Beware The Yare On The 31st May

Islander

Just lifted this from Twitter. Something to see or avoid.

A date for the diary @NorwichNow Next Thursday, 31st. 10 am.200-year-old Carrow Bridge to open for the first time in years to allow old Norwich Sea Cadets boat through on its way to scrap in Great Yarmouth.

Oh, am I allowed to link to Twitter. Thought this was an important navigation issue. This was my first attempt at posting a new topic too so I hope it's in the right place.

Colin :default_winko:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

Or god forbid they open Trowse and cant shut it again, that would be a catastrophy!! 

Not for users of large boats wanting to get closer to Norwich

To be honest I cannot see that happening , for a start network rail have always said the will not open that during the day its too disruptive to the trains to London etc , + I personally know one of the sea scouts that told me the boat is going in June at night and heading to Ipswich to become a floating hotel  , that information is a week old , not only that it requires 3 other bridges lifting one of them is carrow bridge a main route , that bridge is extremely problematic as is the railway bridge , to have this happen in the daytime is totally ludicrous .

Not sure I have read anywhere that Trowse Bridge will open during the day??

As Ricardo says, it will only open at night because of the train scheduling and  I suspect that that will still have to be the case. I guess Carrow Bridge and the others will have to open during the day as the City Council would not want to pay overtime would they???

Aren't  the bridges required to open because of the navigation. It seems ok to shutdown a network for maintenance over a bank holiday but not for a navigation request. Who's going to pay for a tow boat to sit until night to get a bridge opening. 

I see this as the bridges are booked and if it makes a train late from Norwich it won't be the last time. Just get on with the job boys and ignore the clipboard bods.

Colin:default_winko:

p.s. Forgot to add, they've got to get through Reedham too and I would not want to stop this tow without good reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Islander said:

Aren't  the bridges required to open because of the navigation. It seems ok to shutdown a network for maintenance over a bank holiday but not for a navigation request. Who's going to pay for a tow boat to sit until night to get a bridge opening. 

I see this as the bridges are booked and if it makes a train late from Norwich it won't be the last time. Just get on with the job boys and ignore the clipboard bods.

p.s. Forgot to add, they've got to get through Reedham too and I would not want to stop this tow without good reason.

Making the trains lat involves compensation for passengers hence I doubt they will risk it during the day , if it all goes wrong tgesn it will cost network rail , at the end of the day those moving the boat are not liable for bridge failure after its opened , hence opening at night allows them is network rail a margin to get it sorted our before it causes havoc on all the lines heading south , network rail have said for yrs they will not open it during the day , doing so for this sets a standard that all large vessels can achieve exactly ie gained access to Norwich in the day time .

I don't see this as setting a standard at all. This is a one off, well planned in advance and not likely to happen again for some time, unless they decide to tow the abandoned restaurant while it's still afloat. That I think will be chopped up on site until it fits under the bridges.

The cadet boat is the only vessel that needed to be removed before the proposed new 'fixed' rail bridge could be approved. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Islander said:

I don't see this as setting a standard at all. This is a one off, well planned in advance and not likely to happen again for some time, unless they decide to tow the abandoned restaurant while it's still afloat. That I think will be chopped up on site until it fits under the bridges.

The cadet boat is the only vessel that needed to be removed before the proposed new 'fixed' rail bridge could be approved. 

True, especially as network rail need a fixed double track river crossing 

2 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

Has it been agreed they can install a fixed bridge? I thought it would require a law to be changed to do it.

I think they are working on the principal that if you say it enough times it will come true!

2 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

If as part of an agreement Network rail were to fund the building of a new Yacht Station for Norwich somewhere before Trowse I would be prepared not to object! 

And then you woke up and realised that it was all a dream:69_zzz:

9 hours ago, Islander said:

Sorry but that's not the case the Thai boat is also leaving  that also requires all 4 bridges lifting so until that happens the new rail bridge won't be started .

22 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I don't think this will happen during day time.For reasons that have already been said.I am sure it would only happen at night time.Think the next boat to go could  be Thai on the river,which seems to be falling apart.

The Thai boat is defiantly off too , that's the same massive disruption , anyone who's attempted to cross the road at carrow bridge In the morning knows full we'll how busy that road was , not too long ago they were working on it n strangely enough that happened at night ! .

As for a fixed rail bridge I'm positive that would have to be a change in the law .

As for a fixed rail bridge I'm positive that would have to be a change in the law

part of that change would be proving that no large craft would require access above the bridge, and that there were no craft still above the bridge that would be unable to pass the new fixed bridge - surely the removal of one of the last large craft above the bridges is just one step forward to a fixed rail bridge.

I would imagine there are no longer any businesses above the bridges that could possible require a delivery shipped by water.

part of a change in the law would be that navigation above the point they want to install the bridge is no longer required by craft unable to navigate under the new bridge.

• Like 1

This is from June last year.

The Authority has been informed by Network Rail that Trowse bridge has been repaired. It will open given 24 hours notice.

No question of can it open just when.

Colin :default_beerchug:

It's been a long time since there was any 'maritime trade' in and out of the 'Port of Norwich'. I think that maybe the original law, regarding the right of passage through the bridges, probably had trading vessels in mind, rather than pleasure boats. I seem to remember too, that the vast majority of pleasure cruisers & yachts, up until the early eighties (or thereabouts), could quite easily navigate the road & railway bridges below Norwich Yacht Station. Some would have had to lower their windscreen and yachts lower their mast, but passage, unless water heights were unusually high, was never a problem. From my point of view, it appears only the modern 'fly bridge' type design of some broads cruisers and boats designed for sea use, rather than the broads, have a problem with the bridges. Maybe, a return to the more 'traditional' air draft that broads boats once had, is the answer. Who knows, Potter Heigham,  Wroxham, Beccles and Thorpe bridges could once again be passable by the majority, rather than the minority, of  broads built cruisers, just as they used to be...