Oil extractors

Hi All

A few weeks ago I assisted Plesbit with a bit of a service on his AD41, during which time we used his Pela 6000 oil extractor (on of the ball shaped ones). It took ages to get the oil out (well over an hour if my memory serves me).

This weekend was my engines' turn to get new lube, and Wayne had kindly lent me his extractor, which just happened to be the same type as Simons. Having done a few oil changes at DRL last year, using one of the tall cylindrical extractors, I was pretty convinced these had a lot more suck, and so bought one from Peachments on Saturday.

As a direct comparison, I set Wayne's extractor on the stbd engine, and my new one on the port. In the time it had taken my new extractor to fill to 6 litres, empty it, and then get another 2.5 litres (about 20 mins), the ball type extractor had only managed to suck out less than 2 litres.

The only problem with the cylindrical type extractors seems to be the pipes aren't quite long enough to reach the bottom of the sump, so about 8.5 litres plus the oil filter capacity was all I managed to get out. Some longer pipe needs to be sourced!

If anyone wants to borrow it anytime, just ask!

Hi Mark

The hour thing was pretty much my experiance too, but once I got fed up waiting for it I left it going and did the air and fuel filters. I think there are two problems with mine:

Firstly - the probe that goes down the dipstick hole is a very small dia so it is a bit like sucking treacle through a straw. It looks like it is a piece of outer from a bike brake cable. Just a small increase in dia. and it would still go down the hole but let the oil flow easier.

Secondly - because of the shape as it fills up there is less air that you can pump out to create a vacuum so the sucking pressure becomes less - I'm no mathemetican but I would have thought the air voulme on the ball shape left would be some sort of logrimitic value, whereas on the cylinder it would be linear.

Bored yet ? :yawn::yawn::yawn:

regards

Wayne

:lol::lol:

You lost me at logarithims Wayne, but yes I agree.. The extractor I bought has two different diameter pipes, and as luck would have it, the larger one fitted the dipstick hole nicely, which was probably more than twice the diameter of the one that came with yours, and the oil flowed out fast enough to be able to actually watch the level rising in the cylinder.

The Pela 6l is a very good piece if kit, not just for changing oil either, dragging diesel through if you replace the primary and engine filters is one, it can save ages over using the lift pump. Getting the last drop out of the bilges and inaccessible areas is another. Saves bleeding Ebo or Webos on a new fitment too you can just suck the diesel right to the pump.

So it's also Pela and also 6 litres? Who'd have thought the performance would be so different? I think Peachments will be getting a visit from me at some point, though I won't have to do my oil until the end of the season now.

I can recommend Force4 if you havn't used them. Ordered 2 items last week, had an email to say 1 item wasn't in stock and may be up to 7 days if i didn't mind waiting for it. Both items were delivered with in 2 days of the email. Very cheap delivery charges considering the size and weight of one of them. :clap

Having only ever changed the oil on my car am i right in thinking the only place to get my oil out is through the dipstick hole? I was thinking about changing the oil in a couple of weeks or in October with a full service and have no idea where to start.

If someone has a link to the pump i need that would be great.

Thanks muchly.

Hi Andy

Yes, the dipstick hole is where you shove your pipe. It will meet a bit of resistance at the bend at the bottom, but should slide through to the sump without too much hassle. The link Paul put above for Force4 is as good as any.

They work on a vacuum Andy, so about 10-20 pumps is all it takes to get it going and draw out 6L of oil! WHat you can do though, is pretend it's really hard work whilst relaxing with a beer and Angie will be none the wiser :naughty:

Mark I have some 10mm stiff poly plumb plastic pipe if this is the right external diameter let me know how much you need.

Jonathan

Unfortunately that's a bit big Jonathon, but if you have any 1/4" od that would be a different story :naughty: