Salty Bottoms Summer

Guest mariotech

The dates for the Summer cruise are now confirm as Saturday July 31st through till Sunday 15th August. The destination is St Catherines Dock London with lots of stops en-route ( for Ian to fuel up) We will be spending 3/4 nights in London. If you check the long range forcast you will see 100f has been ordered. If you fancy coming along please add yourself to the list.

Jonathan :Stinky

Jonathan Crackerjack

Ian Senator

Mark Serenity

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, that rules us out as Adam has a wedding booking for the Saturday in the middle of the two weeks. If it had been the original dates, one week earlier, we could have made it :cry:cry:cry

Sorry I am afraid that's down to me as we spend the first week of the summer holidays with land lubber friend in Southwold and don't like to go anywhere until we are fully rested. Ian has managed to move his 2 weeks back a week to accommodate us. We will be heading to Holland next year ( if we return from London :naughty: ) and will try and post dates early.

No probs Johnathan,

not sure if my seamanship would be up for it anyway...and would certainly have put pressure on coastguard services :naughty::naughty::naughty:

lb :pirate :pirate :pirate

Sorry I am afraid that's down to me as we spend the first week of the summer holidays with land lubber friend in Southwold and don't like to go anywhere until we are fully rested. Ian has managed to move his 2 weeks back a week to accommodate us. We will be heading to Holland next year ( if we return from London :naughty: ) and will try and post dates early.

:cry:cry:cry

Mariotech wrote

The dates for the Summer cruise are now confirm as Saturday July 31st through till Sunday 15th August. The destination is St Catherines Dock London with lots of stops en-route

Might see you somewhere off Languard heading.... depends on weather - very East and Moules Frites, or North or South depends on the weather.

There will be a couple of free berths in Shotley if you need them

• 4 weeks later...

With London now only 6 weeks away it is time to start putting some detail to the passage plan.

Thoughts to date are along the lines of minimal stops on the way to St. Kats to ensure that we do make London, given that that is the main destination, and then after 2 or 3 nights at St Kats working our way back up the coast stopping off at as many places as is comfortable.

Hopefully we will be blessed with good weather and calm seas but this is England and it is the North sea so the idea of the 2 week cruise with a loose itinerary is that we have the opportunity to stay put if the weather deems it necessary and miss out a port or two to make back up the time. The overall distance we are covering in 2 weeks is about 300 miles including in and out of rivers so there should not be to much time pressure.

First stop is likely to be around Felixtow then Bradwell then either straight to St Kats or a stop on the Medway somewhere, from there the return is still pretty open so all suggestions both from those coming along and those who have experience of the trip would be very welcome. :Stinky:Stinky

Shotley would be my first stopping off point not because it is our home marina but as it is the most convenient stop off after what with transiting off the Broads will have been a fairly full day, and giving you re access to your route south the next day within around 30 mins.

If you make it down to Shotley then we won't be there.... only because the weather will mean we can get off on our two weeks holiday.

http://www.eastcoastmarinas.co.uk/pdfs/ ... idance.pdf

Any more info on Shotley David or I can assist.

Shotley to London is a very full day do-able but as it is a holiday you may want a stop over particularly if the Outer Thames is a bit snotty - beware the wind over tide... from personal experience!

This leaves you with Chatham (fully serviced marina) as an option but it is a fair run up to or Queenborough (few facilities)or for a authentic experience why not anchor in Stangate Creek very sheltered and the chance of a Seal and a great sunset (well you will be blessed with good weather obviously)

http://www.medwayya.co.uk/images/MYA_Visitor_Charts.pdf

http://mdlmarinas.co.uk/mdl-chatham-mar ... p?ID=52128

Chatham Dockyard is well worth a visit

Required reading heading up the Thames

http://www.pla.co.uk/display_fixedpage. ... recreation

St Kat's is a great berthing point but they are often not overly accommodating locking in so be prepared for a wait (even if you have booked) or consider Limehouse as an alternative, no better 'hotel room' than St Kat's Limehouse is more accommodating IMHO.

http://www.skdocks.co.uk/july-2010/

http://www.skdocks.co.uk/

http://www.bwml.co.uk/marina/11/limehouse+marina/

Have a great time guys and don't forget to take a few snaps.

http://www.chdt.org.uk/Discover

I am so jealous, I would really liked to have put my name down for this but due to various technical issues and a wife who needs some more convincing, I dont think we would be ready in time, but looking forward breaking the duck and to joining the salty bottoms some time soon, have a great and safe time guys cheersbar

Hi Perry, As Jonathan will already be down at Southwold and we will have a boat with us that will be cruising at the same speed as him we will probably drop into Southwold for night one. that puts a bit less pressure on day 2 so it may well be Shotley or Titchmarsh for the second night. Liquid Gold can be found at a reasonable price in Bradwell Marina and this is likely to be night 3 as that will enable me to ensure that I have the fuel to get to St. Kats. from there the question is Straight into London or do we stop off on the Medway to ensure we get the timing right for St. Kats.

Have thought about Limehouse and universally it seems to be better regarded than St. Kats but for a first Visit to the capital it surely has to be St. Kats just to have done it and it is closer to Parliament, which is a must at 30 knots just to show no matter how difficult they make it we are still going to do it. St. Kats has also been chosen for its more central location, two petrol stations right at the gate, right next to Tower tube station, under Tower Bridge and next to the Tower, really epitomizes the London experience.

All the Thames information is very gratefully received and will prove very useful, do you have any experience of Marinas around Southend or alternatively the Medway? If we chose not to stop then it will be a Northern entry from Bradwell but we could be on the Southern route if going via the Medway.

The brief is 40 sea miles max in a day to accommodate the slower boats that will be out for 3 - 4 hours to cover it, if the sea is flat then there may even be some 6 knot stuff for the planing boats to save a bit of fuel and if it cuts up a bit it will still be possible at displacement speed.

Just realised Chatham is on th Medway :oops: Can't do the anchor bit as will have the dog with us.

I had not realised Southwold was your start point.

In that case Bradwell would probably make sense if you have decent weather and can get passed The Wallet and they do have Petrol (or did last year).

You will need to time your arrival to ensure there is enough water I would have said LW + 1.5 minimum based on our experience last year, although the marina claims access at most states of tide..........................

http://www.bradwellmarina.com/

Yes Chatham was on the Medway last time I looked ;)

I had forgotten the need for easy access on and off your ship

There is also Gillingham Marina http://www.gillingham-marina.co.uk/mari ... _chart.asp

Nothing wrong with St Kat's and fully understand your motives and you may well get in with no wait but only right to point it out, forewarned is forearmed and all that.

But I think more to do at Chatham.

Just watch out for Rod in action as you head up the Thames :o

Hi Perry,

Southwold was not originally the start point but Jonathan will already be there and there is a boat with us that is still building confidence, or at least one of the crew is, they run at 12-14 knots the same as Jonathan so we need to pair them up, easier to drop into Southwold and remove timing issues caused by Breydon etc., Lot of miles to cover so need to run with the tide to save precious liquids. cheersbar

I'd love to have an input in this, but with my overwhelming lack of experience I can't add anything to the discussion. I don't want you to think I am leaving all up to you Ian!

I'm getting quite excited about this trip already though!!!!

If you can't get into Bradwell there is always Waterside Marina opposite in Brightlingsea.

Bradwell/Brightlingsea to London is very do able in a day but if you want to break the journey options are really Medway based.

Tidal streams in the outer Thames are worth looking at carefully when passage planning to give the smoothest possibility passage given Wind Over Tide.

Would it be worth getting our heads together with some charts, tide tables, almanac and a beer or two at some point Ian?

Absolutely Mark, the passage plan is at least as important as anything else on the trip and all part of the fun and sense of achievement (providing it works) of arriving at the destination. May I suggest setting aside a couple of hours during the July meet as hopefully all will be there although Jonathan could well be on Conference call. :Stinky:Stinky

That sounds good Ian. I think all those attending the trip should at least have an understanding of the possible routes etc and intended destinations, and the planning itself will be great experience for the likes of your's truely!

Just to give a bit of background that may help, shotley is certainly a better marina than titchmarsh, although doesnt have petrol, however, fox's which isnt far up the orwell has a shell right outside which isnt a problem as they have bloody big barrows there too!!

I wish the trip was a couple of weeks later as I would love to come along, my summer leave starts the weekend you rturn.. May do a 'mini'trip' and meet you on the way back up - could bring the boat down to SHotley the week before then join you for the trip back.... :wave