A Close Call

Wussername

So, just to keep things simple. Should my CO sensor/alarm be mounted at floor level or ceiling level.

Thankyou for the scientifics but I'm sure some people here are/may still be a little confused.

Colin:default_beerchug:

I was always under the impression that the Acid Rain that fell on Scandinavia was as a result of our coal fired power stations emmitting vast quantities of sulphur and nitrous oxides which was wind driven their way. When it combined readily with rain it fell as sulphuric and nitric H2SO4 and HNO3. In weak solution

3 minutes ago, Islander said:

So, just to keep things simple. Should my CO sensor/alarm be mounted at floor level or ceiling level.

Thankyou for the scientifics but I'm sure some people here are/may still be a little confused.

Colin:default_beerchug:

Above you sleeping head position by 18 inches min.ceiling level in saloon where sitting and standing.

• Thanks 1

The whole acid rain rubbish is completely thought of differently now. And the Sulphure dioxides weren’t ours as it turns out. 

This was  proven when we put the scrubbers in to remove the issues  but the eutrophication of the lakes continued unabated. 

CO detectors as high as you can reasonably get em. Ours is on the shelf with the booze. 

M

Thanks Martin & Grendel. Now I understand the situation I can make a reasoned risk assessment and act accordingly. What I am less keen on is being told I have to take precautions or face penalisation (ie BSS requirements)

When I rode motorcycles I wore crash helmets before they were compulsory. In cars I wore seat belts before I was told I had to, I just object to the constant erosion of freedom by the nanny state. If I want to wear a life jacket I will, and sometimes do. Etc. etc.

I think I've made my point.

Generally, I do many things especially on the boat, that would have the "Must stay safe" brigade hurling stuff at me (the stuff being carefully wrapped in soft material so as not to cause injury).

I am solo far more often than not, yet have still managed to make a cup of tea whilst underway. I leave the helm often and I drink too much and have been doing so for 40 years, yet nobody else has suffered from this delinquent behaviour. For many, drinking and boating go hand in hand. I support this attitude. We are having fun. Have I been a pain to those around me owing to booze? I think not. Have I rammed anyone by not being at the helm? No, never. Do I insist others do as I do... NO CERTAINLY NOT. 

• Like 6