So, What Would You Do?

Davydine

3 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

If I want to help my fellow water users (in this case the Anglers) it would help if I knew exactly what the anglers wanted me to do.

If they are casting well over towards the other bank, do they want me to cruise over their swim, Or close to them? Do they want me to change my engine revs so close to the fish they are after, given that the fish will have sensed me approaching for ages before hand.. If they wish that I should take ANY action to assist them, is it not reasonable that they should make it clear to all boaters just whereabouts they are. Sorry Bound2please, but I'm having difficulty seeing your side of the discussion here.

It is quite clear, if the river is too narrow for the boat to deviate around the rod & line it is the fisherman's responsibility to clear the river for navigation, I don't think a discussion is necessary.

I once (2012 Far Horizon) was heading away from Potter Heigham and coming towards me was a dinghy that was being over taken by a boat - this in turn narrowed the already narrow waterway here and pushed me over to the starboard side. Three men were fishing from the frontage of one of the Chalets and saw me approaching.

They made no attempt to remove their lines, instead just shouted at me to 'move over' which was rapidly followed with 'can't you [f'ing] hear move the [f] over'. Nice people they were. The net result was they lost some of their tackle. 

Despite their initial response prior to this (not taking it out the water and shouting at me) I backed up and almost level to offered to pay them for their loss. The result was sudden shock - bemusement even - and telling me suddenly it was not a problem and not to worry about it, so I insisted since they had been so vocal to begin but they continued to tell me it was not a problem (though did not say sorry). Funny old world.

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

If I want to help my fellow water users (in this case the Anglers) it would help if I knew exactly what the anglers wanted me to do.

If they are casting well over towards the other bank, do they want me to cruise over their swim, Or close to them? Do they want me to change my engine revs so close to the fish they are after, given that the fish will have sensed me approaching for ages before hand.. If they wish that I should take ANY action to assist them, is it not reasonable that they should make it clear to all boaters just whereabouts they are. Sorry Bound2please, but I'm having difficulty seeing your side of the discussion here.

This is pretty much a "boaters" forum so I doubt that you will seek very much in the way of what Anglers want.

1 hour ago, Philosophical said:

It is quite clear, if the river is too narrow for the boat to deviate around the rod & line it is the fisherman's responsibility to clear the river for navigation, I don't think a discussion is necessary.

I beg to differ stone age man was fishing these rivers long before boats (Wherries) were even thought of. So for people to think boats have ther god given right over angers doesnt wash here.

2 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

I beg to differ stone age man was fishing these rivers long before boats (Wherries) were even thought of. So for people to think boats have ther god given right over angers doesnt wash here.

That maybe one way of looking at it, but fortunately the BA to whom we pay our tolls and who are tasked with looking after The Broads, which are the waterways in question we are talking about, they and their byelaws see it differently. :default_beerchug:

3 hours ago, Bound2Please said:

But at the end of the day the rivers are for all, why should anglers change habit's that were established long before motorised craft were thought of.

Sadly the habits of some anglers, along with the gear used these days is a very far cry from the past.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

Sorry Charlie, but I'm pretty sure you're wrong there, in as much as although the 'right of navigation' isn't god given, it was given by the law of the land (Parliament). Fishing for food isn't allowed anymore (I believe) on the broads, and fishing as a pastime wasn't popular until the Victorian period approximately. Finally, Stone age man didn't dress up in flack jackets and fish with 40' carbon fibre roach poles.

I had asked what it was that anglers wanted boaters to do to assist them, I'm yet to find out!!!

• Like 5

Fishing tackle and boats alike have changed almost beyond recognition over the last few decades. I think the same can be said for much of mankind. We don’t seem to have the give and take there used to be. Luckily I am married to a gentleman who knows how to be courteous and goes out of his way to rub along with other folk, whatever their disposition. Sometimes I wonder what we are doing cruising on the port side of the river, then I realise we are avoiding an angler (or three!). On the very odd occasion we have even got a wave of acknowledgement. In 36 years of boating I cannot remember ever being given instructions by an angler, not one we could manage anyway! 

• Like 2

Trying to be constructive and move this discussion forward. What do the two parties want from each other?

I'm guessing that the angler wants to be able to fish in peace and not have to keep bringing his line in?

To aid that I will keep doing what I've always done and move towards the centre of the channel, or even the other side if there is space and more importantly I can see you in the first place.

What do I want from anglers. Well first and foremost to be able to see you! To see you well enough in advance that I don't have to make last minute decisions. And finally some appreciation of my predicament if I haven't seen you to the last minute and can not take any other course of action, but to disturb your fishing because I am being forced towards the bank by another boat overtaking, or a saily tacking towards me.

• Like 1

im both a holiday  boating dude, and a grumpy holiday fisherman.

Id like to think that if a boat was heading in the direction of my line, I would draw it in. If it kept happening , I would fish a different spot.

Likewise , if I was driving the boat and spotted the fisherman ( not always easy!) I would try and give the fisherman a wide berth.  When approaching someone fishing, its not always easy working out if he is fishing close to the bank he sits on, or sometimes its the completely opposite side ( the grass is always greener!!)

Its a bit like oncoming tacking yachts, you do your best to read their mind , but sometimes get it wrong!!

If I get either of these decisions wrong, an apologetic wave is offered, if it still results in arms flailing , steam out the ears, I just smile and remind myself im there to be chilled. The broads is a big place, plenty room for us all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bound2Please said:

Are you seriously suggesting that two fishemen (grumpy or otherwise) on either side of a narrow river like the Ant could stop river traffic for as long as they wanted?

What happened to give and take?

52 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Trying to be constructive and move this discussion forward. What do the two parties want from each other?

I'm guessing that the angler wants to be able to fish in peace and not have to keep bringing his line in?

To aid that I will keep doing what I've always done and move towards the centre of the channel, or even the other side if there is space and more importantly I can see you in the first place.

What do I want from anglers. Well first and foremost to be able to see you! To see you well enough in advance that I don't have to make last minute decisions. And finally some appreciation of my predicament if I haven't seen you to the last minute and can not take any other course of action, but to disturb your fishing because I am being forced towards the bank by another boat overtaking, or a saily tacking towards me.

If an angler wants to fish in piece and quiet there is almost as much water in Norfolk that does not have boat traffic as does. Why not fish where there is no river traffic?..........

14 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

If an angler wants to fish in piece and quiet there is almost as much water in Norfolk that does not have boat traffic as does. Why not fish where there is no river traffic?.........

I must say that has always baffled me as fishing seems to take place in the most congested areas. 

I must admit I know nothing about fishing whatsoever but wonder if areas such as above Potter Bridge or the Trinity Broads would be any good? 

11 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

If an angler wants to fish in piece and quiet there is almost as much water in Norfolk that does not have boat traffic as does. Why not fish where there is no river traffic?..........

A good question and I really don't know the answer. I'm guessing but perhaps different sections of river are better for certain types of fish? perhaps some people like to fish closer to where they live? Perhaps some fishermen do like the distraction of seeing boats go past rather than just staring at still water? I quite like to sit in a riverside pub garden and watch the waterborne activities.

Fishing is not a sport, if you can call it that, that I partake in, or to be honest I understand. I can see the attraction of sea fishing and taking home what you have caught to eat, but not really understand the need to hook a fish, then throw it back in again. However there are plenty that do enjoy it, each to their own. However just because I don't understand it, I'm not anti angling, just anti the attitudes of a few anglers who either think they own the river, or want to hide in the reeds and then moan when you haven't seen them.

I do give and take when it comes to fishing, unfortunately for what ever reason some one felt duty Bound 2 try to yank my chain when I first bought up the subject of fishing line around the prop in reply to Hylander asking if anyone had actually bought any string. Like I say each to their own. :default_beerchug: 

7 hours ago, Bound2Please said:

Why oh why are people wanting lynch mobs for hirers, there could be a very valid reason for a hire boat moving in darkness, a medical emergency on a boat mud weighted moored wild with no access other that water etc etc ...

Lets quit this trial by forum, its not nice, and mostly its all heresay and opinions any way. So why not wait until full facts are known.

Well said Charlie

Not all hirers are idiots with total disregard for the rules. Perhaps there was a valid reason this crew were navigating at night, maybe not, who knows? That's just it, no one does do they?

The rivers are there for all of us to enjoy, I haven't a problem with any of them apart from the flappy thingies of course, zig zagging all over the place, they're a ruddy nightmare :default_norty:

Grace

• Like 3

I think one of the problems fishing above potter bridge is there are remarkably few places you can reach to fish from the bank other than the Thurne itself. The trinity broads are fairly restricted as well.

Most of the banks of the Hickling, Martham, and horsey broads are fish conservation areas.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news-and-publications/publications-and-reports/conservation-publications-and-reports/water-conservation-reports/50.-Angle-on-the-Broads.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjoztm0y_baAhWQZFAKHaBKABgQFjACegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw0KEVQWGxcULjA8ivMmhY86

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

f an angler wants to fish in piece and quiet there is almost as much water in Norfolk that does not have boat traffic as does. Why not fish where there is no river traffic?..........

The rivers are there for all anglers and all forms of boating.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

I backed up and almost level to offered to pay them for their loss. 

Are you serious!!!!!! If any angler fishes in a swim that he knows will see boats that have a right to those waters and possibly upset his day's fishing, has no right to let loose a foul mouthed attitude.

You come across as though someone has touched a delicate nerve!

I love to be on a boat and also love to fish. There are many ways to to enjoy the Broads and all should be tolerant of each other, just as we should be in all aspects. Less wars, less shootings, less stabbing, less arguing, less conflict on the forum and therefore many more content and happy people. Why do we have to try and cause friction and trouble. 

I am pretty sure I have never said such a thing

So for people to think boats have ther god given right over angers doesnt wash here.

So if boats do not have a right over anglers, what if anglers refused to give boats passage?