Boating And Drinking

Well, we love a drink or 3....prefer the bubbly stuff these days,but there is nothing better than cruising along with a glass of something favourite in your hand... always in moderation though and knowing your limits is the key thing - but we have always managed and will continue to do so..

For us, on any holiday, it is part of the relaxation and enjoyment - we have even been known to make the odd cocktail or two whilst we are moored up..

• Like 2

When I started this thread I wasn't saying anything about not having a tipple. What I was getting at was , as has been mentioned, it seems one feels that being on a boat means getting out glasses and pouring a drink whilst on the move or stationary. When I get in at home or on board , or even visiting , a cuppa is normally offered . There again I would never ever consider a drink whilst behind the wheel of my car so what is different about a boat ? 

Nigel

My inclusion in this discussion, had nothing to do with irresponsible drinking nor was it intended to be judgemental regarding those who do drink. The OP stated that he is teetotal, and thought that alcohol plays a (significant) part in boating for some people. I did not take this as any suggestion that this is irresponsible drinking leading to dangerous situations. His, and hope mine, comments were quite happy for others to do as they wish. He was just describing part of his life-style and asking for people's thoughts. I was in no way suggesting that social drinking that causes no danger to others whilst boating should be discouraged. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

Well I don't drink that much :default_norty: 

:default_rofl:

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

I don't see any harm in it but totally understand you guys that are teetotal. I do believe Jay and Mr Nog are too :facepalm:

:default_rofl::default_rofl:

55 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

n my opinion, the idea of even 'actively discouraging'  such behaviour will be detrimental to the broads as a holiday destination. The two go hand in hand for many holiday makers including myself.

I dont mean to say this is what is meant above this is just an observation.   So dont take offence.

I think it would be the death knell of the Broads quite frankly.      May be it is just me but there is nothing worse than someone looking down the end of their nose at you and pronouncing we dont drink alcohol.       I live an area where I have heard on several occasions that saying - oh we dont drink - well all I can say is , you trying getting your empties into the bottle bank after a Bank Holiday weekend or trying to buy a bottle of Scotch when it is on offer in the Supermarkets.    The shelves are cleared but - nobody drinks the stuff.      Each to his own.      :default_winko:

13 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Me?  Never touch the stuff !!!

ROFLMAO

9 hours ago, vanessan said:

growing up is optional.  

Ah thats where I went wrong, that option wasnt on my list of options at junior school Vanessa.

2 hours ago, Gracie said:

But for me there's nothing nicer than helming a boat in the sunshine, the roof back and a nice glass of wine.

a glass darlin just a glass, fort yer would ave said at least bottles darlin xx xx :default_hiding::default_drinks:

• Haha 3

I think this will be my last comment on thread. If I state I have no television on my boat or that I don't drink alcohol it is not because I feel superior to others, it is just part of a discussion where I happen to have some input. I do not look down my nose at those with other life styles. 

• Like 1

Ok I recognise that I "went in a bit heavy", on my last post, for which I apologise, it was a bit of a pre-emptive strike at those I have heard before on forums who in my opinion tend to attack those who enjoy a few, perhaps a few too many.

Johnb, I was typing this as you put in your post. It seems likely that you haven't witnessed the 'Holier than thou' group who, by amazing coincidence, do go looking down their noses on three subjects. Drinking & Helming, Televisions on a boat, and the mine you haven't yet trodden on, the wearing of life jackets.

These people have given me this somewhat paranoid outlook causing me to over-react from time to time. Sorry about that. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I think it helps!

I can only bring a cruiser into a stern on mooring properly if I have a glass of wine in one hand.   :default_winko:

Me too

In fact if I crash the boat into the quay at least I won't care so much :default_norty:

Grace

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Me too

In fact if I crash the boat into the quay at least I won't care so much :default_norty:

Grace

Women shouldn't be helming anyway. They are there to look pretty and fetch the beers 

:default_hiding: Jayfire - NBN equality champion

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I think it helps!

I can only bring a cruiser into a stern on mooring properly if I have a glass of wine in one hand.   :default_winko:

does that mean when you are perfectly stern mooring two cruisers you have a glass in each hand?

• Haha 1

I am still of the opinion that drinking and boating together is compulsory.

It is Isn’t it?

We use elec points sometimes, the onboard tv and dvd sometimes, the smart sound system sometimes, sometimes we have a drink whilst underway too. What I’m trying to say is each to their own in moderation, however we all have differing ideas of what is moderate, which is fine and dandy by me

Griff

• Like 8

Not been a big drinker I was t-total working the trip boat whilst my mates were off there heads with beer. I didn’t used to drink if we went out (driver never paid for drink in return).

Yesterday we went from Ludham to Ransworth and if you passed that was me out on top in the wind and rain with a streaming brew in my hand memory of old boating days. Plus I couldn’t see out from the inside.

I’ll have a couple of beers whilst on the boat in the afternoon, then maybe a few more later once tied up.

We used have a party hire a narrow boat from London that 1st thing loaded was a beer barrel and pump fastened to the roof. How’s that for good week planned.

• Like 1