Car Is Packed...

Bexs

We stayed at Coltishall overnight. Such a peaceful spot and it was a lovely sunny evening. We almost had the place to ourselves.

Woke up to another beautiful sunny morning, played with the our dog on the green for a while. Then set off to mosey back to Wroxham.

We haven’t been up to Coltishall in a few years, we are glad we made the effort again, as it is one of the most breathtakingly beautiful cruises when it’s sunny.

We stoped at Wroxham to stock up on yet more supplies (alcohol) at Roy’s and to buy BBQ meat from the butchers next to the public moorings.

Once the pilot had taken us through the bridge, we cruised down to Salhouse and moored up for a glorious afternoon and evening. It is a perfect location for children, parents and the dog!

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 3

The cruise up (and back) to Coltishall certainly is stunning in the sunshine. I think another visit in August will be in order for us. 

Always happy to see the booze and BBQ supplies being sought after, and you are correct Salhouse in the sunshine is wonderful, especially after a visit to The Fur and Feather Inn :default_biggrin:

Good stuff

Tuesday morning dawned and turned to another sunny day.

My husband took the children and Dog for another explore around Salhouse whilst I read my book.

Salhouse may well be our favourite location on the broads. We normally stop there once or twice in a holiday. But I was itching to get going because our destination for that nights meal was the Lion in at Thurne Mouth.

We love the White Horse at Neatishead, and we stoped at the Lion just as it opened last year. But they weren’t yet serving food. So we had been looking forward to returning for 12 months!

Cruised down and moored in the dyke without a hitch. We were on the Lions moorings, which also happened to be on the windward bank. It was pretty windy and the forecast was for it to increase overnight, giving me slight trepidation for leaving in the morning.

Took the children to the play park for a couple of hours and booked our table ready for that evening.

Well we weren’t disappointed, the food, atmosphere & Gin were fantastic!!!

• Like 4

Still not been to the Lion since all the work had took place. I shall have to remember to fit it in soon. 

I love gin too, just keep it quiet from "the lads" :default_ohmy:

12 hours ago, Jayfire said:

Still not been to the Lion since all the work had took place. I shall have to remember to fit it in soon. 

I love gin too, just keep it quiet from "the lads" :default_ohmy:

You must do the Lion JF :default_beerchug:

One of the few pubs that didn't boot us out early either :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

You must do the Lion JF :default_beerchug:

One of the few pubs that didn't boot us out early either :default_biggrin:

I certainly will do, I'm unsure and a little embarrassed about how I haven't visited it yet since the work took place :default_blush:

Wednesday morning dawned overcast, but the strong wind soon blew the clouds away. Unfortunately for trying to reverse out of Thurne Dyke the wind stayed!

I had watched a big Barnes Brink craft and Broadsman manage to turn around down the bottom of the dyke, but at 42’ with no bow or stern thrusters, i didn’t fancy our chances...

Ended up coming out backwards quite nicely after a slight miscommunication between myself and my husband who was untying us, which lead to us being blown on to the leeward bank.

Cruised to Womack and then came back down The Thurne and up to Ranworth to mud weight and wait for a space on the Staithe.

Haven’t bother with Ranworth for the last few year, and after a bit of unpleasantness probably won’t again for another few years!

• Like 1

We stayed at Ranworth overnight. Put the kids to bed and got take away pizza from the hut in the Pub garden.

Woke up yesterday and it was a glorious morning, even though rain had been predicted.

Our destination for our last evening is always Gays Staith and the White Horse in Neatishead for a meal.

I wanted one last cruise through Horning before heading back up the Ant. So we set off in that direction. When we arrived, there happened to be a 42’ space on the Staithe, I wasn’t going waste the opportunity!!

Spent a gloriously sunny morning and lunchtime in Horning, husband and kids at the park, so the boat to myself. Sat and just drank in the lovely surroundings of Horning and the river on a stunning day. Utter bliss!

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Bexs said:

Sat and just drank in the lovely surroundings of Horning and the river on a stunning day. Utter bliss!

I read this as you sat and just drank

I shouldn't judge people by my own standards :default_biggrin:

45 minutes ago, Jayfire said:
I read this as you sat and just drank
I shouldn't judge people by my own standards :default_biggrin:

I would have loved to, and normally would!

I did pop to the shop to buy some Rose and two more pork & chutney pies from The Galley for the journey back up the Ant... but I was keenly aware I would need all my senses full functioning for the enviable reverse down Neatishead Staithe!!!

We spent our final afternoon cruising from Horning to Neatishead. We normally moor at Gays Staithe and walk to the White Horse in Neatishead for our final meal of the holiday.

This was the first year we hadn’t brought the push chair with us, as we had been making our youngest (who is two and a half) walk further, and be carried on my husbands shoulders if he needed a rest. The road from Gays Staithe can be scary, and is a long way for little legs, so Neatishead Staithe was suggested, rather than having a stressful last night.

We hadn’t planned to stop in Horning, so now we were running late and I knew we might find the moorings full. Plus, did I really want to turn and reverse all ‘thruster less’ 42 foot of Classic Gem into Neatishead???????!!!! But on the other hand, maybe everyone else had chickened out too, and there would be more chance of getting a space there that at Gays Staithe...

We got to the turning for Gays, popped in for a look, and yes there were two spaces left. Ummmm what to do, grab one or continue up to Neatishead.

I decided for a happy family, it would be better to be closer to the pub. So I pulled up my ‘brave pants’ turned around and continued up to Neatishead.

• Like 7

My husband has never been all the way up the to Neatishead before, and I was dearly hoping there would be a space (especially haven’t left to free morning at Gays, which undoubtedly would soon be taken).

Last time I had moored there I was in the yacht Zoe from Marthams, so this was going to be a completely different kettle of fish... I wished Classic Gem was articulated for the bends, as we diagonally blocked them!! Each time holding our breath for nothing to come the other way.

We met one boat coming back, which lead us to get to know a rhododendron bush rather well.. we asked them if there was a space.. they said yes but impossible to get to, so we should turn around now! Well that wasn’t exactly possible...

We arrived (with some extra foliage from the bushes) and YES there was one space left, AND it was big enough for us, shame it was all the way down where the moorings start.

Well we did it, with out touching/brushing another boat, and I got a round of applause from everyone moored there for my efforts!!

I felt very proud of myself, I don’t mind saying!!!!

• Like 7

I love reversing at Neatishead. It's a great place to do it because it's so sheltered so there's no wind or tidal flow to worry about. As you discovered, dead slow and tiny throttle bursts to correct yourself and its no problem at all. 

• Like 2

Well done Bex, but just one question......how did you fit a family on Zoe:default_blink: Or was that just a long while ago? :594c04f0e761f_default_AnimatedGifVehiclessaily:She is a charming little boat isn't she?

Ahhh the last time we were on Zoe was our honeymoon....

• Thanks 1

I love reversing at Neatishead. It's a great place to do it because it's so sheltered so there's no wind or tidal flow to worry about. As you discovered, dead slow and tiny throttle bursts to correct yourself and its no problem at all. 

Yes the conditions made it quite simple, not sure I could guarantee doing such a good job again though!

• Like 1

I used to have to move people boats around marinas and conduct sea trials as part of my job, before I stopped work and had children.

So I tend to put too much pressure on myself and want perfection every time. Boats never do what you expect all the time....

• Like 3