Restoration Of Judith

12 hours ago, PeteBelham said:

It's certainly been a busy week, new bildge pump, water pump electrics repaired and sanding. Judith has kept me busy all week with various issues. It was a good job I was down this week as she would have been at the bottom of the Thurne is I hadn't. Two bildge pumps it is from now can't have one fail again! We have been out for a few days making sure all her new planks etc are holding and everything works, it did and the engine is now perfect thanks to Alan at Martham and lots of new bits! So much more power and economy. All was going well until the water pump stopped for the domestic water. I thought this would mean a trip to Brain Wards but it was just the wiring so that was lucky as wasn't as expensive as a new pump. Speaking of luck I asked about colour matching varnish last week, well after some investigative works I've discovered that she won't need colour matching, all she needs is all the old varnish and stain removing back to bare wood then varnishing as she's mahogney all over! So I've decided that's a shed job this winter!!. Just attached a photo of us at Horsey IMG_20200803_162445.jpeg

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

"Two bilge pumps" that's got me thinking now(not before time), is this common practice for private boats? How do you stop them both coming on at once?

8 minutes ago, SteveP said:

"Two bilge pumps" that's got me thinking now(not before time), is this common practice for private boats? How do you stop them both coming on at once?

On Royal Tudor they are connected to flotation switches and each pump is positioned in a different section of the bilge. The shape of the bilge means one pump is higher than the other so there has to be a lot of water in the bilge for them both to turn on. Each pump is also independently switched at the helm and each pump can be individually switched between automatic and manual pumping.

We also carry a good old fashioned stirrup pump and a bucket should modern tekelknowledgy start playing silly B's!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Timbo said:

On Royal Tudor they are connected to flotation switches and each pump is positioned in a different section of the bilge. The shape of the bilge means one pump is higher than the other so there has to be a lot of water in the bilge for them both to turn on. Each pump is also independently switched at the helm and each pump can be individually switched between automatic and manual pumping.

We also carry a good old fashioned stirrup pump and a bucket should modern tekelknowledgy start playing silly B's!

Thanks very much for that Timbo, very informative, that's definitely a plan.

Steve

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

It is with a very heavy heart and a tear in my eye that I have to announce that we will be putting Judith up for sale. With myself having a young family and living in Coventry along with my mum not getting any younger the demands of keeping on top of Judith's maintenance has got to us both. She hasn't had the easiest of times and we are still fighting against many years of her being in the shed and covid hasn't help the situation. This year we are working with Martham Boats to get her back in the water and then we will be looking for a new custodian to take on her care and further restoration. This boat means the world to us but we have to admit that we cannot give her what she needs. If anyone on the forum thinks they can take her on and give her the future she deserves let me know. We will continue to work on her and get her ready for this season. 

• Sad 2

18 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Sorry to hear this Pete, must be heart breaking for you  :default_sad:

However, have you seen the 'Broad Ambition' share sale ?   :default_norty:

Griff

It is heart breaking Griff but at the same time I'm glad we got her back in the water again. We'll make sure she goes to someone who will keep her going for years to come. 

I have seen the Broad Ambition share for sale, its definitely something to consider. Nothing is off the table yet as we will be buying something, just don't know what yet. Need to see Judith go to a good home first. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well this is the final Judith update. She's been sold and will be off to the Thames on Wednesday. I was lucky enough to be able to get a final cruise on her this week. In typical Judith style it was an eventful week, she managed to disconnect her drive shaft couplings as I was mid river trying to back her in to Marthams dyke the day before her survey. We drifted very gracefully in to the side on moorings thanks to the tide and the wind being helpful for a change. Martham Boats quickly reattached everything and made some new bolts so that was an easy fix in the end. Today her new owners have taken he out and have had the full handover. Now the search begins for the next boat. I'll update you once we've purchased the next one. 

IMG_20210831_183437.jpg

• Like 6