Norwich And Swan Roamer

18 hours ago, Matt said:

Those cold evenings are when the large saloon is a drawback!

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Hi Matt,

Absolutely so, and i think it`s also worth remembering that when Thunder and Lightning, along with the Herbert woods boats, were built, they were  NEVER designed or built with winter cruising in mind. They`re not insulated enough for proper winter cruising, so we have heaters on everywhere, which then creates condensation problems. I know people say open windows, but then you let all your warm air out. Sods law or what?.  I also think Lightnings warm air heating system is not really up to the job, a point which again points to their design for a typical hire season which is usually mid spring to mid autumn cruising.

Today has worked out beautifully well. In common with a few of our neighbours, we made the short run over to Ranworth Staithe to make use of spaces left by overnight boats departing. The view from the top of the church tower is one of my favourite views anywhere, not just the Broads and I enjoyed climbing up there as much as ever. Soon after returning to the boat we were off again, Wroxham bound. The weather was starting to warm and there were plenty of boats around of course. As we reached the end of Ranworth Dam we had to pause a minute or two for a gap in the steady Bure traffic. Is it me or does the Horning Ferry pub look increasingly tatty and uninviting on the outside? They now have a huge 'TF' sign outside which seems unnecessary and incongruous. 

In Wroxham, we'd arranged to meet with Vaughan and Susie who are currently renting one of the cottages opposite the Wroxham Hotel. They kindly provided us with our own private mooring outside their cottage! We spent a very pleasant couple of hours with them sat outside drinking some of their lovely French wine. Also visiting were Jill (of Barnes Brinkcraft fame) and her husband Pete, an old school friend of Vaughan's. I first met Vaughan and Susie at the meet last year and it was great to see them again. Jill and Pete were great company also. 

We said goodbye to all the folks and took the boat over to the pilot moorings. We soon had the pilot aboard and taking us straight through. The height gauge was showing something less than 7 foot so I asked the pilot how much clearance the boat actually needed (as opposed to what Richardsons tell you it needs). "About 6 foot 4, they'll go through all day long" was his surprising reply. We had a lovely sunny chug up to Coltishall. It was nose to tail on Coltishall Common with no space at all but fortunately we were headed for Coltishall Lock. We're there now and we're the only boat. The pubs at Coltishall, being on the bend as they are with the narrow river after give the illusion of being at the limit of navigation. I'm sure many hirers think that's as far as you can go (for many years I thought you could only go a few hundred yards beyond the Rising Sun). It makes the Lock mooring one of the quietest anywhere I think. 

• Like 10

On Monday we met up on the Yare with friends who have hired Swan Regal for the week, I was very impressed with the boat, lovely fit and finish and seemed younger than its 15 years

We took all 43ft of Lightning up to the lock last July. It was a really good trip, and one i`d like to do again, especially as the shop is so close, which means my knackered ankle does`nt get overworked. The only thing we found to be careful of was the weed growth. Keep to mid channel and it`s no problem.  Noice pics Simon, glad you`re having a great time.

• Like 1

Lovely pictures Simon, many thanks for sharing. Roamer still looking good, the main difference is that the saloon used to be carpeted but I guess the solid flooring is easier to keep clean. Like Regal very well fitted out and a lot of thought with the little touches. wondered if Nipper was still moored up at the Lock? It is nice and quiet up there.

• Like 1

I forgot to say, yesterday, as we were sat outside in Wroxham, we witnessed two incidents with hire boats. Firstly, a boat rammed forwards at 90 degrees in to the quay at a fair rate. He might have got away with it, I'm not sure. Secondly, another helmsman managed to reverse into the day boats next to the Wroxham Hotel. The guy running the day boats beckoned for him to come in to moor, which he duely did and a lengthy conversation followed. Vaughan and Susie remarked how entertaining it had been during the week watching what people get up to. 

• Like 1

It's been grey and cool today but no rain and after the continuous deluge I received on my last visit I was very grateful for that. We set off back downstream and by the time we were passing the common just before 10 the boat crowd from yesterday and disappeared bar the single privateer remaining. It was as if they all couldn't wait to reach their next overnight destination. It was a relaxing cruise back to Wroxham where we pulled in at the old Porter and Haylett yard for water. The boat has a water gauge and hence we didn't refill the water tank yesterday because the gauge kept showing as full. However, I had a panic yesterday evening as following Mel taking a bath the gauge had gone straight to empty! Thankfully we didn't actually run out but I'll make sure we top up again tomorrow, whatever the gauge reading. We crossed over to the Hoveton moorings to do a bit of quick shopping and then pick up the pilot. Whilst we waited for the pilot, I spotted a hire boat coming through the bridge without using the pilot. Later, after the pilot had taken us through and he asked me to sign against our boat name on his list, I smiled inside when I saw on the list the name of the boat I'd seen earlier and next to it, in capitals, 'NO PILOT'. Gotcha! I hope they get a firm ticking off.

We thought about mudweighting then at Wroxham Broad or Salhouse but I was concerned it was too windy, hence we stopped for some lunch and a break at Wroxham Island. I noticed how stable the boat is when we were moored there with a fairly constant stream of boats hacking past. We didn't rock around as much as I expected. 

Shortly after setting off again we passed Salhouse Spit at which point we were overtaken by a day boat close on our left. No sooner had they passed than the helmsman made a sudden turn to his right across our bows and forced me to engage reverse rapidly. He aborted his manoeuvre when he realised and I held my hands up in disbelief as he turned to face me. He just looked away and carried on. Grrr! 

Our destination for the night was Thurne, where I write this. Its busy but there are still gaps and we're looking forward to a meal at The Lion which I've read nothing but good things about since it's refit. 

• Like 5

I know all forward steer boats are poor for rearward view, but this one takes the biscuit. From the helm seat you can see less than half of the rear door window. To see beyond our rear starboard corner I have to leave my seat and either lean out of the other side or step on to the fore deck and look back. 

DSC_0119.JPG

Hi Simon

I would agree, visibility isn't great in reverse. I used to stick my head out of the window. of course with us it was mostly in winter when there wasn't much else about! We also usually have Mrs Nog in position on the stern and she can keep an eye on the starboard side if needed.

Having a beer on the Hotel Wroxham terrace is always good to watch the goings on. I think with being half term it must be a bit more manic than usual. Roll on December!!

I see you are moored in Thurne Dyke, do please let us know how you get on in the Lion. Certainly as one who has been known to have the occasional half, I can certainly vouch for the beer :default_beerchug:

Have a good one!

• Like 2

We loved the food and drink at The Lion. I need gluten-free and the menu is clearly marked with the options I can have which always makes life easy. Beer is the only alcohol I can't normally have (lucky I like cider then) except where gluten-free beer is available. I really like gluten-free beer but if a pub has it at all it tends to be in small, over-priced bottles. The Lion, however, sells a very rare commodity, gluten-free beer on tap and two different varieties at that. I had Redwell Steam which was absolutely lovely and to eat I had Haddock, battered in the same beer and superb. The service we received was excellent too. Our only grumble with the pub was we didn't like the decor much. It may just be personal taste but we found it too dark and the lighting insufficient. Also we'd have like to have seen fewer dining tables and more relaxed chairs. We'll definitely go there again though. 

• Like 4

We've had a really good last full day, cruising via Womack then all the way up the Ant to Dilham and finishing up at Wayford Bridge. We intended to top up with water whilst at Womack Staithe but ended up leaving that till later - the boat filling up when we arrived was still doing so when we left almost half an hour later and there was at least one guy who'd been waiting for the hose all that time. The water pressure must have been very poor. We opted to leave water guy still filling up and set off back down Womack and then at the main river turned right to head to the Ant. Fortunately the water hose at Ludham Bridge was available and we made a brief stop there with the intention of taking a longer stop at How Hill. No such luck - it was just after midday and there wasn't a single mooring space to be had. There were wild moorings available further up but we decided we wanted a short walk so we carried on to Paddy's Lane and stopped there. I thought of my dear late father who always used to ask me when I told him about cruising the Ant "Did you do the triangle around Barton Turf?". My dad was always one to spend many cruising hours exploring every length of waterway possible. We had some lunch and then walked around to the village staithe where wherry Hathor had made it after we passed them punting on Barton. We opted to head for Wayford Bridge for the night and booked a table at the Wayford Bridge Hotel. Before that though there was time for a chug to Dilham which I last did with my Dad 5 years ago. Since then I've been frustrated by Wayford Bridge a few times so it was great to pass through today and reach Dilham. It was a tight turn around manoeuvre at Dilham, especially with boats moored at the Staithe and then we reached our night spot at Wayford (above the bridge) . Its a nice change from either trying to squeeze in at Sutton or opt for the boatyard. We're one of 7 Richardsons boats here. 

We enjoyed our meal at the Hotel. They catered for gluten-free very well and the highlight for me was the cheesecake dessert. On leaving the hotel, it was raining for the first time this week, how lucky we've been. 

• Like 7

Sounds wonderful. I haven't made it up to Dilham yet but you have been to two of my favourite places today ... Wayford Bridge Inn where I always find the food to be good, and Paddy's Lane / Barton Turf. 

• Like 1

I felt like a twit last night and this morning. Not long after we moored at Wayford, the warning light for the toilet holding tank came on. I made the big mistake of telling Mel it would be OK when we really should have upped sticks and set off for Richardsons. Of course during the night the toilet became unusable so I learned my lesson there. Hence we set off earlier than planned this morning to return the boat. My next mistake was to return the boat to the wrong quay, doh! We'd departed from Kingfisher on Tuesday and I thought you always returned the boat to the same place. Not so this time, the handover sheet saying 'return to Swan Quay', hence having just reversed in to Kingfisher I was despatched around the corner. 

When the boat was refuelled I got a nice surprise - we'd used a miserly 29 litres. We'd done plenty of cruising hours since Tuesday but a combination of knife-through-butter smooth modern diesel (I don't know what make) and careful throttle had an impact it seems.

Our journey home was straight forward and so another Broads trip came to an end. I'm really pleased to say Mel enjoyed herself a lot, the quality of the boat making a big contribution to that. 

I'm back on 1st September for a week with my mum and daughter aboard Contessa. I do like to keep varying the boat styles, horses for courses and all that.

• Like 7

Hi Simon

Sorry to hear about the holding tank. It really shouldn't be full in 4 days,,  pound to a penny it hadn't been pumped out before you took over. We've hired Roamer and Radiance and the tanks were good for 7 days at least. Swancraft also told us that there was several flushes left after the warning light came on. Seems odd. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Sorry to hear about the holding tank. It really shouldn't be full in 4 days,,  pound to a penny it hadn't been pumped out before you took over. We've hired Roamer and Radiance and the tanks were good for 7 days at least. Swancraft also told us that there was several flushes left after the warning light came on. Seems odd. 

Unfortunately, we found the same thing as Simon when we hired Swan Romance and I mentioned it at the time.

No matter what you "do" in these toilets you have to push the same button, for a full flush sequence every time. This takes what must be several litres of water and what is more, it is fresh water from the tank. That's probably why he was topping up the water tank so often.

These automatic electrics may seem luxurious but you can't beat the good old Jabsco/PAR hand pumped ones for practicality.

In our case, I am afraid this put us off re-hiring what is otherwise a perfect boat.

• Like 2

That's interesting Vaughan. I don't suppose anything has changed since the Swancraft days. I wonder if it's because we spent more time in the pub!!! Water was more scarce in winter too. 

The other thing with those toilets is that it is advisable to use the cheapest pound shop loo roll as they can block quite easily. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

The other thing with those toilets is that it is advisable to use the cheapest pound shop loo roll as they can block quite easily.

The PAR toilet does not block easily but they are also easy to clear. The electric ones do indeed block easily and this is then a major demolition job for a mechanic. "Now where did I put my elbow length rubber gloves?"

They will also block if the water tank runs dry, but the hand pumped ones flush with river water.

• Like 2

Regards the loo , we have taken on Griff's mantra ,  if its yellow let it mellow if its brown flush it down.         Does help a bit with these water guzzling loos.     Totally impractical and would be better if they took river water for a start.   

I guess this is called 'roughing it' as Judith Chalmers said.

• Like 1