Planning Alert Oulton Broad

I am assuming the land owned by Tingdene extends out into the broad and it looks like they are pushing out as far as they can with this this new development. Of course the planners may push them back but what they will be counting on in their favour is the plans submitted leave the bankside habitat behind the new pontoons undisturbed

Like it or not, we have to face change and if you are going to expand any facility, surely it is best to tack it on to an existing facility, rather than expect planners to give approval to a whole new one!

It is a part of the Broad also that most do not really go to - most of the traffic is straight down the middle, well away from this. Despite going to Oulton many many times, I don't think I have ever been up there - I usually weight outside the nice houses in North Bay!!

3 minutes ago, 40something said:

I am assuming the land owned by Tingdene extends out into the broad and it looks like they are pushing out as far as they can with this this new development. Of course the planners may push them back but what they will be counting on in their favour is the plans submitted leave the bankside habitat behind the new pontoons undisturbed

Agreed that the bankside habitat is undisturbed, at least on paper, but I suggest that it will pretty soon become devoid of wildlife and inevitably lost as detritus accumulates between the pontoons and the reedbed. That aside it will be lost from view, urban creep, it has to stop, surely.

6 minutes ago, marshman said:

Like it or not, we have to face change and if you are going to expand any facility, surely it is best to tack it on to an existing facility, rather than expect planners to give approval to a whole new one!

It is a part of the Broad also that most do not really go to - most of the traffic is straight down the middle, well away from this. Despite going to Oulton many many times, I don't think I have ever been up there - I usually weight outside the nice houses in North Bay!!

Sailing boats don't go straight down the middle, nor do motor boats when the speedboats are out. 

Re mud weighters in the North Bay, maybe I should prime my cannon!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, marshman said:

I usually weight outside the nice houses in North Bay!!

I have done that a few times, not sure how far the riparian rights for those properties extend out though?

12 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Agreed that the bankside habitat is undisturbed, at least on paper, but I suggest that it will pretty soon become devoid of wildlife and inevitably lost as detritus accumulates between the pontoons and the reedbed. That aside it will be lost from view, urban creep, it has to stop, surely.

Honestly cant see that happening as Tingdene will have a vested interest in the bank looking nice. Surely this development is better than the concrete monstrosity that is the original marina, I think its fair to say a repeat of that would not be allowed now

11 minutes ago, marshman said:

I use that part every time I am afloat. 

Tingdene's existing moorings are hardly at capacity with a dozen or so berths currently available. I would hope that a need is proven before we lose more navigation.

As far as pump out facility goes, it would seem that the majority of the resident boats on OB can get by without one or there would be a constant trail to WRC. Badger builders are also supposed to be providing such a facility as part their development of Leo Robinson's site as well. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

I

Tingdene's existing moorings are hardly at capacity with a dozen or so berths currently available,

That is because they are not nice moorings, I know I moored there for a season! End on to a concrete quay and boats packed in like sardines with no fingers between them, I wouldn't moor in there again if it was free. These new ones however, would tempt me back to Oulton Broad.

1 hour ago, 40something said:

I would imagine 'phase 2' will involve redeveloping the original marina.

I can see the 'old' then going out as far as the new, awful! The presently vacant moorings may well be the result of the ongoing round of fee increases. 

2 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

The presently vacant moorings may well be the result of the ongoing round of fee increases. 

This I agree with, the current fees are too high for what those moorings are but I think its deliberate as they push the whole site more upmarket. Tingdene didn't buy the business for what it was, they bought it for what they knew it could be with the right investment. They know the market and will have done their research and consulted with the planners before they bought the business. We last stayed there the first year after they bought it and it was obvious it was the end of an era

27 minutes ago, 40something said:

Tingdene didn't buy the business for what it was, they bought it for what they knew it could be with the right investment.

I wish they would put some investment into the assess roads at Brundall - oh and some 32Amp shore power would be handy too.

27 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

I wish they would put some investment into the assess roads at Brundall - oh and some 32Amp shore power would be handy too.

Perhaps we should start a Brundall Bay berth holders association.........

The idea that this site will provide facilities for boaters ie pump out, water etc is most appealing.       WRC's pump out facility is grim at the best of times.      Not sure if Topliner still is a pump out.      Sandersons isnt not always available and it is a right trudge to Goodchilds.     Even more of a trudge to Hippersons.

I mentioned once that a discount would be appreciated if buying 2 tokens at the same time with the intention of pumping out 2 tanks, he nearly went white!

In the end we worked out a system to do 2 tanks within the 8 minutes you got for one token.  That was a few years ago now so maybe the pump isnt as good anymore

It looks to me as if the boat owner has every avenue covered.     Large boat to live on, small boat for trips to the shops and hopefully dispose of his porta potti, gazebo for sitting out on the land (whose land?) wood piled up on the land.      How come he is allowed to stay there? 

2 minutes ago, Hylander said:

It looks to me as if the boat owner has every avenue covered.     Large boat to live on, small boat for trips to the shops and hopefully dispose of his porta potti, gazebo for sitting out on the land (whose land?) wood piled up on the land.      How come he is allowed to stay there? 

Because if they turf him off they make him homeless and have to house him (or so I was told when I asked the same question recently) though I thought it was a different collection of boats on the same mooring.

We used to love overnighting there.