Broom Scorpio

LondonRascal

I wonder what people think about these craft?

I know they are a bit of a 'no no' on the Broads as with the right size engine they can really get going and get you into all sorts of trouble but I rather like the classic lines and simplicity of what is effectively a good old fashion 'speed boat'.

Yes ,I am wondering - tentatively about getting one. Where Indy is moored I have free use of the slipway and could get the boat like stored very cheap.This might be something to consider as a bit of a fun day boat. Or not - this is me being 'responsible' and not rushing and being rash you see. Opinions welcome..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LondonRascal said:

I wonder what people think about these craft?

I know they are a bit of a 'no no' on the Broads as with the right size engine they can really get going and get you into all sorts of trouble but I rather like the classic lines and simplicity of what is effectively a good old fashion 'speed boat'.

Yes ,I am wondering - tentatively about getting one. Where Indy is moored I have free use of the slipway and could get the boat like stored very cheap.This might be something to consider as a bit of a fun day boat. Or not - this is me being 'responsible' and not rushing and being rash you see. Opinions welcome..

And there was me thinking you already had a small fun day boat on the roof ? , plenty of ski boats on the broads some with very large engines all that's required is a common sense approach to the use of the throttle , that said the temptation is obviously too much for some on the river yare as a lot of folk that have moored at church fen will know .

Want my opinion ( n you probably don't :15_yum: ) use what you already have , if its a pain having it on the roof get a trailer and launch as required , after all you can only use one boat at once .

It looks pretty original, nothing fancy at all - but original gel coat, a small 9.9Hp 4 stroke (no sliding canopy). Recent work has been done on her, polished, outboard service, anti fouled and comes with trailer too. Nice little package:

Sc2.jpg

Sc3.jpg

Sc1.jpg

I know you can only use one thing at one time, but you can also use one thing on one day and another on another day - some have a collection of motorbikes others cars neither are my cup of tea, but boats? Yes they are.

What began wondering and then looking at this was popping out last weekend looking for a day boat to hire - then finding they were all booked up (of course they would be, it was a hot bank holiday weekend). The RIB on Indy was a freebie with the boat and is proving annoying. Not only the engine situation but the launching and recovery needs a lot of time, care and the canopy sides all taking up on the sun deck and whatever you do having to repeat the whole exercise afterwards.   It also is very tiny indeed and has a number of impracticalities - take a passenger and where do you put the mooring lines?  They don't show any of this in the sale brochures!

Lets face it the sole purpose of the Williams is to have some fun in a nice sheltered Cove somewhere at anchor on a summers day, or get to shore and back to the 'mother ship' - even better if you have a large boat with a crew who can sort all the faffing about out and put it in the garage. Using it on the Broads it is like going on a long distance journey on a sports motorbike - doable, fast too but no doubt a right back ache inducing annoying ride after a couple of hours.

So, I looked at small day boats  - there not that cheap for something about as attractive as slab sided block of flats. There is a Rapier mind you in Horning,  complete with two beds, a sink and hob (you kneel down to use) and a porta-poti that has been up for sale for months. If you want super super small weekender this might be the ticket.

I could get something like a small Shetland, a Bayliner  or even a Glastron - complete with a massive inboard petrol engine offering bonkers speeds but boy would that bring headaches on a number of levels not least they are fast and fun but not small and lightweight.

What if you just wanted to pootle along the river to a pub? Or drop a mud weight on a Broad and have a little picnic on the boat, sit down after without a care in the world and read a book as you gently pivot at anchor in the breeze.  I can see that being possible in the Scorpio. It does not get much more basic of  a boat unless you get a dinghy with an outboard on the back, and is this particular one is not going to need me to strip layers of old paint, re-line the interior with carpet and flooring and then source a outboard. It seems to have it all there and ready to go in a pretty original form.

I have to say it feels really tempting and also really stupid all in equal measure and this is the problem - its not owning it so much, using it and so on it is what the hell do I do about keeping it. I am not sure my poor mother is going to fancy it being kept on their driveway - I already have my car I can't drive kept there.  But as of 30th May I will have a lot more time on my hands as I am giving up the job and can mess about in boats a bit more so this 'pre-midlife crisis' I seem to be going through seems to be moving to new levels.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Robin,  that is not a Scorpio.

Might be another Broom  model or a lookalike.

10hp might struggle in the tidal flow on the, Yare,  20hp is about right without the engine having to go rev too high.

Happy early retirement /gap year.

Just now, psychicsurveyor said:

Hi Robin,  that is not a Scorpio.

Might be another Broom  model or a lookalike.

I have looked into this it may be a Gemini - I am now more certain it is.

You say it may struggle with tidal flow - really? It weighs 3/4 of sod all so presumed it would be okay dealing with that at least so far as maintaining 6MPH.  Mind you, this is based on me seeing smaller Vikings and Shetlands with outboards in this power range range.

Already the feelings are changing to this being something I need to pass up on, certainly don't want to go down a route of upgrading the engine to more power and so on, it is meant to be basic boating on a shoe string.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

There maybe a cheap hard standing or undercover spot  I know of in Stalham. It could be towed aft of B.A’ on the Lads week too 

Interesting ideas, though Pica is certainly on for this year after the work I have put in to it especially :) 

3 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

I have looked into this it may be a Gemini - I am now more certain it is.

You say it may struggle with tidal flow - really? It weighs 3/4 of sod all so presumed it would be okay dealing with that at least so far as maintaining 6MPH.  Mind you, this is based on me seeing smaller Vikings and Shetlands with outboards in this power range range.

Already the feelings are changing to this being something I need to pass up on, certainly don't want to go down a route of upgrading the engine to more power and so on, it is meant to be basic boating on a shoe string.

At just under half power against the tide I did 6mph today with two up.

The Scorpio with a roof attracts a good premium.

Its defiantly a Gemini not a Scorpio n for tootling around 9.8 hp should be just fine IMHO even on the yare , much bigger n heavier yachts seam to manage just fine on much less power n yes I appreciate they have less resistance in the water .

All you need to remember is just because it says 6 mph ( and that's not very often or for very long mostly its 5 mph ) it doesn't mean you have to do 6 mph :15_yum: .

My little day boat (a little bigger than the Gemini / Scorpio thing pictured but not much) has a 10hp outboard. It will do about 7mph max. Plenty for tides around Potter but maybe not enough for a strong southern tide?

• Like 1

Robin, that looks to me to be a very tidy boat. I have an eleven foot dory with a ten on the back, ideal for the Broads and in a place like Brundall ideal for poking around the likes of Rockland and Surlingham proper. I also have my 21' Drascombe and she has a 4.5 sail/drive on the back.At no point have I felt the need for anything bigger, I can reach max hull speed, obviously won't plane but then I'm not allowed to so why bother. In your position I would go for it, smart little boat and sure to be great fun! By the way, a kayak is also a huge amount of fun, sod the engine, paddle power is the way forward, and sidewards and backwards!!

Brundall doesn't have these vicious tides to be honest iv actually moved an elysian 27 before to day when I had head gasket failure with a mirror 10 equipped with a mercury 3.3hp 2 stroke and against the tide , it only really picks up around reedham , don't get me wrong the tidal effect is there bit in practice its not going to affect that boat /engine combination to the point of being dangerous or not capable of making progress , around burgh castle etc then I would want something a bit bigger but not round brundall .

That engine will be fine on the Yare, but you can up the power very cheaply and easily as the Tohatsu 9.9  is actually the 15hp with a restriction on the carb, but honestly I don't think you would need to.

Main thing I would check on that boat are the floor bearers, if they are solid then its a bargain really

If the jet rib is proving to be next to useless for your requirements why not sell it and use the funds for a nice day boat?  The space could be used for a small dinghy at a fraction of the price if you still want a tender for Indy.

Hi Robin, Wayford Marine Services appear to have a Broom Scorpio for sale. We have always fancied one ourselves, they have a real classic look to them but then again we are a bit biased towards Brooms! Looking for boats is one of the most enjoyable parts of boating - Happy Hunting.

Brundall doesn't have these vicious tides to be honest iv actually moved an elysian 27 before to day when I had head gasket failure with a mirror 10 equipped with a mercury 3.3hp 2 stroke and against the tide , it only really picks up around reedham , don't get me wrong the tidal effect is there bit in practice its not going to affect that boat /engine combination to the point of being dangerous or not capable of making progress , around burgh castle etc then I would want something a bit bigger but not round brundall .

That’s a fair point Ricardo.
I was thinking of the tides around Burgh Castle which I sometimes wouldn’t want to tackle in my day boat.

12 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Robin - I did wonder how long it would be before you gave up your day job! Happy ‘retirement’ to you. You will be able to fully indulge your boating desires whatever form they may take. Good luck in whatever you do. 

Ditto ,

wonder how long until we see “Rascals Rentals” boating hire company