Bye Bye

JohnK

4 hours ago, batrabill said:

Dunno. Haven’t left. Haven’t started a forum. Don’t think forums should have a party line at all. 

All the best. 

But has this one? Seems to me that we have generally healthy debates and often opposing opinion. That some are derailed by the few is to be regretted but by and large we do pretty well as a forum, better than most. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Can I put my take on things? I'm very new to this forum thing, having never been on one...not even a Shoe or a Nail Polish one...in my life. However, I've listened to NN and now joined,  so I'm a virtual newbie and have found that this, if someone asked me, is a really good place to start...and be...just for the experience

Just my thoughts...Dxx

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am struggling with this thread,

What is this supposed Party Line and who has set it. ?

If the majority view is the "party line" surely that is just the ethos of the forum.

If you hold a counter view to the majority,  that is all it is,  it may feel like you are being ganged up on but you just hold a minority view.  That should not stop anyone posting a different perspective,  just don't expect anyone to suddenly convert to a different stance,  anymore that you would alter your stand point.

I find this need to announce the intention to leave the forum in a fanfare very strange,  all it will achieve is to stir up ill will,  if you find this place is not for you,  just stop posting,  you can always return later if you feel it has changed more to your liking.

It is a pity that John has stopped posting at the moment,  I did enjoy most of his posts,  but that is his choice and right.

It is probably better that members ask a few months later,  what happened to…..they haven't posted recently,  hope they are ok.

Shame we are spending so much time on this rather than celebrating a forum contingent who have given time and money to help a fellow forumite to get back on the Broads.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I’m really sad that Johnk feels the need to leave, but I shall still be waving waving like a mad one (with a copy of the Times and a yellow rose!) when passing if you’re around at the end of the month :default_smile:

No forum is perfect, this one is simply less imperfect than most others, in my opinion. That's not intended as a criticism, quite the opposite. That said, I have, as others have already commented, seen an increase of confrontation and intolerance in recent months. It started on the forum's facebook page first causing me to leave that group and has crept into the forum too. I am not sure that a facebook presence has done the forum any favours. 

Some comments have been made about the moderators reluctance to act against this, but be careful what you wish for. Other forums (or should that be fora?) have been all but destroyed by over aggressive moderation. The only workable solution is that we, as the plebeian rank and file consider carefully our own posts, and ensure our reactions to anything we disagree with are positive and constructive rather than critical. 

I have suggested on another forum to which I contribute, if my sporadic outpouring of inane dribble can be misconstrued as contribution, that good bye / I'm off type posts be outlawed by TOS, and that has been adopted on trial. They are rarely helpful, usually quite petty and often to some degree at least snide. If there are members you wish to inform of your departure a PM is the better option. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8

I wish , I really really really wish , that all I had to fret about , was someone being rude, sarcastic, or opposing my views on what is a very reasonable polite forum . 

This is a nice place , and as someone has already said , if this place causes you offence , then I suggest , that Internet forums are not for you . Other forums I vist, are a lot less friendly than here.  I quite enjoy the " banter " on them. 

Here it is different , it's a select few , who happen to love the broads, but it  has evolved into a place where people help each other , in all sorts of ways . , The world is full of differing opinions , and that is how we never stop learning .

I read some threads on here , and I am amazed that people choose to take offence by certain comments . It can be , for me, slightly amusing . And also bewildering . 

I love the broads , and like the people on here who also love it . That is why this place exists surely . There are so many decent human beings on here , they are however allowed  to have differing views on the broads and the world in general. 

That probably only makes sense to me!!!!!

All the best folks 

Neil

• Like 9

So to sum up JK said bye bye.Then followed by 80 posts some of which saying there is a trend where people  feel they have no choice but to leave.Many have said also what in general it is a good forum,which I agree to.Many times when members have a problem others offer without question help.What I would like to end with this post is,if you think you are picked on is raise it with mods or just raise it with members.Perhaps this thread has run it's course

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Wonderwall said:

I wish , I really really really wish , that all I had to fret about , was someone being rude, sarcastic, or opposing my views on what is a very reasonable polite forum . 

This is a nice place , and as someone has already said , if this place causes you offence , then I suggest , that Internet forums are not for you . Other forums I vist, are a lot less friendly than here.  I quite enjoy the " banter " on them. 

Here it is different , it's a select few , who happen to love the broads, but it  has evolved into a place where people help each other , in all sorts of ways . , The world is full of differing opinions , and that is how we never stop learning .

I read some threads on here , and I am amazed that people choose to take offence by certain comments . It can be , for me, slightly amusing . And also bewildering . 

I love the broads , and like the people on here who also love it . That is why this place exists surely . There are so many decent human beings on here , they are however allowed  to have differing views on the broads and the world in general. 

That probably only makes sense to me!!!!!

All the best folks 

Neil

20 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

So to sum up JK said bye bye.Then followed by 80 posts some of which saying there is a trend where people  feel they have no choice but to leave.Many have said also what in general it is a good forum,which I agree to.Many times when members have a problem others offer without question help.What I would like to end with this post is,if you think you are picked on is raise it with mods or just raise it with members.Perhaps this thread has run it's course

I am just about to go to bed but just had to comment on the last two posts, so very well said and spot on in my humble opinion.

Some on here could learn a lot from those last two posts

Grace

• Like 4

I recently left another broads forum because of a few contributors who I felt, were intent on stirring things up, often making comments that they would hesitate to say in the pub. Some of those people appear on here from time to time. I now keep my posting to a minimum. 

I have got to know John reasonably well over the last few months and I judge him to be intelligent, kind and a helluva nice guy. The forum will be poorer without him.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Grainside I agree with JM

There are a couple of Muppets but generally the NBN is a friendly enjoyable forum so please don't keep your contributions to a minimum, heck, these guys n girls tolerate me so you should have no problems whatsoever :default_biggrin:

You say "Yes", I say "No".
You say "Stop" and I say "Go, go, go".
Oh no.
You say "Goodbye" and I say "Hello, hello, hello".
I don't know why you say "Goodbye", I say "Hello, hello, hello".
I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello.
I say "High", you say "Low".
You say "Why?" And I say "I don't know".
Oh no.
(Hello, goodbye, hello, goodbye. Hello, goodbye.)
I don't know why you say "Goodbye", I say "Hello".
(Hello, goodbye, hello, goodbye. Hello, goodbye. Hello, goodbye.)
Why, why, why, why, why, why, do you
Say "Goodbye, goodbye, bye, bye".
Oh no.

Fred

27 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

Grainside I agree with JM

There are a couple of Muppets but generally the NBN is a friendly enjoyable forum so please don't keep your contributions to a minimum, heck, these guys n girls tolerate me so you should have no problems whatsoever :default_biggrin:

So true, so very true!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rightsaidfred said:

You say "Yes", I say "No".
You say "Stop" and I say "Go, go, go".
Oh no.
Oh no.
(Hello, goodbye, hello, goodbye. Hello, goodbye.)
I don't know why you say "Goodbye", I say "Hello".
(Hello, goodbye, hello, goodbye. Hello, goodbye. Hello, goodbye.)
Why, why, why, why, why, why, do you
Say "Goodbye, goodbye, bye, bye".
Oh no.

Fred

Interesting post.To sum up it's about saying hello and goodbye.:default_sleep::default_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Jayfire said:

I'm constructing my "I'm Leaving" post as we speak :default_biggrin:

I totally forbid that thank you very much

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Oh no, another one and a half pages devoted to pleadings from devoted fans!!

Yes there will be and mostly all posted by me :default_norty:

Grace

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Gracie said:

I totally forbid that thank you very much

:default_biggrin: How could I deprive JM and others of my "interesting and intelligent" posts, or my hilarious well thought out jokes :default_rofl:

Yes there will be and all posted by me :default_norty:

Don't worry gorgeous, I could never leave you :default_biggrin:

54 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

:default_biggrin: How could I deprive JM and others of my "interesting and intelligent" posts, or my hilarious well thought out jokes :default_rofl:

Don't worry gorgeous, I could never leave you :default_biggrin:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!! Even for a gorgeous nymph that doesn't constantly demand new shoes?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Interesting post.To sum up it's about saying hello and goodbye.:default_sleep::default_biggrin:

Oh no.

Fred

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Delilah said:

"it's time to face the music, JF..... it's time to light the lights...... 

D..xx

Childhood fears...

Statler_and_Waldorf.jpg.ef836e4f4ba6ffaf58d7ef3606b8f1b4.jpg

12 minutes ago, Delilah said:

You would never....would you? Not me?

D..xx

I bloody would...(joke) :default_biggrin: