12v Table Lamp

23 minutes ago, Lastdraft said:

I am looking to buy a couple of 12v Table Lamps, can’t find any anywhere, do they exist ?  any help appreciated. Thanks 

Maybe you could buy normal 240v ones and swap the bulbs to 12v?

image.thumb.png.7096aa5e08d7acd9bd91e89c80d907d8.png

Right, Try e-Bay and search    Battery operated LED table lamp

I think that might come up with the results you want, however, I rather like the idea of finding a 12v LED bulb (or lamp if you prefer)  and putting it in a normal household table lamp then swapping the plug over to one for your boat's socket.

MM didn’t know I could do that ! I agree thank you.  This forum winds me up on occasions, but for advice and help , it’s first class. A mini problem I have been wrestling  with for a week, solved  in 10 minutes on the NBN. thanks all. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lastdraft said:

I am looking to buy a couple of 12v Table Lamps, can’t find any anywhere, do they exist ?  any help appreciated. Thanks 

Is there not a picture of such a thing on my last post? 

59 minutes ago, Lastdraft said:

On Ranworth Breeze I fiited a standard 240 volt table lamp with a cigar lighter plug and bought 12 volt 20 watt Bus lamps for giving the boat that subdued lighting when watching the TV or we leave it on as a welcoming light from our return from the pub.

They sell all the parts in Roy's DIY.

Regards

Alan 

As I said I’m not a technical person, but I like the idea of converting a normal 240v lamp. Didn’t know I could do that simply by changing the plug and bulb. I would never have thought of that.

Glad I asked the question  

I did something similar with a standard 50cm household gas cooker.

Changed the oven cavity light to a 12v bulb and the internal spark generator to a 12v unit and hey presto youve got something the Chandlers will charge you a fortune for!

25 minutes ago, Lastdraft said:

As I said I’m not a technical person, but I like the idea of converting a normal 240v lamp. Didn’t know I could do that simply by changing the plug and bulb. I would never have thought of that.

Glad I asked the question  

Yes, the bulbs (lamps) are available on e-bay albeit from China for reasonable prices. Just thought I'd better mention, if you are buying a new table lamp to do this, make sure that the switch is a straight On/Off and not one that gives more than one brightness.

15 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Yes, the bulbs (lamps)

MM is sorta correct a bulb coming into bloom might look good for a few days. But a lamp as giving off a warm light I'm sure would be more what you are looking for. You plant bulbs and illuminate lamps.

• Like 1

Not necessarily Charlie. this is like the arguments re Union Jack v Union Flag. If we accept Chambers dictionary and common usage a bulb is not only from a plant, it is also a round rubber sphere at the end of an antique motor horn as well as a lamp.

Anyway, I reckon I'll be buying a table lamp or two, modifying each of them to take a 12v illumination source and a cigar lighter plug. Such a portable light on board makes so much sense.

This has lead me to look at two other jobs to undertake. Upgrading the fuse box to take blade fuses and installing several cigar lighter sockets around the boat. Given my DIY skills, this should be fun !!! :-)  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bound2Please said:

MM is sorta correct a bulb coming into bloom might look good for a few days. But a lamp as giving off a warm light I'm sure would be more what you are looking for. You plant bulbs and illuminate lamps.

I just went into Roys and asked for a "table lamp illumination device", they said they hadn't got any and then asked "would these bulbs work ?"