Help Required For Volvo Penta Aq115

1 minute ago, Philosophical said:

I thought the closest to running was a momentary cough?????

You still need battery power to get a cough. I had one of these. It was a right pain if not run all winter until i fitted electronic ignition then no more problems

2 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

You still need battery power to get a cough. I had one of these. It was a right pain if not run all winter until i fitted electronic ignition then no more problems

Rather than diagnosis by replacement I prefer to identify the root cause of the problem and then consider upgrades as part of the repair. 

Have you tried pumping the throttle lever a couple of times the carburetor isn't  fitted with a choke you need to pump some fuel via the accelerator pump that is connected to throttle lever when cold starting. to check ignition remove cap turn engine to close points remove lead from centre of cap hold neer block flick points open should get a spark from end of cable if so flick points rapidly should spark rapidly if not condenser duff if sparking ok check carbon bush in centre of cap that it contacts top of rotor arm they can fall out, you could have low compression because oil has drained from rings try removing plugs squirt some redex in plug holes lay a cloth over plug holes turn engine over on starter, leave for awhile replace plugs pump throttle and try to start with a quarter throttle. you could go to motor factors and get a spark plug tester it plugs into end of lead and on to spark plug should flash brightly if ignition spark is coming from distributor.John

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

If all else fails Give French Marine Motors a call. Chris French has depot in Rackenheath.

French Marine Motors has moved to Brundall.

Another question you could ask yourself is "what have I done to the engine since it last worked", that could give a clue.

15 hours ago, Warnerua4 said:

Ive got a kit which I'm going to try next I've changed the plugs points and condenser. I've found tdc till my arms hurt and the rocker box has been on and off like a traffic light. There is petrol in the lines but  apart from a momentary cough not a sausage 

Sorry if this is obvious  but "TDC valves closed"  is when both rockers are "up" (valve end) and there is a clearance between the rocker arm and the top of the valve. Another test is that if you rotate the engine a little the rockers do not move.  TDC transition between exhaust and induction will see one of the rockers arms are down (valve end)  and if the engine is rotated a little both the rockers will move a little. this means the valves are open. Again I apologise if you already knew this but the mistake has been made before.  

Thanks to everyone for the advice so far I had to admit defeat on Tuesday as I had run out of ideas, time and body strength all at the same time. However I have following several people's advice learned  (1) How to find TDC (springs up push rods down) (2) Firing orders and not to take all the leads off without marking them (3) Fitting and checking of points and plugs. (need to buy a new feeler gauge with numbers on I can read) I feel convinced that I will resolve the issue on my next day off or die trying thanks again to all for the up dates and will check the petrol situation next. Fingers crossed.

47 minutes ago, Warnerua4 said:

Thanks to everyone for the advice so far I had to admit defeat on Tuesday as I had run out of ideas, time and body strength all at the same time. However I have following several people's advice learned  (1) How to find TDC (springs up push rods down) (2) Firing orders and not to take all the leads off without marking them (3) Fitting and checking of points and plugs. (need to buy a new feeler gauge with numbers on I can read) I feel convinced that I will resolve the issue on my next day off or die trying thanks again to all for the up dates and will check the petrol situation next. Fingers crossed.

Good luck!

Oh yes the first and second rule of intelligent tinkering:

1 - Keep all of the pieces

2 - Remember where they went

• 2 weeks later...

Just to keep you all amused I sorted out the firing order and top dead centre I even got it to start up although in very high revs so obviously a tweet or two required on the carb mixture. I am however presently laid up in the Norfolk and Norwich hospital having had a suspected heart attack so the additional rule must be learn when enough is enough

• Sad 5

May I wish you a speedy recovery.

I have to say that a lesson learned many years ago was:- Some jobs are a step too far and the best solution is to throw money at the problem, sit back, and let a professional have the agro.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...