What Do We Want At Acle Bridge?

JennyMorgan

5 hours ago, JohnK said:

Absolutely. Sadly he’d be made to feel less welcome than Mel Holland was!

I think he would be made very welcome here, and as a member nobody would then be allowed to post personal abusive posts toward him (the moderators would see to that), whether he can withstand the levels of constructive criticism that we would generate is a different matter.

being fair to the forum, most criticism here is constructive, in that we give the reasoning behind the criticism, if JP were here and paid attention to the criticism, then I am sure we could get the broads to be a place where everyone wins.

Mel was made welcome, she left again on advice from her supporters, because the constructive criticism was either not what she / they wanted to hear, or just that she / they did not want to hear of the potential problems or answer the questions, but thats another issue and way off this topic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

I think he would be made very welcome here, and as a member nobody would then be allowed to post personal abusive posts toward him (the moderators would see to that), whether he can withstand the levels of constructive criticism that we would generate is a different matter.
being fair to the forum, most criticism here is constructive, in that we give the reasoning behind the criticism, if JP were here and paid attention to the criticism, then I am sure we could get the broads to be a place where everyone wins.
Mel was made welcome, she left again on advice from her supporters, because the constructive criticism was either not what she / they wanted to hear, or just that she / they did not want to hear of the potential problems or answer the questions, but thats another issue and way off this topic.

Wow.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grendel said:

A fair and constructive appraisal, thank you. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

As has been previously stated on here , it is with no doubt that someone at the BA must read this forum , and I as a member would like to invite JP to join as he has “the other place” , we often make assumptions as to what is going on in Yare House based on heresay what can be better than first hand information.

im sure that if he did , a modicum of respect would and should be shown by our members 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I am not and never have been pro or anti BA taking each topic at face value and look objectively at each topic on its merits so why is it that those that look on anyone who puts up a constructive argument against BA proposals can only answer with derision instead of a constructive counter argument.

Fred

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I’m not saying you’re wrong and I’m right but it’s amazing different people can look at the same forum and the same posts and come to exactly opposite conclusions on what has happened and what would happen in some circumstances.
I think JP would get crucified, suffer personal abuse and the mods wouldn’t stop it.
I do agree some of the criticism would be constructive but most wouldn’t.
I don’t think Mel was made welcome and I think she was driven out.
As I say, I’m not saying I’m right, just making the point of how we see things differently.
Out of interest was your mod hat on or off when you posted?
  • Like 2

I am not and never have been pro or anti BA taking each topic at face value and look objectively at each topic on its merits so why is it that those that look on anyone who puts up a constructive argument against BA proposals can only answer with derision instead of a constructive counter argument.
Fred

I’m pro BA in that I like most of what they do.
So I assume I’m one of the people who “can only answer with derision”
Could you give me an example of where I’ve derided people who have put up a constructive argument against something the BA has proposed?
I ask because I’d like the opportunity to apologise to the person or people I’ve derided.

12 minutes ago, JohnK said:

Out of interest was your mod hat on or off when you posted? emoji57.png

Half on and half off, I was entirely serious when I said that we would not allow personal abuse - it is against the tos, but otherwise my opinions are mine.

26 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Fred

While I wouldnt say it is derision, certainly anyone who criticises the BA is seen to be anti BA, in some circles, even if that criticism is constructive in its nature. but does it extend to derision? certainly we dont always see a constructive response.

44 minutes ago, batrabill said:

This should be in Jokes yes?

does this count as derision - Well I dont know, it could be taken several ways.

1 hour ago, JohnK said:

Wow.

not enough information in this post to define derision - incredulity maybe?

• Like 1

I'm not anti BA, I am anti stupidity and will voice my concerns if I think an idea is unwise, if you see the beginning of this thread where I was proposing some out of the box (maybe) options, and even suggesting the forum get together to place an entry, is that the action of an anti BA supporter?

OK on further looking into things I spotted some inconsistencies between what the BA think they own and what the land registry think the boundaries are, but then I dont know who controls the land (waterways) that those sections of unregistered land represent, if they were adopted highways they would fall under the local council for maintenance.

Its just as part of my job I have to check things like this, as if we lay cables in such land we require a huge indemnity insurance in case someone comes along and says 'get orf my land' so I know these things can be deal breakers.

The same as when I am at work and spot a problem, I raise a query, once addressed a solution can be found, but sweep it under the carpet and it will come back and bite you in the bum.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnK said:

I’m pro BA in that I like most of what they do.
So I assume I’m one of the people who “can only answer with derision”
Could you give me an example of where I’ve derided people who have put up a constructive argument against something the BA has proposed?
I ask because I’d like the opportunity to apologise to the person or people I’ve derided.

I wasnt refering to any individual but an on going theme in many threads, derision sarcasm ridicule take yòur pick what I dont see is a constructive response the nub of a mature debate, if anyone thinks it applys to them maybe they should ask themselves why, constructive criticism is far more beneficial than blind acceptance.

Fred

I wasnt refering to any individual but an on going theme in many threads, derision sarcasm ridicule take yòur pick what I dont see is a constructive response the nub of a mature debate, if anyone thinks it applys to them maybe they should ask themselves why, constructive criticism is far more beneficial than blind acceptance.
Fred

Unless I misunderstood your first post you seem to be saying that people who criticise the BA do so constructively then people on “the other side” deride them.
Grendel appears to say something similar.
Have I misunderstood or is that what you think happens?

Unless I misunderstood your first post you seem to be saying that people who criticise the BA do so constructively then people on “the other side” deride them.
Grendel appears to say something similar.
Have I misunderstood or is that what you think happens?
I think it's just that having put some thought and reasoning into the criticism, the response seems to just be that we are bashing the BA, and not a constructive response.
This makes us feel that out concerns are just being dismissed lightly. At least if the response comes back with a reasoned argument, we can at least respect the thought that has gone into the response.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

I think it's just that having put some thought and reasoning into the criticism, the response seems to just be that we are bashing the BA, and not a constructive response.
This makes us feel that out concerns are just being dismissed lightly. At least if the response comes back with a reasoned argument, we can at least respect the thought that has gone into the response.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

I may think it but I don’t believe I’ve ever said anyone here is BA bashing.
I always try to put up a reasoned argument for my point of view. I guess I’ve wasted my effort.

17 minutes ago, JohnK said:

I may think it but I don’t believe I’ve ever said anyone here is BA bashing.
I always try to put up a reasoned argument for my point of view. I guess I’ve wasted my effort.

Not every comment  is directed to or aimed at you, as I said l was refuring to a theme not individuals 

Fred

20 minutes ago, JohnK said:

I guess I’ve wasted my effort.

On the contrary, you have put forth reasoned arguments for your points, so the effort is not wasted. alas not every BA supporter is so forthcoming.

we are talking in generalisations so as not to single out any one individual. there are also BA detractors (posh word we use it all the time when we do surveys of our clientele) who dont always back up their points with constructive comment, 

reasoned debate while remaining courteous is the basis of forums (an area where facebook to my mind fails dismally) after all it would be a dull world where everyone agreed with each other all the time.

• Like 5