Brinks Jazz 14th May - New Direction

Monday 14th May

This is a tale of my 4 night hire of Brinks Jazz(4) as a solo sailor, which commenced Monday 14th May. I need to preface the account as to how I came to be hiring solo. My wife and I have been holidaying at least once a year on the Broads since 1973 and it's always special for us. Last July I lost her which has turned my life upside down. We were due on Silver Symphony on the 16th June last year. The day before she developed abdominal pains and needed an emergency operation which took place on the 16th. She was recovering slowly but eventually contracted hospital acquired pneumonia, and being so weak following the operation was not able to fight it off. The months since then have been hard but thinking of what's left for me, and taking a little inspiration from ChrisB and others on here, I called Silverline and they agreed to let me solo hire Symphony for a week on the 22nd June. This is still the plan. 

A few weeks ago I came across a price for Brinks Jazz which worked out at £365 for the 4 nights including fuel and damage waiver for the 14th May. It had been heavily discounted. I had always wanted to experience a dual steer cruiser to get that "upper deck" view. But as Doreen could not swim, I did not like the idea of her clambering on the outside decks to get to and from the driving position so we always hired forward drive cruisers. I agonised over how I would feel without Doreen but eventually decided to take the chance that it would be OK. After all it is only a month or so before the Symphony holiday and I was going to have to face it then. So I booked Jazz 4 and decided as it was only a short break I would travel down from Leeds by train. We used to travel by train many years ago so this would be a change and avoid me making the 4.5 hour drive down twice in the space of 5 weeks. Interestingly I found that the first class fare was just £1 more expensive than standard class. So first class between Leeds and Peterborough with plated breakfast and coffee at my seat, then standard class from Peterborough as there is no first class accommodation from thereon.

I arrived at Wroxham station at around 1pm and took a slow walk down to Barnes as I thought I was very early for takeover. By 1.15pm I was in Barnes reception and surprised to find that Jazz was ready for me. Stepping on was mixture of curiosity and sadness but not overwhelmingly so. I unpacked then went back to reception to obtain my life jacket, which was one of the self-inflating types. We have our own at home but clearly it was not an option to bring it on the train - unless I wore it to travel in! It would have been redundant anyway unless someone left the toilet taps running. I was surprised also to learn that the life jacket was not fitted with the auto-inflate mechanism when it gets wet. You have to pull a cord which is less than desirable in certain circumstances. Within minutes the handover chap was at the door to talk me through everything. At around  the  same time my grocery order I made through Asda was delivered - perfect timing. On learning I was a regular cruiser, the Barnes chap proceeded to inch me out of the little bay that lies just under their Sail Loft. Jazz was the second in of 5 boats going out that day and it takes two people to squeeze the boats out and around other bows. It reminded me of pushing one of those frozen ice lollies out of its wrapping. 

I did not want to set off for my destination that day (Horning) as early as I was hoping to moor outside Ferry Marina when their takeover boats had departed. So the chap placed me on the outside - riverside - so I could go as I please. At around 2.30pm I departed the moorings using the "flying bridge". It would prove the easiest vantage point to see myself in and out of mooring spaces. That first manoeuvre went well so it instilled me with confidence. You have to consider that this was my first time sailing solo and initially I found it un-nerving. A slow cruise down through Horning brought me to the moorings I was aiming for at Ferry. One boat had just pulled out - obviously still under tuition - which left two spaces, thankfully together at one end. I reversed the boat in, not without the small drama of having to cope with a strong breeze trying to carry me away. The strong breeze was to be a feature of my time on this trip. Safely tied up, the kettle went on and I sat back and relaxed watching the river traffic go by. 

Later that evening I walked along to the Ferry Inn for a meal and to get off the boat for a while. It seems the Ferry Inn raises different emotions in people but I would always return. It's somewhere Doreen and I returned to each time we were on the Broads. Memories came flooding back but in a nice way. I had the 10oz rump with all the trimmings and it was very nice. I moved nearer the lounge window after the meal and settled into reading my paper and observing the different sets of people before retiring back to the boat. By 11pm I was plum tuckered and retired for the night.

Sorry this is so long. When I started it I imagined it would only be a few lines and some images each day, but I thought it right to "set the scene". Anyway, more tomorrow.

image1.jpg

Norwich Yacht Station - from Norwich train station

image2.jpg

Brinks Jazz 4 is the last boat pointing towards the Sail Loft

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Tuesday 15th June

I awoke on Tuesday morning surprised that I had slept right through. I had set the alarm for 7am as I wanted to be up early for a little project I had set myself as a reason to come on the trip. Last Christmas I bought myself a drone as I quite liked the idea of getting aerial views of the Broads to use on my website. I have been practicing 2 or 3 times a week since then and brought it with me on the holiday. The idea was to launch it and take video and images of the area around the Ferry Inn today. The images below were taken with the drone. The wind was gusting over 20mph which made it less suitable for video as the breeze was buffeting the drone. Still, the weather forecast said the wind would moderate a little through the day but it also forecast 30mph winds for Wednesday and Thursday so I knew today was going to be my only chance to fly the drone. It's battery limits flight time to around 20 minutes but I never go beyond 15 mins for safety. So after having battled the breeze I grounded the drone and returned to Jazz 4 for a cooked breakfast. Now coming by train to Norfolk means you cannot bring your own frying pan. Alarm bells are starting to ring in regular hirers heads now. I decided to fry the eggs first, with plenty of oil to stop them sticking, then replace them with the bacon, sausage and tomatoes. I employed the spatula to remove the eggs only to find they had lost their souls - they were stuck to the pan! The other items went in and it became obvious they too were holding on to the frying pan with vigour. They obviously knew what was coming next. Eventually I won the tug of war and breakfast was served. By 10 am I was ready to move off. The sun was shining but the breeze, which was coming off the North Sea, was biting, so I decided to drive/pilot the boat from the inside position. 

I slipped gracefully away from the mooring - not that difficult when you are stern-moored, and headed down-stream towards Ludham Bridge on the River Ant. This was to be my lunch stop. I was a little conflicted about the best position to drive from - inside or on-top for mooring. As Robin pointed out on his video review, it's easy to just jump ashore from the inside front position. However, as Jazz has no windows in the back at all, the view of what the stern is doing is non-existent so on-top has the better view but is more awkward to get ashore from. So I decided I would moor up at the moorings just past the entrance to the Ant (St Benets?) to change over to the on-top position. This went without a hitch and within minutes I was back out and cruising up the Ant. Ludham Bridge is 8ft 6ins and Jazz needs a headroom of 7ft 10ins so I knew it would get under OK but wondered how I would manage to steer the boat when laid down low enough to be lower than the steering wheel - the highest part topside. So if anyone passed me as I approached the bridge and wondered if I was trying to work out how to sunbathe and drive at the same time - now you know what I was up to. Fortunately, there were no aborted attempts to pass under the bridge as the traffic was relatively light in the opposite direction. Once through, I spied a place to moor just after the bridge on the shops side and carefully approached the bank. Knowing that the wind was from the north and would slow Jazz as she came alongside, I clambered down the back and made for the forward rope so that the wind would not blow me back. I was satisfied that I had managed the mooring well but speculated what it would be like when I returned there the next day in 30mph winds. 

Ludham Bridge was one of the places I thought would look good from the air so after a salad lunch on-board I broke out (seafaring term) the drone (aerial term) and went a little way the other side of the bridge to fly it. The wind was not so gusty so it made for a good flight. The images below are the best of the many I took. You don't realise how many overflow drainage ditches there are either side of the river when cruising along. After a couple of hours break I released the forward rope and let the wind blow the bow out into the river. A quick scramble aboard to the upper helm and I was on my way. I stayed on deck for the rest of the cruise to Stalham where I thought I would moor for the night as there was plenty of room and there would be no dramas with the wind getting up again. Have to say crossing Barton Broad was really cold up top. I kept counting my fingers to see if any had dropped off. I approached Richardsons just as the new sailors were undergoing their trial runs, which was interesting. I chose a mooring stern-on towards the entrance of the first quay - sorry not sure of it's name. After a walk around Stalham high street, I returned to the boat and waited until after 6pm to launch the drone again so I could get some images of the huge area that Richardsons covers. It was to be the last day I could use it on this break. 

After that it was time to make my way back to the high street to dine at the Swan Inn. The fish and chips meal was huge and freshly cooked. Then back to the boat for the rest of the evening. As expected, the wind was getting up throughout the night and was swinging the boat a little. It actually made for a restful sleep!

hubsan_snap_19700101_081552.jpg

Horning overlooking the Ferry Inn

hubsan_snap_19700101_081644.jpg

Horning at athe Ferry Boatyard

hubsan_snap_19700101_081722.jpg

Horning marina behind Ferry Boatyard

hubsan_snap_19700101_081105.jpg

Ludham Bridge looking away from the bridge

hubsan_snap_19700101_081141.jpg

Ludham Bridge Boatyard

hubsan_snap_19700101_081235.jpg

Ludham Bridge looking towards How Hill

hubsan_snap_19700101_080605.jpg

Richardsons Boatayrd

hubsan_snap_19700101_081135.jpg

Richardsons Boatayrd

hubsan_snap_19700101_081443.jpg

Richardsons Boatayrd

• Like 16

Wednesday 16th May

The wind had really got going now with gusts up to 35mph, which I guessed would make it tricky today. My plan for the day was to spend the night at Potter Heigham with another lunchtime stop at Ludham Bridge, for no more reason than that I like the hustle and bustle there. So after another tug of war with the frying pan, I decided it was time to get underway. The gusting wind was chilly so there was going to be no al-fresco driving today. Stationed at the inside helm, I started Jazz up then went to release the stern ropes - we were stern moored so it would be easy to head out. The wind was already pushing the boat out into the channel so I quickly made for the helm and pushed the lever forward. Nothing happened. I checked the lever which switches control from upper to lower helm and rather relieved, realised that I had not returned it to the inside position. However much I tried, it would not move. So in the howling wind I thought I had best go to the upper deck and reverse the boat to the quayside so I could work out what was going on. The upper throttle lever has to be in exactly the right position - not just neutral- to enable the change lever to work. I quickly realised that the only sure way was to try pulling the neutral pin out. If it came out the switch lever would work. So having tamed this foible I went back inside and we (me  and  the boat) were on our way. The wind was very strong across Barton and I was glad I was inside. 

Soon enough, Ludham Bridge came into view. A solo mooring in such strong winds was not going to be easy there. As I approached I considered that it would be easier to moor on the shops side as the wind would blow me in as opposed to the other side where I would have had a job pulling the stern in after having tied the bow up. Yes, the thought that it would be a devil to get out from the mooring again did enter my head but I thought I could deal with that later. So I came alongside and moored up without any calamity. At the same time, two boats had just come under the bridge and were trying to moor on the opposite bank. Both were wrestling with the rear of their boats trying to get them close enough to the bank to tie up. I told you! Well no I didn't but at least I felt smug for a while that I had chosen the right option - for now. Most of that lunch stop was taken up watching and/or helping others getting into and out of moorings on my side of the river, and very exciting it was too. The boat directly in front of me wanted to use the water hoses but would need to moor adjacent to them to get them to reach so I opted to help them get their boat past mine and into the vacant water station mooring. The wind was coming down the river at this point so the forward rope was released so the bow would swing out and the helmsman gently steered his boat around Jazz and we were able to tie it up again before the the wind snatched it. Their water tank duly filled, we repeated the bow out into the wind manoeuvre and they were on their way. Soon after, it became clear that one of the boats on the opposite bank had seen this abundance of drinking water and wanted some for himself. So with some forethought, once she had assisted him getting away from the bank, he dispatched his wife to wait for him next to the hoses so she could grab the ropes. She quickly crossed the bridge and awaited his arrival. He cruised towards her but for whatever reason, perhaps the wind had taken him away, he aborted "the landing" and continued up the river, pursued by three other boats which by now were on his tail. So it was some 15 minutes or so before he could turn his boat and make a second attempt at mooring, which this time was successful.

So it was time to cast off and make for Potter Heigham. I must have been very lucky because at departure time, the wind had dropped. I removed the stern rope expecting the wind to push it out at which point I would run to untie the forward rope then dive inside. However, Jazz just stayed where she was so I stepped aboard and reversed out of the mooring. It all went swimmingly. The cruise to Potter Heigham was uneventful though the wind had found it's way back to me by then. Potter is another mooring where a strong cross wind can play havoc so I was planning how I should tackle my mooring for the night. I wanted to moor on the riverside, but if it got too hairy would opt for the shelter of Herbert Woods marina. Approaching the moorings I could see a good spot not far from the bridge so I turned initially 90 degrees into the space and came alongside. Just as I tied up I saw a man trotting down the path looking at me and wondered what I had done. It turned out he was on a Broadsman moored first to the pilot station and was looking to move it to my space - which as he put it, I had nabbed. There was another larger space a little further away so I asked if he would like me to help him move by catching his ropes. He and his wife were the only two onboard and were elderly. I wondered how they handled such a large boat on their own. The wind was proving challenging for most sailors, but with the aid of his bow thrusters, he turned his boat around then slowly drifted into the vacant space. He thanked me and said he imagined there would be less fuss getting the Ark Royal alongside. I said yes but then a huge lump of metal like that was not going to be blown around in the wind. 

Soon enough it was time to visit that doyen of shopping establishments - Lathams.  One year, we went in just for a look around and came out with a pair of curtains. Seemed a good idea at the time but they never got hung. The last time we visited, Doreen liked those three foot garden gnomes so we got one but it stands in the house not in the garden. She said it was too good for the garden. They still have them on sale today. Doreen always liked rummaging through the "bargains" and the sight of these many and varied items brought back memories and a secret tear to my eye. Having completed the shopping experience I popped into Bridgestones cafe on the way back for a Latte and perhaps a small piece of cake. Well, if you have been in there you will know there is no such thing as a small piece of cake. I can't remember what it was called but it was chocolaty with nuts in and it was delicious. It's a good job there isn't a Bridgestone’s at every mooring or they would have to re-enforce the upper helm! 

Talking of food, I decided to visit Norada (Broads Haven Tavern as was) for my evening meal, but waited until around 7.30pm to make room for it. I wondered what this reincarnation would look like. I have read that a lot of money has been spent on it so far. My initial impression was that with everything being coloured black, including the ceiling, it looked very dark in there. It was also a little cold. The new boss, the chap who used to have a restaurant in Yarmouth, told me the heating was on but it was making little impression with the chilly wind. There were  only a couple of other people in and I hoped his trade would improve through the season. It definitely had a feel of a shake down cruise - open but not everything working at the moment. I ordered an 8oz burger I think it was, with chips. It came within 15 minutes and was of good quality. The owner told me things would be better once the roof terrace was completed, but that there were some planning issues slowing progress. He seemed very enthused and I hope for all us boaters sakes, that he makes a go of it. There were beers and lagers on tap by the way - not just bottled, but not being a big drinker, I could not tell you what was offered. I finished reading my paper and returned back to Jazz for the night, having read the weather forecast which promised a reduction in wind speeds for tomorrow.

image 4.jpg

Potter Heigham from the other side of the bridge

irstead.jpg

Had to get the camera out - Nobody moored at Irstead

LB1.jpg

Ludham Bridge

LB2.jpg

Ludham Bridge

stalham.jpg

• Like 13

Thursday 17th May

Thursday was definitely not as windy as yesterday but  it was still blustery. It was clear I would not be able to fly the drone, which was disappointing as Potter Heigham from the air was one of the spots I had thought would look good on film. So after what was to be my final entanglement with the frying pan, I went for a walk around Herbert Woods boatyard, partly out of curiosity and partly  to find a good launch site for the next time I come - away from people but close enough to the river to get a good sight of the flight path. It struck me that Herbert Woods did not seem to have as many boats available to hire as normal. The whole of the moorings outside the large sheds were out of use as they seemed to be renewing the quay heading. As such, I expected to see hoards of boats on the other side of those large buildings - the side where Waterside Marine sell their boats. There were some there but you could still have fitted around 20 more stern moored beside them. I called in to Lathams for a paper then made my way back to the boat.

My final night was going to be back at the yard in Wroxham as I hoped the wind might drop enough to get some aerial images. As Jazz was already facing away from the bridge, I starting the motor and checking the helm position selector lever was set for topside, untied the back rope and waited for her stern to drift out, which it duly did. I untied the forward rope then clambered onto the upper helm before gently reversing out. It was good to view all the chalets and cottages from on top for a change and although there was still a cool breeze, none of my 10 fingers were feeling as though they would hit the deck any time soon. We soon passed Thurne Dyke and out onto the Bure. It was more bracing now and I was arguing with myself should I stop at Ranworth or South Walsham for lunch. Ranworth would be more interesting but first would I get a mooring and second what sort of a pigs ear I might make of it in this wind and solo. Too risky I thought, so I headed for South Walsham. A suitably sized mooring presented itself and once alongside I scrambled off the deck and secured the rear rope first as the wind was once again trying to push the boat forward into my next door neighbour's stern. Once secure, I went back on the boat and turned the engine off. 

My thoughts turned to lunch as the fresh air had contributed to my increasing appetite. At this time of a holiday duration you are starting to consider the food which will have to be thrown away if it is not eaten before hand back. As such, considering that I still had a back-log of bacon and a surfeit of sausages, I decided to opt for a 4 rasher bacon sandwich on freshly carved bread (making me hungry just typing this). It was accompanied by fresh orange juice (with bits in) from Asda and a selection of chocolate biscuits from their Luxury Collection which so far had avoided being eaten. That was a banquet and a half! 

The next stop was going to be the return to Barnes and would take around 2 hours 15 minutes. I set off, steering from the upper helm at 1.30pm speculating 4pm would be a good time to arrive so as to be sure to get a good mooring at the yard. Once more the method was to just release the rear rope until Jazz pivoted on the front rope then to get on board and reverse out. No sooner had I vacated the space, a Faircraft dual steer gratefully snapped it up. It was interesting that on certain stretches there was no wind but just turn a corner and the gusts would be very strong. I guess I was being protected by the trees. I cruised on up through Horning and at the opening to Wroxham Broad decided to cruise through the Broad rather than stay on the river. The wind was really gusting now and my thought that I could use the wide expanse of water to nip inside for a moment to use the toiletry facilities was swiftly abandoned. So legs crossed I made my way out of the Broad and on towards Wroxham and my home mooring. Barnes moorings came into view and I quite liked the thought of mooring on the outside of the pier so I would get a good view of the passing boats. There seemed to be a suitable gap so I slowly pointed Jazz towards the space - only to be shouted at (not in a bad way) by a man waving his arms at the end of the pier. He was directing me to go inside the little bay, which I have to say I did not like! Anyway, this final manoeuvre turned out to be a triumph. I slowly guided Jazz in and used forward and reverse to glide her alongside another boat a little further down the quay. I tied up and did not like the thought that other boats were likely to arrive and I would end up boxed in like the proverbial sardine can. As it happens, no other boat arrived so I was able to spend the night still with a good view of passing boats and that bridge. The only fly in the ointment was that the wind was blowing the rubbing strake (?) of Jazz on that of the next boat causing a squealing sound not dissimilar to someone scratching their finger nails down a blackboard. (I can see you wincing now). So one of the Brinks staff assisted me by pulling the perpendicular Jazz further along the quay despite of the protestations of the prevailing wind. 

Now settled for the night, I had a walk around the various boatyards before returning to the boat. The wind was still too strong to fly the drone so it would have to stay grounded for the rest of the holiday. By 7pm it was time for food so I visited the Kings Head and selected the Steak Pie, which was one of those individual types, not a portion of a homemade one. I prefer the latter but this pie had plenty to shout out about. It came with a small gravy boat, a tender I suppose. So I asked if I might have more. The lady returned with a gravy boat the size of a Broadsman, which was perfect for me. The rest of the evening entailed reading my paper before returning to the boat and starting the packing-up process. And so to bed! I will finish of the hand back day tomorrow.

horning.jpg

Horning

wroxham1.jpg

Wroxham from the bridge

wroxham2.jpg

Where Jazz lives

wroxham3.jpg

Split personality?

• Like 11

34 minutes ago, KaptinKev said:

I hope it's the Eco friendly stuff?

It is ecover, but the grey water that is on direct discharge from showers and washing up from the hundreds even thousands of boats does need addressing. In still waters like Gays the surface of the water after breakfast is washed up, teeth are cleaned and bodies and hair showered to get rid of sun lotion can be quite disgusting, not to mention the hand washing of clothing. A tiny drop, even if it was Fairey Liquid would not make that much difference.

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

It is ecover, but the grey water that is on direct discharge from showers and washing up from the hundreds even thousands of boats does need addressing. In still waters like Gays the surface of the water after breakfast is washed up, teeth are cleaned and bodies and hair showered to get rid of sun lotion can be quite disgusting, not to mention the hand washing of clothing. A tiny drop, even if it was Fairey Liquid would not make that much difference.

Personally when I am on the Broads I like to treat it with respect. Unfortunately there are the few who have the attitude that as long as they consider that their holiday has made a contribution, they will treat the broads how they wish!

I think maybe it would be best to start another thread on how people treat the Broads and not derail David's holiday tale

Thank you David for the lovely write up, the photos are brilliant too

I am so dreadfully sorry for your loss, my heartfelt condolences and very best wishes to you and your family

Grace

xxx

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Friday 18th May

Ever the optimist, I had set the alarm for 7am in the off chance that the wind might have dropped enough to get the drone up above Wroxham before people had started to show their faces. The wind had calmed to a breeze and I decided it would be worth a try. I am not the sort of person who can just switch into operation as soon as I rise. I needed a cup of tea and in this case, a toasted currant teacake to wake me up. So after consuming this last meal afloat, I stepped ashore with the drone and it's remote control unit. I connected the battery to bring the drone to life then went to switch on the remote only to find it was already on - and the battery was dead. I had been playing around with it yesterday, thinking I could use it as a remote control camera on the front of the boat as I go along and must have forgot to turn it off again. I think someone up there was telling me that's your lot mate for this holiday! I consoled myself that I will have another chance in around 5 weeks time. 

By now, the staff had arrived and the yard was as busy as a suburban train station at rush hour. My journey home started with a departure from Hoveton and Wroxham Station at 13.10hrs (ish) so I was not angling to be the first one out of the boat. I packed away all the items which were left and waited for the fuel tank dip. The office presented me with a £65 fuel refund indicating I had only used £25 over the holiday. So overall the boat had cost just £300. Not bad for 4 nights away. I had asked reception if I could leave my luggage with them to save me carting it all over Wroxham whilst waiting for the train, which they had agreed to. So I set off walking and spent time in Roys, Roys, Roys and Roys. At midday I purchased fish and chips from Ken's and sat at one of the tables overlooking the bridge pilot moorings. Pretty soon I was surrounded by a platoon of pigeons so decided I would fall back to the trenches - sorry benches to eat my meal. Then into McDonalds for a McFlurry. Us Yorkies know how to push the boat out! Soon it was time to return for my luggage and make my way to the train station. The journey home was on time and very pleasant, complete with the sandwich, cake and drink I was entitled to on the first class leg from Peterborough to Leeds. All for £1 more than standard class. 

My views about Brinkcraft and Brinks Jazz 4.

I was apprehensive using such a large yard and imagined I would be waiting an age for someone to come and do the boat instruction etc. This was not the case. The process is very slick and I was on my way both in and out of the boat in no time at all so commendations to them for that. 

Brinks Jazz is let’s face it, at the lower end of Barnes price spectrum so I was not expecting too much. The boat internally is very well thought out. The saloon area is very spacious, with lots of storage room and I liked that it was raised up for a better view of the world going by. The compact kitchen is perfect with everything literally around you. It only had a 2 burner stove and once you put the frying pan (did I mention the frying pan?) on one ring there was not much room for anything else. There was also a microwave so it was always possible to complete a meal one way or another. The shower was a shower! The bathroom was adequate and the bedroom was comfortable. I have to admit to not liking the bedroom door closed as it felt claustrophobic to me. The dual steer arrangement was particularly welcome for me, and I felt quite safe clambering up and down from the upper steering position. Robin mentioned the narrow decks on his video review and they are indeed narrow and there are occasions when you need to walk them. I was very careful and took my time so no mishaps. 

Whereas the internals were spotless and well designed, if there was going to be a reflection of the price I paid, I would say it was the exterior paintwork. It just looked a little tatty in places. The upper deck and parts of the forward well had ground in dirt which you just knew would not have been on any of Barnes Elite boats. I was also surprised that the windows had not been cleaned before I got on, though this may have just been an oversight. I was let out on my own very quickly remember! Overall I would commend the boat to anyone, but not perhaps to those used to Elite boat standards. 

As to my own personal circumstances, I was very apprehensive coming to the Broads on my own, a place Doreen and I had spent many happy times together over the years. Honestly, it was the first class travel, the dual steer boat and the use of the drone which convinced me this was something new and to give it a try. They say that nature has healing qualities and I think the Broads elevated my spirit a little. Anyone who has lost a loved one will tell you the overwhelming longing to be with that person again never goes away. All you can do is try to distract yourself from feeling it all the time.  

Thanks to everyone who read it and for the comments made and the likes. The more I got the longer the story became so you can see it was encouraging. 

I am back again in June so we will see how much use the drone gets then! For now, here are a few more elevated views which I missed out earlier. 

hubsan_snap_19700101_080844.jpg

Stalham looking towards the Museum of the Broads& Staithe

hubsan_snap_19700101_081413.jpg

Ludham Bridge looking out towards the Bure

hubsan_snap_19700101_081652.jpg

Just behind the Ferry Boatyard at Horning

hubsan_snap_19700101_081731.jpg

Horning looking up towards the village centre

• Like 10

I really enjoyed reading this and seeing your photos. I'm glad that the journey home worked out well too. I hope that you will indulge us all again with another tale when you are back. I, for one, will look forward to reading it. :)

Jeff, the drone does provide a different view on things. I am still relatively new at flying it so I am very careful about not having it too close to people as the last thing I want to do is annoy anyone, which is the reason the images are taken from high up. It cost £250,  which for a drone is not that much, but as such it is not as stable in the air as the more expensive ones, so the wind can really affect it. My heart was in my mouth at times!  Having said all that, when I first saw the image results I just wanted to fly it in more places!

Thanks for the write up, David. I like your detailed writing style and your photos. As someone who's hired solo on several occasions but for very different reasons to yourself, I hope this hire has given you confidence for the future. You mentioned the trip lifted your spirits and that's great. I hope it also gave you some solace and helped you remember some good times past. 

• Like 1

Hi David,

I am not really a follower of other folks holiday logs but yours became compulsive reading for me due in no small part to our shared unwanted status that we are powerless to do anything about.

It is now my turn to take inspiration and a leaf from your book as I am going to have a few days away next month. This will be the first time for me since I lost Judith eighteen months ago. Yes,  I have been away quite a bit including nearly five weeks in Australia but only in the company of one or both of my sons.

For my first solo I am going to an area we both liked, not far, just Suffolk. Aldeburgh, Thorpeness, Orford, Shingle Street area. Having a day out on a Thames sailing barge on the Orwell and Stour and if it is not full of coaches Flatford Mill.

I am so pleased that your break was a success and send you heartfelt best wishes for your next one.

• Like 5