Beware The Yare On The 31st May

Islander

5 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Maybe they are more concerned about getting to Reedham bridge while the tide is still against them, in case the thing doesn't open for them?

I was trying to work out why they had picked 3am depart but I think you are on to something there, high water at Reedham is 10am, so they should get there with a decent flow still against them as long as they can average around 3 kts

How do you stop a tow that size if you have a problem with delays,  apart from stopping it against a bridge.

Moorings are also few and far between if they need a plan B.

I suspect they know what they are doing,

Just wondering how you undertake this hype of operation given a few dodgy bridges.

4 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Not only that but the plating on the hull is pretty thin now by all accounts and being steel that'd going to be more on the waterline than anywhere else but does make a huge difference to its safety afloat under tow , the river is quite shallow in places but the main thing is I hope they have told the rowing club about this they are not famous for rowing on the wrong side of the river and coming around blind bends doing that for nothing .

In the words of Jeremy clarkson " what could possibly go wrong " :15_yum:

Is she steel? Now I had heard that she was built of aluminium.

The Novi Sad Friendship bridge  swung on Tuesday of this week. Albeit for a very short time. Carrow Bridge was blessed with a large gathering of burly men in orange boiler suits. For a "laying on of hands" to encourage the old girl to open.

Nothing happened.

She was never very reliable in her prime. However I am confident that she will rise for the occasion. If she will close is of course another matter.

Andrew

Edited by Wussername
  • Like 1

It's amazing how little has changed over time. A piece detailing the troubles of her arrival in Norwich!

Former Swedish Navy fast missile attack craft Vale arrived in Norwich on 1 September to begin a new career as the headquarters ship TS Lord Nelson for Norwich Sea Cadets (SCC). She replaces a historic former lightvessel that has been the cadets’ headquarters for 25 years.
Vale was built by Westermoen at Mandal in Norway in 1978, and was powered by twin MTU diesels developing 7,200bhp giving a speed of 35 knots. She served with the Swedish Navy until 1995 and was purchased by Norwich SCC in Lowestoft 2002. Plans to tow her to her new home were scuppered by Network Rail who welded shut the Trowse railway bridge over the river Wensum thus preventing vessels from passing through until it was reopened earlier this year.

• Thanks 2

Susie has just seen on Facebook that the 2 tugs have arrived at Trowse Eye and are moored at the BA moorings.

They look very suitable for the job. They also look as though they too, might need the bridges open before they can get up into Norwich.

Interesting to see how its done, one tug controls the bow and provides the propulsion, the other controls the stern and provides the 'brakes'

There is something about tug boats, love em

It sounds as though the towing of the 'T.S. Lord Nelson' from Norwich to Gt. Yarmouth, has gone without a hitch. The tug boat crews and the B.A. rangers, have done a thoroughly professional job. The bridges have opened and closed without a problem too, well done to everyone involved. :12_slight_smile: