Inverter Install

3 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

It’s not worth it on a little boat like Teixie is but an Isolation Transformer is the way if you have space. Also the galvanic corrosion tend to happens far more aggressively in salt water.

On Independence, almost all her Anodes have been eaten away - no doubt from being moored in a salt water marina for so long with masses of other boats all around connected to shore power supplies not to mention her own - without any form of galvanic isolator onboard. Clever stuff but just more items to attend to now she is in fresh water as will change the type of metal to Aluminium (don’t fancy Magnesium) from Zinc.

Trixie needs a good going over so far as the mains power side of things goes, it looks tidy and safe enough but I have no idea if was a DIY job or professional and when dealing with mains voltage I’d rather be safer than sorry. 

For a start galvanic corrosion doesn't occur primely in salt water that is a myth it will occur anywhere there is stray electricity in the water from canals to rivers to the sea it doesn't pick and chose , it will eat your stern gear if you are not protected regardless of boat size an all boats will suffer from it and need lifting to correct it .

Imagine this your boat hasn't got an earth wire , good news its unlikely you will suffer corrosion , but bear in mind your breakers on the mains side will not do the job they are supposed to , a galvanic isolator is basically a switch in the earth lead normally open but should a short circuit happen it reacts faster than the breakers and sends the circuit to earth , if you have an earth lead constantly connected it will attract corrosion that's a fact , hence galvanic isolators are a good idea , they protect the metal work in the water and that can include the hull on steel boats but they also protect those onboard from electric shock as they react faster than the breakers .

How do I know all this via research and owning n building the very boats that are most likely to suffer ie steel ones .

Sorry of I sound aggressive I don't mean to be but I really would like real world advice  , if you don't believe me look on internet but on sites Known for expert advice .