River Bure Dredging To Start 24th April

Dear All

Urgent Boating News As part of the 2018/19 planned dredging programme dredging is due to start on the River Bure 300 metres upstream of Horning Swan.  This work will start on Tuesday 24 April 2018, various sections will be dredged between Horning Swan corner and Cockshoot Dyke.  Please be aware of manoeuvring vessels at the dredge site and at the offload site at Horning Hall, this is 500 metres upstream of the mouth of the River Ant.  If you require more information in relation to this work phone Tim Lamb 07771676074.

Kind Regards

Laura Milner

Administrative Officer Operations

Broads Authority

Tel: 01603 756035

Broads Authority, Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road. Norwich NR1 1RY
01603 610734
www.broads-authority.gov.uk

• Thanks 1

Please permit me to assist.

On an incoming tide Cockshoot dyke is upstream but down river whilst on an outgoing tide it will be both down river and down stream. However it needs to be remembered that at slack water it is neither up stream nor down stream but is about to be either (but never both).

When the tide is incoming but is very close to high tide it can be in a state where at Horning Swan it is downstream but at Cockshoot it is neither up nor down, Equally, it is important to consider that when the tide has fully ebbed, Cockshoot will still be downstream as the natural flow of the river will have taken over. There will of course be times when Cockshoot will be down stream of the Horning Swan whilst (and at the same time) the Horning Swan will be down stream of Cockshoot Dyke. On those occasions it is normally recommended that you sit in the New Inn and watch the chaos which will inevitably ensue.

If I can be of any further assistance please feel free to ask.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, Regulo said:

Can someone clarify what's upstream and downstream? To me, Cockshoot is downstream from Swan corner. Or am I getting up and down wrong in this context?

I think you are correct but it could mean they will start 300m upstream of the swan and then do sections between  the swan and cockshoot 

The only shallow I know of in that sort of distance is,  Going towards Wroxham up from the club.,  on the first right hand bend on the right hand side  

Down towards Turne Mouth on the right hand bend after pass the richardsons yard and going past the last chalet. is the first shallow that way, unless they cut some more trees back and you can approach the bank..

Neatly avoiding down stream, up stream, up tide, down tide and the Duke of Wellington. ( I didn't think we had a pub of that name in Horning...)

• 2 weeks later...