Beware The Yare On The 31st May

Islander

The question that I have often asked (and I do wish that I had kept my old tide tables) is "Where have our 2 inches gone"?

12 years ago when I moved to Norfolk from Buckinghamshire Low Water Clearance in Summer at Potter was quoted as 6'8" then about 6 or 7 years ago suddenly it was 6'6".    What happened to those 2 inches?.

• Like 2

Not sure whether this has been covered anywhere else but it seems that Carrow Bridge was to be raised tomorrow morning at 10am to test that it is ok. But this has now been postponed due to nesting birds. They are hoping to rearrange this before the cadet vessel is due to leave. 

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/opening-of-carrow-bride-cancelled-due-to-nesting-birds-1-5540828

Maybe I paraphrased it incorrectly. Here's a direct quote ...

... A spokesman for the council said: “We are yet to confirm the new date of when the test will take place but it should be very soon before the boat leaves.

“Hopefully people will still be able to come and watch the bridge raise twice. But it is a nice reason for the test to be cancelled to make sure that any birds are safe.”

On 29/05/2018 at 08:57, kingfisher666 said:

It's been a long time since there was any 'maritime trade' in and out of the 'Port of Norwich'. I think that maybe the original law, regarding the right of passage through the bridges, probably had trading vessels in mind, rather than pleasure boats. I seem to remember too, that the vast majority of pleasure cruisers & yachts, up until the early eighties (or thereabouts), could quite easily navigate the road & railway bridges below Norwich Yacht Station. Some would have had to lower their windscreen and yachts lower their mast, but passage, unless water heights were unusually high, was never a problem. From my point of view, it appears only the modern 'fly bridge' type design of some broads cruisers and boats designed for sea use, rather than the broads, have a problem with the bridges. Maybe, a return to the more 'traditional' air draft that broads boats once had, is the answer. Who knows, Potter Heigham,  Wroxham, Beccles and Thorpe bridges could once again be passable by the majority, rather than the minority, of  broads built cruisers, just as they used to be...

Maybe "non traditional" air draft boats should negotiate a reduction in annual toll on the basis that:

The entire northern broads are not accessible and are are not used at all.

The 2 swing bridges are becoming frequently non operational. 

6 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

Maybe "non traditional" air draft boats should negotiate a reduction in annual toll on the basis that:

Rubbish , by a boat that suits the area , hence why I sold a virtually brand new narrow boat in Yorkshire because it would be difficult to accommodate on the broads , not particularly home mooring but those that are public ones , at 57 foot she was longer than most gin palaces , but my point is it would or at least I considered it to be selfish to demand that length of mooring even though as a tolled vessel I was entitled to do so .

To say that those who choose to buy vessels that don't fit in with the area that they have been moored within by their owners just because they can't use the entire system is ridiculous and as barmy as saying I can't use the narrow canals cos I'm too big and moor in York so I deserve a reduction of my CRT licence ,  horses for courses it a phrase that instantly springs to mind ! 

12 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Rubbish , by a boat that suits the area , hence why I sold a virtually brand new narrow boat in Yorkshire because it would be difficult to accommodate on the broads , not particularly home mooring but those that are public ones , at 57 foot she was longer than most gin palaces , but my point is it would or at least I considered it to be selfish to demand that length of mooring even though as a tolled vessel I was entitled to do so .

To say that those who choose to buy vessels that don't fit in with the area that they have been moored within by their owners just because they can't use the entire system is ridiculous and as barmy as saying I can't use the narrow canals cos I'm too big and moor in York so I deserve a reduction of my CRT licence ,  horses for courses it a phrase that instantly springs to mind ! 

Or take my boat elsewhere and if enough of  those with "non traditional" air draft boats followed suit would leave a massive hole in the income to the Broads Authority.

1 minute ago, Philosophical said:

Or take my boat elsewhere and if enough of  those with "non traditional" air draft boats followed suit leaving a massive hole in the income to the Broads Authority.

No worry's a lot at brooms did that a few yrs back I dont see that many spaces available or any massive reduction in BA revenue , suggest it to BA and see what response you receive , I doubt it will be favorable . and why should it , the rules and availably is known or can be found out , long before the decision to move a boat there is made , broads boats have always had low airdraft  that's why they are more in keeping with the area .

47 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

I would hazard a guess, that most people who own or hire a boat that is unable (because of high air draft) to access all parts of the Norfolk Broads, do so with full knowledge of that fact. They would also probably be aware that they would still be liable to pay the full toll or hire charge regardless. If they didn't, well perhaps they should have put their 'thinking hat' on, before buying or hiring such a craft... :default_smile:

3 minutes ago, kingfisher666 said:

I would hazard a guess, that most people who own or hire a boat that is unable (because of high air draft) to access all parts of the Norfolk Broads, do so with full knowledge of that fact. They would also probably be aware that they would still be liable to pay the full toll or hire charge regardless. If they didn't, well perhaps they should have put their 'thinking hat' on, before buying or hiring such a craft... :default_smile:

Exactly n that's what those with  wide beam boats on the canals do , the accept they cannot do the whole way on the network just as those with narrow boats over 60 feet do , if you have a high airdraft boat on a river system then you have 2 choice's accept the limitations or move it somewhere with less Limitations  , its as simple as that really .  

6 minutes ago, kingfisher666 said:

Actually that is true: it took very minimal research when looking for a mooring for my boat  to establish that the northern broads would be inaccessible, however the issues with the bridges on the southern broads and therefore access to the sea was not so apparent and that is my main link to the thread.

1 minute ago, BroadAmbition said:

well to my mind, if the bridge doesn't open, the boat wont be leaving.

Brilliant Sherlock, I can now see how you got where you are today - not on your looks alone!   :default_norty:    :default_beerchug:

Griff

Have any blokes on this forum got where they are today on looks alone?

Well there's a question eh?  When I left the RN I had three future career opportunities,  1) As an AA Patrolman   2)  Self employed Wall n Floor tiler   3) - A Yorkshire Gigolo   Option 1) was a good offer and I reckon I would have succeeded with it.  Option 3)  -  I soon realised that I just could not keep up with the demand!   :default_norty:

Griff

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BroadAmbition said:

Well there's a question eh?  When I left the RN I had three future career opportunities,  1) As an AA Patrolman   2)  Self employed Wall n Floor tiler   3) - A Yorkshire Gigolo   Option 1) was a good offer and I reckon I would have succeeded with it.  Option 3)  -  I soon realised that I just could not keep up with the demand!   :default_norty:

Griff

We met remember....... how long ago was this?

2 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

We met remember....... how long ago was this?

Chuffin Eck - My worst question as I have a rubbish memory nowadays, are you asking when we met or when I left the RN? - Answer to my leaving date was Oct 2000

Griff

I was asking how long ago it was in case the business opportunity was still there and you needed a partner, although I now understand it was 18 years ago do you think the demand is still there?

When did we meet; last weekend in Brundall!

Drifting away from the PM s on public forum and back to the subject , has anyone realised that there hasn't been a mariner's notice regarding this movement , one would expect one since its in the hire season and its a large unpowered boat under tow , hence a navigation hazard , just a point , but hey no worry's I'm In Norwich via rail  tomorrow lunchtime for supply's n a trip to yare house too, so I'll have a look and post an update my guess is its still there :15_yum: