Norwich And Swan Roamer

In the morning my wife, Mel and I are driving to Norwich for a two night stay before we board Swan Roamer on Tuesday for four nights. It's Mel's first visit for four years and I'm so pleased she's with me this time. I'm hoping she enjoys it as to be honest boating has never been something she's passionate about but she is looking forward to it.

We picked 2 nights in Norwich first because most of it is unexplored for both of us, save for the Yacht Station and immediate vicinity. We're staying right on the river at Premier Inn, Nelson Street. 

If you spot us on Swan Roamer from Tuesday onwards give us a wave and say hello. 

• Like 10

I've stayed in that hotel and it was very good, it's one that I would definitely go back to. Loved looking round Norwich, the Cathedral is amazing.

Enjoy the trip on Swan Roamer ... I will look forward to hearing how you get on and how you like the boat. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Remember it's half-term week so I'm guessing that it may be busy at the popular moorings.

• Like 2

Have a lovely time Simon and Mel

That's a cracking little boat you've gone for there, I'm sure Mel will love her and hopefully fall in love with the Broads as much as you . It may have it's down side though, you may never be able to solo cruise again :default_biggrin:

Grace

• Like 2

It was hammering with rain when we left home in Cardiff this morning but it didn't last long and it was a straightforward journey. The Yacht Station is quieter than I expected given its a Bank Holiday weekend and the weather is quite nice. Our room overlooks the Wensum but I've seen zero boats pass since we arrived around 3-30.

DSC_0084.JPG

• Like 5

We made the short walk to the Riverside area of bars and restaurants. We chose Wetherspoon for food which was probably a mistake in hindsight. All Wetherspoons are large but this one is absolutely huge and being very busy it ft like a school dining hall. The whole Riverside area was something of a disappointment being rather soleless and devoid of anything that makes the environment attractive. Strangely, restaurants tend to back on to the river rather than make use of the river frontage. We finished up in the Compleat Angler by the Yacht Station which is nothing special but was reasonably quiet and friendly. 

• Like 1

Hi Simon, agree the Riverside area is nothing special. You'd be better heading to the Red Lion or the likes of the Wig and Pen, ribs of Beef etc the Norwich lanes area has some of the best bars restaurants shops etc well worth the walk IMHO 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, VetChugger said:

I used to enjoy a stroll round to the "Adam & Eve" via the cathedral grounds or is it some bish's palace? Is the "Adam & Eve" still there?

Adam and Eve still very much there Trevor. Nice little pub although we tend to also visit the Wig and Pen a bit further on. Highly recommended  :default_beerchug:

It's been lovely weather in Norwich today. We spent most of the day just mooching about, taking in the shopping centre, the market (although most of it was closed), The Lanes and Elm Hill. The Yacht Station is significantly busier this evening with hire boats that have now had time to reach here after a Friday or Saturday start. There's only 3 or 4 spaces left. 

DSC_0088.JPG

DSC_0089.JPG

• Like 5

On 27/05/2018 at 21:55, Broads01 said:

No Peter, it's the one immediately before the Yacht Station on the left, as you arrive by boat.

This is the site of the Great Eastern Hotel, in the heyday of railway travel. The riverside area used to be Boulton and Paul's engineering works, and the locomotive works of the LNER, before that was moved to its present site on the Wensum curve. So it was always an industrial site and seems to have been developed piecemeal, without an overall plan.

Not the most pleasing part of the city but at least you can park your car there to go shopping, unlike the rest of the city centre!

• Like 1

Indeed Vaughan, Prince of Wales Road is particularly shabby, being a mixture of long-closed shop units and night clubs. We had a short walk yesterday evening though to a nicer area towards where The Lanes is. We had a good meal in Prezzo followed by a drink in All Bar One. Norwich seems relaxed and crowd-free for a city on a sunny Bank Holiday in comparison to the cities I'm more used to. 

• Like 1

"Ooh, If you book something like this, I'll come again". That was  Mel's reaction as we boarded Swan Roamer this afternoon. What a boat it is. By a country mile, it's the nicest boat I've ever had. It just oozes quality in the fit out and the attention to detail. I'll do a boat write up after the trip.

We arrived at Richardsons just before 1 and the boat was soon ready. As per usual I couldn't wait to get away. It was a relaxed handover, a quick unpack and we were away about 2-15. The weather was cooler than yesterday but still lovely and Mel was enjoying herself too, feet up on the luxury sofa. We made relaxed progress down a busy Ant. How Hill was almost full as we passed but Ludham Bridge moorings much less so for some reason. We turned right at the bottom of the Ant and opted for Ranworth Island for the night (the lunch time crowd were no doubt filling the Staithe). We had food to cook on the boat tonight so it was ideal. By around 6pm it had filled up here too, just the one gap I think. I'll post some photos at some point when I get a decent signal. 

• Like 4

Glad you are both enjoying it Simon. Yes, got to agree with Jean, Swancraft are a bit special. They didn't cut corners and would go for quality rather than cheaper options. In addition they listened very carefully to what customers wanted and incorporated this into their builds. We've hired Roamer previously in December and it is indeed a lovely boat. If a boat can be snug and cosy in December its got to be good!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NorfolkNog said:

Glad you are both enjoying it Simon. Yes, got to agree with Jean, Swancraft are a bit special. They didn't cut corners and would go for quality rather than cheaper options. In addition they listened very carefully to what customers wanted and incorporated this into their builds. We've hired Roamer previously in December and it is indeed a lovely boat. If a boat can be snug and cosy in December its got to be good!

I wish Lightning was. It was bloody freezing when we were aboard in November 18 months ago. The year before, November was a great month.

Good to see you`re having a great time Simon, and good to know the better half loves your choice of boat.  Brownie points earned or what? lol.

• Like 2

I wish Lightning was. It was bloody freezing when we were aboard in November 18 months ago. The year before, November was a great month.
Good to see you`re having a great time Simon, and good to know the better half loves your choice of boat.  Brownie points earned or what? lol.

Those cold evenings are when the large saloon is a drawback!

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Even though the weather is warm it was windy yesterday evening and I noticed how air tight the saloon seems to be. The sliding canopies have thick draft excluding brushes all the way around and they're fitted so well you feel like you're in a saloon with a fixed roof. It's a huge contrast to the older sliding roof boats where you can feel the wind if you put your hands near the rails and at the top. 

• Like 4