Wanted. Help From A Nerdy Inventer

Hi all, This is not broads related but...

This is a tricky one to describe so I’ll start by explaining the situation. One of the friends I am staying with  is a 90 year old lady who’s eyesight is failing. So,  We need a telephone with very big buttons.

The house is a converted Chapel built in the late 1700s and converted to a dwelling back in the 1930s. The walls are thick and the building is long and narrow running east-west.

The telephone landline comes into the house at the far western end but the room the lady chooses to ‘live in’ is at the  eastern end.

Running a telephone extension lead the length of the house is impractical.

All telephones with really big buttons are corded and require plugging into the phone socket. All cordless phones have buttons too small. All mobile phones have even smaller buttons.

We need a big buttoned phone at the opposite end of the house from the socket.

Well that’s the problem, Any ideas?... pretty please.

Oh, and a PS,,. Whilst the lady is pretty smart and on the ball, she is not up to learning much in the way of new tech, so tablets and things is a non starter. Alzheimer's is starting, but that's not bad for a 90 year old. 

3 minutes ago, High6 said:

True, we've only had 3 mains brown-outs in the last six months, and a couple of breaker trips when a bulb blew, but isn't that when an elderly person might want help or panic most?

I was referring to my house,  I can't remember the last time we had a power failure,  obviously if the ladies house is prone to outage the system would not be suitable. I have a 94 year old living with us, she struggles with the tv remote so I do understand the problem.

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Hi all, This is not broads related but...

This is a tricky one to describe so I’ll start by explaining the situation. One of the friends I am staying with  is a 90 year old lady who’s eyesight is failing. So,  We need a telephone with very big buttons.

The house is a converted Chapel built in the late 1700s and converted to a dwelling back in the 1930s. The walls are thick and the building is long and narrow running east-west.

The telephone landline comes into the house at the far western end but the room the lady chooses to ‘live in’ is at the  eastern end.

Running a telephone extension lead the length of the house is impractical.

All telephones with really big buttons are corded and require plugging into the phone socket. All cordless phones have buttons too small. All mobile phones have even smaller buttons.

We need a big buttoned phone at the opposite end of the house from the socket.

Well that’s the problem, Any ideas?... pretty please.

Oh, and a PS,,. Whilst the lady is pretty smart and on the ball, she is not up to learning much in the way of new tech, so tablets and things is a non starter. Alzheimer's is starting, but that's not bad for a 90 year old. 

Hi John,

I would use some of the heavy duty cat6 cable and take it around the outside of the building.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2