Penalty Notice Glue Removal

ExSurveyor

Help,

The Blessed Authority have stuck an incorrect penalty notice on a perspex window,  needless to say the glue and plastic backing are stuck fast. Whilst I await a humble response from them with a proposal to rectify the damage,  any suggestions to remove the glue without damaging the perspex.

• Like 1

many many years ago (in my youth) there was a product called dab it off, used to clean sticky residue off of clothing etc, a while back (10 years or more) I found that a dry cleaning solution was sold that worked and smelt the same.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grendel said:

many many years ago (in my youth) there was a product called dab it off, used to clean sticky residue off of clothing etc, a while back (10 years or more) I found that a dry cleaning solution was sold that worked and smelt the same.

I think dabitoff was relauched not that long ago. But not in a glass bottle with a pad or based on Trichloroethylene. It was not nice to use as years ago it was used as an alternative to Ether. I have a feeling it is now used only industrially as it was found to be a carcinogen and when inhaled could cause arrhythmias. In fact I think it is pretty much banned everwhere. You need to be careful and test as suggested above because a common way of bonding and welding plastics is to use strong solvents like MEK.

• Thanks 1

I was told meths was the tool to use on modern plastic headlight cases to remove those beam benders when you go over the channel. 

White spirit damages the plastic. 

Ok it's some composite stuff the headlights are made of not plastic, but it worked. 

might work on your Windows?

• Thanks 1

After 3 hours effort it is removed.

Hair dryer to slowly remove the plastic film followed by WD40 with industrial wipes.

What possessed the ranger to break all the guidelines and stick it on perspex.

The marina had complained to the ranger when he announced his visit that they receive numerous complaints after such visits. "We don't stick them on GPR or doors because they cause damage", they offered to show him 3 recent notices examples of notices on wooden doors.

The tolls office were great,  they confirmed what I knew,  the boat  is tolled and they would pass my complaint on to the Head ranger or Head of Ranger services and they would contact me to.  Heard nothing but I have saved them over 250 pounds for a new window.

I wonder how quick I would be reported to the police if I vandalized a Rangers boat.

To say  I am hacked off is an understatement .

Thanks for all the prompt and useful advice.

20180601_173438.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Gulp.. God help them if they ever did that to our boats.  

The tolls office normally are very good, clearly a rogue ranger.. I'd hope that on the notice they will see who it was and have a strong word. 

At the very least I would send an invoice the head ranger for 3 hours labour at £50 an hour plus matierals.. Offer them 14 days terms.

Autoglym Bug and tar remover is very good on glues, we've used before to remove contact adhesives. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JawsOrca said:

At the very least I would send an invoice the head ranger for 3 hours labour at £50 an hour plus matierals.. Offer them 14 days terms.

I agree at the very least this is what you ought to do. 

If I had just spent (wasted) 3 hours removing that I would be absolutely livid!

• Like 1

Clearly BA needs to look their way of attaching notices to boats, whatever the infringement (actual or suspected) damage to a boat should not occur.

I shall await the response from BA,  the longer I wait,  the more I will pursue the matter, 

A phone  call or email within a couple of hours with an apology and a proposal to put it right would have helped,  the fact it is an obvious ongoing problem that is not being addressed just motivates me the get the problem officially sorted.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Islander said:

A simple toll disc would have saved a lot of time and stress. If the system ain't broke don't fix it.

Colin:default_drink_2:

Again, I recall there was a damage to boat issue with the toll stickers.

6 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

Again, I recall there was a damage to boat issue with the toll stickers.

Something you had to display but not necessarily on the bow/hull. Ours were fix to Perspex plaques hung off our pulpit. Any damage to a boat could be said to have been done by the owner. In this case the damage has been done by a BA ranger.

Colin :default_drink_2:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Islander said:

Something you had to display but not necessarily on the bow/hull. Ours were fix to Perspex plaques hung off our pulpit. Any damage to a boat could be said to have been done by the owner. In this case the damage has been done by a BA ranger.

Colin :default_drink_2:

Sadly not all boats have a pulpit to hang a perspex plaque from

2 minutes ago, Baitrunner said:

So did you have a valid and visible change toll ref number?

not trying to be awkward. But if not what do you expect?

Whatever it was they were expecting, I very much doubt it was to get their boat damaged.

13 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

Sadly not all boats have pulpit to hang a perspex plaque from

Very true Phil but I wouldn't stick one onto 8 coats of varnish of a woody. I would make something to stick them on and did. In this case what I see is the ranger not taking enough care in confirming facts before issuing a penalty notice. 

Colin

• Like 1