Rare Hampton Mk Iv

Ray

Perhaps a bit off the subject but I knew Alec Hampton. A very gentle and kind man who sadly died of drowning one night on his yard at Oulton. He had stayed behind to finish a job on a boat on the quay after the staff had all gone home. He must have fallen in while there was no-one around to notice and since then I have always had a rule that staff don't work out on the quay on their own, especially in winter.

He also designed and made the famous Safari "Toplet" thunder box toilets which revolutionised the hire boat business when we introduced pumpouts to the Broads. I say "we" because they were designed, made, installed and paid for entirely by the boatyards themselves, with no outside assistance. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I'm always interested to see ex-hire rarities. I saw one of these last weekend at Rowan Craft Marina, it may have been the same one. Actually that marina is ex-hireboat city. I counted 4 Safari 25s apart from the sedan and all sorts of others. Geek that I am I found myself looking up the numbers on the boat database. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

I'm always interested to see ex-hire rarities. I saw one of these last weekend at Rowan Craft Marina, it may have been the same one. Actually that marina is ex-hireboat city. I counted 4 Safari 25s apart from the sedan and all sorts of others. Geek that I am I found myself looking up the numbers on the boat database. 

I think you may be right, I do believe I saw Wild Thyme last year at Rowan Craft. That is a lovely peaceful and pleasant spot, if the purchaser of the boat could also keep the mooring, they would be onto a winner I reckon!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, boycee said:

Its on the NYA website ex Brundall and is marked as SOLD

Boycee :594c04f0e761f_default_AnimatedGifVehiclessaily:

I think that's an archived page from last time it sold

• 2 months later...
On 12/05/2018 at 06:12, Ray said:

That's good, I'm sure someone has got a cracking boat there. I'd have been tempted but we only bought our Mk3 last December

Hi, I am the new owner of wild thyme (Hampton MK 4) I bought her three weeks ago, there was only three built, one had a mishap with a bridge and has since been somewhat altered in design, the one I bought and the one at Rowan Craft are identical boats, So yes for an Ex-hire boat Very rare, compared to the Mk 2 and Mk 3 Hamptons  as different as Chalk and cheese, but as these were not only built but fitted out by Hamptons for their own Hire fleet the finish is extremely good. So I am a happy boater  :default_biggrin:

• Like 6

On 12/07/2018 at 10:43, eddybear said:

Hi, I am the new owner of wild thyme (Hampton MK 4) I bought her three weeks ago, there was only three built, one had a mishap with a bridge and has since been somewhat altered in design, the one I bought and the one at Rowan Craft are identical boats, So yes for an Ex-hire boat Very rare, compared to the Mk 2 and Mk 3 Hamptons  as different as Chalk and cheese, but as these were not only built but fitted out by Hamptons for their own Hire fleet the finish is extremely good. So I am a happy boater  :default_biggrin:

Pleasure to meet you this evening and many thanks for showing me round Wild Thyme. If you fancy a beer or wine later.....I'm in all night :default_beerchug:

• Like 1