Salty Bottoms Summer

Guest mariotech

I think I have got my route to London all sorted. :grin:

1Depart onCanal Street(A6008) for 0.26 mile(s), 0.42 km(s)

Depart on Canal Street (A6008)

2Continue ontoCastle Boulevard(A6005) for 0.04 mile(s), 0.06 km(s)

Continue onto Castle Boulevard (A6005)

3Turn left ontoWilford Street(A453) for 1.76 mile(s), 2.83 km(s)

Turn left onto Wilford Street (A453)

4At the roundabout, take the first exit ontoSlip Road for 0.17 mile(s), 0.27 km(s)

At the roundabout, take the first exit onto slip road

5Continue ontoClifton Boulevard(A52) for 0.30 mile(s), 0.48 km(s)

Continue onto Clifton Boulevard (A52)

6Exit ontoClifton Lane(A453) for 1.75 mile(s), 2.82 km(s)

Exit onto Clifton Lane (A453)

7At the roundabout, take the second exit ontoBarton Lane for 6.16 mile(s), 9.91 km(s)

At the roundabout, take the second exit onto Barton Lane

8At the roundabout, take the second exit ontoSlip Road for 0.43 mile(s), 0.69 km(s)

At the roundabout, take the second exit onto slip road

9Continue ontoM1 for 108.34 mile(s), 174.36 km(s)

Continue onto M1

10Exit ontoA406 (J1) for 0.50 mile(s), 0.80 km(s)

Exit onto A406 (J1)

11Exit ontoSlip Road for 0.13 mile(s), 0.21 km(s)

Exit onto Slip Road

12At the roundabout, take the third exit for 0.26 mile(s), 0.42 km(s)

At the roundabout, take the third exit Slip Road

13Exit ontoHendon Way(A41) for 1.37 mile(s), 2.20 km(s)

Exit onto Hendon Way (A41)

14Turn right ontoFinchley Road(A41) for 1.64 mile(s), 2.64 km(s)

Turn right onto Finchley Road (A41)

15Continue ontoAvenue Road(B525) for 0.67 mile(s), 1.08 km(s)

Continue onto Avenue Road (B525)

16Turn right ontoPrince Albert Road(A5205) for 0.38 mile(s), 0.61 km(s)

Turn right onto Prince Albert Road (A5205)

17At the roundabout, take the first exit ontoPark Road(A41) for 0.58 mile(s), 0.93 km(s)

At the roundabout, take the first exit onto Park Road (A41)

18Continue ontoAllsop Place for 0.18 mile(s), 0.29 km(s)

Continue onto Allsop Place

19Turn left ontoMarylebone Road(A501) for 0.34 mile(s), 0.55 km(s)

Turn left onto Marylebone Road (A501)

20Turn right ontoPark Crescent(A4201) for 0.10 mile(s), 0.16 km(s)

Turn right onto Park Crescent (A4201)

21Turn right ontoPortland Place(A4201) for 1.12 mile(s), 1.80 km(s)

Turn right onto Portland Place (A4201)

Congestion charge zone

22Continue ontoCoventry Street(A4201) for 0.05 mile(s), 0.08 km(s)

Continue onto Coventry Street (A4201)

Congestion charge zone

23Bear right ontoHaymarket(A4) for 0.39 mile(s), 0.63 km(s)

Bear right onto Haymarket (A4)

Congestion charge zone

24At the roundabout, take the second exit ontoCharing Cross(A400) for 0.13 mile(s), 0.21 km(s)

At the roundabout, take the second exit onto Charing Cross (A400)

Congestion charge zone

25Turn right ontoGreat Scotland Yard for 0.12 mile(s), 0.19 km(s)

Turn right onto Great Scotland Yard

Congestion charge zone

26Turn right ontoWhitehall(A3212) for 0.02 mile(s), 0.03 km(s)

Turn right onto Whitehall (A3212)

Congestion charge zone

27Arrive at your destination

Arrive at your destination Whitehall (A3212)

Congestion charge zone

:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I will make it on one engine. So I guess it all hinges on what I find next week. Still waiting to find availability of head gaskets etc. On the plus side I have next week and the following free at the moment so I do have time. I want to try and get it sorted but also would like it trialled as well so am aiming for the WRC meet as a test ( knowing my luck the bridge will be fixed :grin: ) If its not sorted by then it will probably be too late. As I say will know better on Monday when I can get to the boat and run some tests although my gut feeling is that at least a head gasket has gone so am already sourcing parts.

Fingers crossed

Jonathan

Sorry to hear your news Jonathon, hope the news is better than you think.

I sympathise; I had a helm pump go a couple of weeks before our holiday last year compounded by the fact the replacement had to come from Turkey and they did not make the same model which was also a slightly different shape. Why do you get these issues when you are against a deadline.

As you say fingers firmly crossed.

Been reading about the trip to St Kats with great interest...great trip to do and like the way that it is being organised!!

We're at WRC boats name is "Move On" - we're Gary & Liz - I think one or two members might recognise us?

We''d be seriously interested in joining the trip if poss???

but ..we have 4 legged canine crew members so would need to be sure we could get them off for exercise etc during the journey.

Have Coastal & Cevni quals. Also have some sea miles experience.( Not experts but hopefully self managed weather ,wind etc willing )

p.s I'm Mrs Cranky40 chief washer upper and rope holder so please don't ask me anything technical :)

Hi Cranky,

Sorry missed your slow hello post, was possibly even slower, welcome to the forum

Don't worry about the K9 we have a King Charles so have the same issues.

Have noticed Move on on the river bank but obviously didn't pay much attention :mrgreen::mrgreen: very very nice boat.

Will you be around for the forum meet at the WRC July, if so there will be a bit of a passage planning meeting for those on the trip, keeping us out of the bar for an hour or so and it gives everyone a chance to welcome another Salty Bottom. (probably the biggest cruising non club on the Broads) :grin:

Ian

Hi Cranky,

Sorry missed your slow hello post, was possibly even slower, welcome to the forum

Don't worry about the K9 we have a King Charles so have the same issues.

Have noticed Move on on the river bank but obviously didn't pay much attention :mrgreen::mrgreen: very very nice boat.

Will you be around for the forum meet at the WRC July, if so there will be a bit of a passage planning meeting for those on the trip, keeping us out of the bar for an hour or so and it gives everyone a chance to welcome another Salty Bottom. (probably the biggest cruising non club on the Broads) :grin:

Ian

Hi and thanks

We will be about weekend of the meet and welcome the opportunity to introduce ourselves to "probably the biggest cruising non club on the broads" :lol:

Will now re read all the above info and probably if ok post up a couple of questions later.

thanks again!!

The itinerary is starting to shape up now and looks to run.

Saturday July 31st, Leave Broads for Southwold where Saturday Night will be spent

Sunday August 1st, Southwold to Titchmarsh on the Walton Backwaters spending Sunday and Monday Night

Tuesday August 3rd Titchmarsh to Bradwell spending tuesday night

Wednesday August 4th, Bradwell to Gillingham on the Medway

Thursday August 5th, Gillingham to St. Kats for a late lock around 8.15pm, not ideal as it will be 1 1/2 hours before high water but the lock closes at 8.30pm. there will still be a bit of flow across the entrance but as the lock opens another hour or so before, I hope it will not cause too many problems.

Sunday August 8th, St. Kats to Chatham Marina on the Medway.

Monday August 9th, Chatham to Brighlingsea on the Blackwater.

Tuesday August 10th Brightlingsea to City Docks Ipswich

Wednesday August 11th Ipswich to Woodbridge on the Deben,

Thursday August 12th back to the Broads.

The dates are a bit crushed at the moment intentionally to give the oppertunity to move them around for the weather but the intention is to be in St. Kats for the Thursday Friday and Saturday Nights.

We have the option to pull into Shotley for the night on the way down rather than Titchmarsh for 2 nights, this would get us to London a day earlier if the weather looks like it will require it, on the way back we have the chance to extend stays as long as the weather is ok or cut a stop if we get stuck somewhere. :Stinky:Stinky

The itinerary is starting to shape up now and looks to run.

Saturday July 31st, Leave Broads for Southwold where Saturday Night will be spent

Sunday August 1st, Southwold to Titchmarsh on the Walton Backwaters spending Sunday and Monday Night

Wednesday August 4th, Bradwell to Gillingham on the Medway

Thursday August 5th, Gillingham to St. Kats for a late lock around 8.15pm, not ideal as it will be 1 1/2 hours before high water but the lock closes at 8.30pm. there will still be a bit of flow across the entrance but as the lock opens another hour or so before, I hope it will not cause too many problems.

Monday August 9th, Chatham to Brighlingsea on the Blackwater.

Tuesday August 10th Brightlingsea to City Docks Ipswich

Wednesday August 11th Ipswich to Woodbridge on the Deben,

Thursday August 12th back to the Broads.

The dates are a bit crushed at the moment intentionally to give the oppertunity to move them around for the weather but the intention is to be in St. Kats for the Thursday Friday and Saturday Nights.

We have the option to pull into Shotley for the night on the way down rather than Titchmarsh for 2 nights, this would get us to London a day earlier if the weather looks like it will require it, on the way back we have the chance to extend stays as long as the weather is ok or cut a stop if we get stuck somewhere. :Stinky:Stinky

Sounds quite Boring to me.. :liar:liar

The only days that we are likely to know where we are David are Thursday to Sunday, the rest has been left to run long, short or not at all.

Need to make Bradwell as that gives me 100 mile safe range to get to St. Kats the rest will be as changeable as the weather. :Stinky:Stinky

Just pullin' yer plonker Ian, one serious point though, remember there willl be more Dutch around the southern North Sea that in Holland during that time so a lot of places fill up quite quickly.

Hi Rod,

Hopefully everyone attending will also be at WRC for the meet and a passage planning meeting, so your offer could not be more timely, but for two of us it looks like it will be weather dependant unless a mini miracle happens.

Sure bribes would willingly also be paid for your professional input into what us part timers are planning to do, these would more than likely be in the form of liquid showing a coloured appearance when sighted through a clear Glass.

If I am not at WRC then I should be at Reedham getting the ship ready for the voyage.

Ok guys, numpty question coming up....

What charts would you recommend I have for the forthcoming adventure? I currently have and older copy of Imray C28, a very old copy of C1, and the Admiralty Leisure Folio for the East coast from Orford Ness to Whitby.

We are now all booked in at MDL marina in Chatham for the 8th and 9th. We have been allocated the events pontoon as The Salty Bottoms cruising Non Club and qualified for a 10% discount and free electric.

Mark Sorry for the non reply I have used Imray Y and C series charts, will confirm the numbers when I get home but Y 16 17 and 18 were in there along with C1 and 2. Have to admit Y18 is 1993 with no corrections so probably a bit out of date and do not have C2 instead used PLA guide to look at the Thames and an Old Thames sea reach chart to get the idea. the Thames still needs buttoning down once inside the estuary and the Medway could be a bit bumpy in places and I am not talking about the sea. :naughty::naughty:

Has anyone used the Imray 2000 series chart portfolios? are they any good or is it better to stay with Y series. could really do with updating my charts before the trip and was thinking of the Imray 2000 for the Suffolk and Essex coast and rivers.

We have the Suffolk and Essex coast pack Ian, it is quite comprehensive and the rivers and detailed coastal charts are to a nicely usable scale. the transparent folder is quite good quality and it is handy if you want to put the charts in the order you will use them. Ours got a bit wet last week even inside the case but that's another story, they have stood up well but obviously they are not as good as the true water resistant charts.

Spot the difference,

Wednesday August 4th, Bradwell to Gillingham on the Medway for Wednesday Night

Fiday 6th August St. Kats

Saturday 7th August St. Kats

Monday August 9th Chatham Marina

Tuesday August 10th, Chatham to Brighlingsea on the Blackwater.

Wednesday August 11th Brightlingsea to City Docks Ipswich

Thursday August 12th Ipswich to Woodbridge on the Deben,

Friday August 13th back to the Broads.

Obviously it really is tight on time and even with running back to the Broads on Saturday it only gives one extra day to add and that is without the weather playing a part. Now I have it on good authority that temps will be in the 90's and the maximum wind speed over the 2 weeks is 4 knots (should also stop those Dutch sailors stealing out berths) unfortunately there will be rain between 2 and 3 am on 3 nights (still to be decided which) but you can't have everything. :grin:

Of the stops we have St. Kats, Gillingham and Chatham (at least for one night) are essential. I have now found that I can get petrol at Chatham so Bradwell can be cut in necessary but the fuel there is 20p a litre cheaper than Chatham and I will need to take on about 500 Litres :o

Which are the stops that people would like to see cut first should my contact get the sack prior to sorting the weather?

We have the Suffolk and Essex coast pack Ian, it is quite comprehensive and the rivers and detailed coastal charts are to a nicely usable scale. the transparent folder is quite good quality and it is handy if you want to put the charts in the order you will use them. Ours got a bit wet last week even inside the case but that's another story, they have stood up well but obviously they are not as good as the true water resistant charts.

Are yours Imray or Admiralty David?