Gps Speedo

So my old Magellan GPS that I use on the boat has finally stopped working, what are people using for a GPS speedo?, I want a big clear display in and 0.1 mph increments. I want a dedicated piece of kit, not a phone app

19 minutes ago, 40something said:

So my old Magellan GPS that I use on the boat has finally stopped working, what are people using for a GPS speedo?, I want a big clear display in and 0.1 mph increments. I want a dedicated piece of kit, not a phone app

Oh no I use a Magellan GPS unit .

Hire boats seem to mostly use the Wema GPS speedos like this sort of thing..

https://wema.co.uk/collections/gauges-1/products/digital-gps-speedometer?variant=29345614215

More ££ than a handheld, but once fitted it's always there and you don't have to mess about with batteries or having your phone balanced at the helm with the screen constantly on.

Hi 40 I use a Garmin 52 this is a stand alone the airial is a little dome not much bigger than a shoe polish tin this is was the cheapest way  i  could find it has a man overboard button plus other features  the unit on the dash is about 6 inches square.John

44 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

this is what I am looking at myself for Trixie for just over £30.00

Same unit if you are willing to wait for it to arrive from China (15-30 days usually) £16.30

https://goo.gl/amVLgn

Great site to deal with always good stuff (Most of it's made there anyway)

By the way, I know this does not record in increments of 0.1of a mile per hour,  but or me I never worried too much about that, yes you could be doing just under 5MPH and it would say you are still doing 4MPH but you'd know by the difference in wash and having something is better than nothing at all in my view.

Thanks for the suggestions all, I did take along an old tomtom last visit which gives me speed in 1mph increments (and shows you where you are on the river quite nicely) but I have got used to an accurate SOG. I take the point about features I wont need, for hitchhikers etc but I have just seen this:

https://www.force4.co.uk/garmin-striker-4-chirp-fishfinder-with-gps.html?sqr=fishfinder gps

Its a colour screen fishfinder GPS so will give me speed, water depth, plus other stuff like water temp and battery voltage and the screen can be fully customised as to what info you want displayed. Seems good value for what you get

1 hour ago, 40something said:

Thanks for the suggestions all, I did take along an old tomtom last visit which gives me speed in 1mph increments (and shows you where you are on the river quite nicely) but I have got used to an accurate SOG. I take the point about features I wont need, for hitchhikers etc but I have just seen this:

https://www.force4.co.uk/garmin-striker-4-chirp-fishfinder-with-gps.html?sqr=fishfinder gps

Its a colour screen fishfinder GPS so will give me speed, water depth, plus other stuff like water temp and battery voltage and the screen can be fully customised as to what info you want displayed. Seems good value for what you get

A tom tom on a boat isn't a barmy as it sounds its actually very helpful at night and in fog , just don't get too near the bank as it will put you on the nearest road , that said very useful for night hops :default_beerchug:

Tomtom works for us over the years I've added wild mooring, water points etc so twice a years use is better that sat in the draw as it's no good for the road now.

This time we didn't have a 12v on the helm so used a gps app on push bike display (smaller mph range) and it also maps your route and saves it. I did mail the onwer to see if he could do a lower range for boat use and he said he'll note for next update.

I'm with Siddy and Ricardo , we use an old Garmin Nuvi. It gives speed to 0.1 mph , has moorings and positions of bridge height boards. At the end of the day you can pull up time moving, distance traveled and average speed - very useful. ETA- with 'remember track' on its a lifesaver when Barton and the upper Ant is fogbound.