Westward 38

Betty1

I prefer the lines of the Sedan version myself.  The centre cockpit is obviously more suited to the broads and allows for more accomodation but the sliding roof windows have always looked out of proportion and when you look at interior shots it looks like the interior floor is quite low making the port/stb windows look quite high above the seating.  

• Like 1

I've always liked the sedan version, they have quite a presence I feel. They have an unusually large sliding roof which I really like. They never really caught on as a Broads cruiser though with never many on hire. They were popular on the Thames where initially Maidboats then later Richardsons New Horizon had several. 

• Like 1

Many, Many years ago my late wife and I hired Tamar Bridge. We had two dislikes. The hull is very high sided, probably fine now but I am going back to before the headings were raised at How Hill, Fleet Dyke and other places making getting ashore to moor difficult.  On the sedan you are sitting in a gold fish bowl when stern moored, causing us to pull the curtains as folk stood and gazed at us eating, almost like a drive-in at Womack one evening.

57 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Many, Many years ago my late wife and I hired Tamar Bridge. We had two dislikes. The hull is very high sided, probably fine now but I am going back to before the headings were raised at How Hill, Fleet Dyke and other places making getting ashore to moor difficult.  On the sedan you are sitting in a gold fish bowl when stern moored, causing us to pull the curtains as folk stood and gazed at us eating, almost like a drive-in at Womack one evening.

Ah Tamar Bridge, still on hire until a couple of years ago. I get the goldfish bowl thing having hired Broadland Wave twice (Westward 31). Isn't that the case with most sedans though?