Go Western Light...

LondonRascal

Robin there used to be a sign on the corner of the house with the balcony, just past the Rising sun. It went something like this. No hire craft beyond this point. It was not official or at least did not look so,  may be put up by a resident of the house.

1 hour ago, springsong said:

Robin there used to be a sign on the corner of the house with the balcony, just past the Rising sun. It went something like this. No hire craft beyond this point

Well as you can see no such sign is there now, and I suspect if this was to be the case that such was official the Broads Authority would have long since replaced it. 

I know we are only making presumptions here, but what a selfish and horrible act that someone might erect such a sign on their property just because perhaps they had issue with hire craft passing their property or might like to go for a stroll down the river bank and prefer it free of hire craft.  A similar situation has occurred on the Yare, where someone living on a moored boat and frustrated with speeding boats (one presumed both hire and private) has erected their own signage on the speed limit signs warning passing boats not to speed and that they are being filmed and would be reported.

I would not have issue if that was something of a trial the Broads Authority had undertook, but it is not. I am also pretty sure the person sought permission from the Broads Authority to put the sign up after many complaints and further frustration that not enough was being done about speeding. I imagine the Broads Authority may have permitted such signage as if it helps deter speeding all to the better.

The point is where does it end? Someone lives near some popular 'wild moorings' but is annoyed at the noise from boats disturbing them so has some signs made and put up saying 'private no mooring' yet they may not be the land owner in question. I think in the closed bubble of the Broads, the only people allowed to approve signage should be the Broads Authority, and as I have said countless times I do wish they themselves would agree on a standard font, background and style of sign as they change in style and type so much even along the same river!

All this heat and sunshine has got me to throw some of my toys out of my pram.

A similar situation has occurred on the Yare, where someone living on a moored boat and frustrated with speeding boats (one presumed both hire and private) has erected their own signage on the speed limit signs warning passing boats not to speed and that they are being filmed and would be reported.

I don’t they’re in any way similar situations.
If your speculation is correct on both counts one is trying to exclude people from an area they’ve got no right to exclude them from and the other is helping the authorities to enforce legitimate rules.

27 minutes ago, JohnK said:

If your speculation is correct on both counts one is trying to exclude people from an area they’ve got no right to exclude them from and the other is helping the authorities to enforce legitimate rules.

Having got back in my pram with the said thrown out toys and going over things, I agree. To a point mind..

Yes, it may be helpful to assist - I am all for community speed patrols in villages for example, and I would be all for people reporting speeding boats to the Broads Authority and using video evidence - but do we really need individuals also erecting their own signage?

By all means if the Broads Authority wish to put up their own warning signs to assist those who live/moor along a stretch of river in helping rivers users awareness of speed and aid those who are reporting such but otherwise all and sundry can go putting up signs - at this rate I will take matters in my hands and fit LED coloured navigation markers on the posts of Breydon and Barton. Similar thing..

1 minute ago, LondonRascal said:

By all means if the Broads Authority wish to put up their own warning signs to assist those who live/moor along a stretch of river in helping rivers users awareness of speed and aid those who are reporting such but otherwise all and sundry can go putting up signs - at this rate I will take matters in my hands and fit LED coloured navigation markers on the posts of Breydon and Barton. Similar thing..

If you could do Hickling Broad at the same time Mauricemynah would be most grateful :default_norty:

• 2 weeks later...

Day Three:

Watching back over the video and remembering how unwell Shiela and I were, then waking up to a dank and miserable day with a lot of Fog somehow seems so far away and how quickly things change - leaves on the trees just beginning, yet now lush with growth. A sign of how much I have been doing of late not to have got the Blog edited sooner.

So we began at Coltishall and I did contemplate having breakfast in the pub (they serve from 8:00am to 10:00am) but frankly did not much feel alive enough. A couple of coffees and some snacks did the job and we got underway and into ever thicker Fog. It is not something you have to do on the Broads, but I find it handy to let other people who may be in the mist to know you are there at least. So, every two minutes I would sound one long blast on the horn.  It might not change much really but if someone was there and did hear it they would know that something was coming along so make them a little more alert to the fact.

We arrived at Wroxham and moored up and I was off to the Chemist for potions and over prices sugar syrup called Cough Medicine. Shiela had the cough I had the sore throat. I then popped into the Broads Visitor Centre and bought some key rings and tide table booklets to subsidise their away days :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: before heading back to the boat and calling the Pilot up to take us back through the Bridge.

While I was there I happened to meet some folks who were avid viewers of my Blogs and made there day with a hand shake - Shiela thought it was all most annoying that for the umpteen time someone we did not know had come over to talk to us as if they were old friends. I get used to this, but it can be a bit disconcerting at times.

The Pilot duly arrived and took us under the bridge and from Wroxham, through Horning the day was much brighter and the fog long gone. We had no real plan where we would be headed just so long as by the end of the day we were not too far from Herbert Woods to return the boat int he morning. We headed for St. Benet's initally. As we passed Ranworth Dam, the Fog once again began to build up - not as bad as at Coltishall earlier, but none the less made the landscape change considerable and the temperature fell too.

We moored up at St. Benent's and before long I was off to film in the mist - I wish I had taken more shots, stayed longer and used a Tripod - but Shiela was not feeling too warm and stayed on the boat and I did not want to get too much in the dog house for filming stuff when we were on our break. That said what I did capture really did have a nice feel about it, nobody there, and the mist rolling in and around the ruins made a familiar area look different.

Back on the boat and off to Ludham Bridge, a quick nosy as we passed Ludham Bridge Boatyard, Trixie still was in the water and having come through the bridge we passed the moorings, made a turn and came back to moor - why not head to the Dog Inn for lunch? We got half way (ok we got to the shop) popped in grabbed an ice cream and then decided we could not be bothered to go on walking so headed back to the boat. 

Back underway, Thurne Dyke was the destination - and our final stop. We would eat in the Lion pub and enable us to have lots of time to pack up and me film the boat review. We duly arrived to a pretty empty dyke, I spun the boat around and backed it down the dyke and moored up. Roof back, a much brighter day now and time to just sit and relax. The pub later was spot on as ever, great food, great drinks and this becoming a firm favorite of mine on the Broads. Alas the only issue was us not feeling too great and having only a weekend break - but it was nice to be a hirer again and finally get around to having a real classic from the 90's.

• Like 6