gaskets

i've just ripped my after cabin / bedroom out and realised the rails and cleats have been leaking badly

so they have all been taken off and there was no gaskets on any of them which would explain why they leaked

the boat is GRP and the fittings are stainless steel

what is a good gasket to use thats readily available?

i do have a huge roll of thin rubber in my garage which i used to use on my old cars

but not sure it would make a watertight seal.

any ideas please

No gaskets are used, use Sikaflex, make sure you use the right type of Sikaflex as there are several and they are appropriate to different jobs.

All you need to know is here. http://www.sika.co.uk/uk-home/ind-uk-home/ind-uk-customer/ind-uk-customer-marine/ind-uk-customer-marine-products2.htm but I would use the 291product for that job.

i think you should do something like the live help most sites do lol

if ever i need to know anything i might just pm you to save time lol

But then the rest of us would be robbed of these words of wisdom. :bow

It's much better to post on the main board Steve, that way you will get other, possibly better opinions too. And there's always more than one way of skinning a cat. Also it has the advantage of building up a knowlege base so a search of the forum will often come up with the answer.

Sikaflex is a brilliant product for all manner of marine uses. Good advice from the local suppliers Marine and Industrial Sealanrs, Worstead. They supply and deliver to most of the major boatyards, so you might be able to pick up a tube locally from your yard. It is expensive, but worth every penny. As already avised make sure you get the right Sika product in the right colour. I once bought five, white 201's only to discover after I had squirted a load out of the cartridge gun, that one of the tubes contained black Sika and not white. Grey I did not want. Keep it off your hands and clothes. It does what it says on the tin and sticks like the proverbial to a blanket. You have been warned. A little smeared into the bolt threads works very well.