I bought what I bought knowing that 1) there will be limitations to use it on the broads but 2) given a reasonable amount of diesel and some good weather I can take it most anywhere else given the fuel range.

4 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

1) there will be limitations to use it on the broads but 2) given a reasonable amount of diesel and some good weather I can take it most anywhere else given the fuel range.

Thats your prerogative of course, but in a previous life, I was a CS & TE Linesman/Senior Technician so i still have some sympathy for the guys that would be trying their damnedest to keep the bridges working and trains running, during exceptional heat or cold weather. If the solution was simple dont you think it would have been implimented long before now?.

Some of the hair brained solutions i read about on here and facebook, do take me back to early 80's Herald of Free Enterprise times. I was one of many seconded to sealing for couple of weeks, to test and make safe the roro doors  interlocking to  /a make sure it was working :ie the ship could not depart with doors not interlocked to drive command. and /b to make sure it couldnt be over ridden.

Imagine if the interlocking could be over ridden on these two bridges the consequences are truely frightening beyond words. Let the bridges stay FAIL SAFE.

Charlie

25 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

I'm not sure if you have ever caught the trains that travel through reedham and somerleyton I have in fact I did today ant its a lot more than a few people trust me .

Lots of people still buy tall boats and moor them above such structures and then complain  if there's a problem even if they aren't going to be using that stretch of river that day , if people want an over sized boat moor it in an appropriate place that's nothing but common sense and logic .

I tend to agree and the scenario is akin to buying a house next to an airport and then complaining about the noise. Now I certainly knew that the bridges were between my mooring and the sea and I researched and understood the opening restrictions before settling on my mooring, what I did not expect and I don't think is officially publicised is that I can expect Reedham bridge to be closed on hot days or probably to be more correct, not rely on it being able to open..

5 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

Reedham bridge to be closed on hot days or probably to be more correct, not rely on it being able to open.. 

Well everyone knows we get hot days and cold days, and also that metal expends and contracts due to tempreture change its not rocket science is it

3 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

Thats your prerogative of course, but in a previous life, I was a CS & TE Linesman/Senior Technician so i still have some sympathy for the guys that would be trying their damnedest to keep the bridges working and trains running, during exceptional heat or cold weather. If the solution was simple dont you think it would have been implimented long before now?.

Some of the hair brained solutions i read about on here and facebook, do take me back to early 80's Herald of Free Enterprise times. I was one of many seconded to sealing for couple of weeks, to test and make safe the roro doors  interlocking to  /a make sure it was working :ie the ship could not depart with doors not interlocked to drive command. and /b to make sure it couldnt be over ridden.

Imagine if the interlocking could be over ridden on these two bridges the consequences are truely frightening beyond words. Let the bridges stay FAIL SAFE.

Charlie

I have never uttered one word of criticism about the guys operating the bridge or made any suggestions that safety should be compromised. I understand that the bridge did work throughout the summer with the substitution of "summer rails" is that not the case?

Well everyone knows we get hot days and cold days, and also that metal expends and contracts due to tempreture change its not rocket science is it

But most "engineers" know that also and design around it.

1 minute ago, Philosophical said:

I have never uttered one word of criticism about the guys operating the bridge or made any suggestions that safety should be compromised. I understand that the bridge did work throughout the summer with the substitution of "summer rails" is that not the case?

Summer rails was in the days of the 60ft rails not LWR in those days would have worked yes

Summer rails was in the days of the 60ft rails not LWR in those days would have worked yes

LWR has been around for longer than we think, can you be really sure that the summer rails have never been used with LWR? 

6 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

The bridges were designed around that over 100 years ago. But advancement in peoples wants dont stand still a 100 years in the past, no stream trains now replaced with DMU's

But a few Class 37's from the 60's

2 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

LWR has been around for longer than we think, can you be really sure that the summer rails have never been used with LWR? 

LWR stared in late 60's on main lines, i left in 1987 there were still 100's of miles of 60ft bull head rails in used on non maine lines. Olny flat bottomed rail can be made into LWR, as bull head doesnt weld successfully.  Trust me if I had £1 for every 60ft rail ive bonded, walked to look for a broken bond or track end id be a very rich man

2 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

I suppose summer rails are a bit like winter tyres in the UK.

Couldnt they fit summer rails and leave them in place? Or are they susceptible to other problems?!

They could fit summer rails if they changed to 60ft's for a fair few miles either side of bridge also